1688 with 1020 header

hardknocks

I have ordered the pigtail from case and it will be here Friday. I will tackle it again when I put the pigtail on.  Thank you for all the Info this is much appreciated    With all you guys knowledge I should get this fixed

the last pic. that was posted the linkage pivot point is to high. looks like u used existing holes in header frame? you dont use those holes need to drill new holes 1 3/4 inch down from them. then move linkage to top hole in pivot. i have installed many of those kits over the years. never had to modify anything other than adding the pigtail for older machines. once every thing is set right it will be within correct voltage range

Ok I’m thinking about getting a upgrade to my head now. I’m pulling my hair out. My head is got a lot of issues besides the float.it does not feed in from cutter bar.Found a 2006 head. Will that one work on my 1688. They said it would and are willing to let me try it first. And do I still need pig tail. To make float work.If I do how do I know if I need to switch wires 

if u hook head up then in auto mode if u push head height button and it works backwards with pigtail remove it. if backwards without pigtail install it. the serial no. break is somewhere around jjc 200000. as far as not feeding are u meaning reel isnt putting beans into auger or auger fingers doesnt feed into throat? both are adjustable to cure your problem as long as finger crankshaft isnt broke or bent really bad. u do have all the fingers in the head? there is a full flighting kit that does away with fingers that works really well if crank is messed up

They are not feeding in from cutter bar. And real has all fingers. And pulled back and down.   Right behind the cutter bar there is a raised ledge. They are hanging on.  I put pigtail on and it operators up and down but on manual. Nothing on auto. 

All the same comments about AHHC that applied to your older head, also apply to a newer 1020.    Still have the same pot & wiring, still needs the reducer/reverser.

if no hdr height control are u running bar in middle of travel most of the time? reel could need finger timing set. how fast is reel speed? are a few things i can think of. if was close enough would help u figure out gremlins. find a old ih mechanic in your area

sometimes the small things get u. got a call from older farmer in area the other day. he said his ahhc didnt work. i show up he lowers head and as soon as he lets off button head quits going down. i get meter out to check voltage but first get in cab and try myself no go. start to diagnose and no juice. decide to start at auto switch so get back in cab to check. notice reel was in auto but not head height. i was just up there aqnd tried it. push switch to auto works perfect. all i can say is it **** to get old and overlook the simple stuff i would of caught 40 yrs ago

I understand.  Where u coming from on overlooking. Things it’s easy.  I’ve just leaving dealer. And he’s bringing this head  out. Tomorrow.  I’ve fought this head. For  4 years.  Had 3 mechanics and me. And father in law look.  They said get rod kit. Do away with cable.   So maybe this head. Will work.  Im not replacing it just because of float.  There is many other issues.   So here is serial number. So maybe if auto float doesn’t work.I can call u direct if you willing

91541159-59E1-4828-94D0-3816B7F82C45.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

All the same comments about AHHC that applied to your older head, also apply to a newer 1020.    Still have the same pot & wiring, still needs the reducer/reverser.

What you mean reducer/reverser.   You mean the pig tail