What is this? tiller, cultivator, weeder?

yellowrosefarm

The guy I got it from called it a tiller, but I never saw a true tiller without shielding, or with adjustable tine spacing. Also, the hitch is homemade and the frame is very lightweight compared to the very heavy duty gearbox and chain drives. Someone welded extensions on every tine so it must have been useful. It is about 7' wide and the chain covers have remnants of yellow paint. There is an ID tag but all I can make out is Farm with something after that.

quince tractor implement 004.JPG

Kind of looks home made to me.  I'm thinking Danny is onto something.  An arena groomer?  I would imagine it would throw a lot of dust in that application.  Looks dangerous depending on how fast those tines move.  How heavy is the bracing at the center of the tine shaft?

There is no provision for, or remnant of a shield that I can determine.  The shafts are supported by  bearings at the middle of the unit with one tine holder to the inside. The one on the right in the picture is missing. Tine holders are made to be easily moved along the shaft, maybe for row spacing????  He thought this thing had come out of an area where peanut farming was done, but I don't know that for sure.  With the lack of a factory hitch, I'm wondering if it could have been part of something else originally