Air reel on a 1020

Mike56073

Has anyone on here installed an air system on a 1020 head.  If so, how do you like it?  I’ve only got a 15 foot head, but after seeing all the lost beans that germinated back this fall I’m thinking it might be worth it?

Pros/cons?   How much power does it take to run?

We have a AWS Air Bar on our 20' 1020 head that we have on our 1992 1660. We would never run any bean head (auger or draper) without the air bar after having it. We figure the air bar paid for itself the first year. For us, it was cheaper to buy a different head with the air bar already on it than to purchase the air bar and install it on our current head.

Ours is a AWS, I really like that there is no gearbox to drive the blower to go out on it, just a simple belt drive system.

We really don't notice the power needed to run the blower, maybe with a bigger head on this machine we would, can't really say.

Really the only con that I can think of is the trash that gets blown around the head. I purchased a debris deflector to keep the trash from collecting on the feederhouse and restricting the view of the head.

20181017_180525.thumb.jpg.afc1148811dacf37aef54917e52ffc46.jpg

I got a steal of a deal on a 1020 with an air reel last year. Definitely noticeable the power the fan takes. Maybe use a 1/4 gallon of fuel more per acre???? I used to be spot on 1 gallon and acre, now it's higher but not much.

For the first time ever I'm seeing germinated beans in the field. most are right in the middle but some out on the edges, assume shatter from the sickle. The beans bouncing off the windshield is almost nonexistent,  short beans are a dream to combine now.

Other than the gearbox to maintain and extra fuel I see no major con to an air system. 

Back when we sold a lot of 1020s for beans, several of them were equipped with an air reel of some sort. Guys that had them wouldn't run one without an air reel. After we sold MacDons instead, we hardly ever sold an air reel system. Guys just feel the reel/sickle proximity is better on a draper head...and you also don't have the reel beating the cut crop back into the auger on a draper head like you do an auger head.

Now, this year we did put air reels on a couple 45' MacDons for customers due to the fact we do have some real short beans around here. The bad thing about air reels on bigger heads is that there is some extra weight out in front of the header....can make it difficult for the combine to pickup the header with that extra weight so far forward of the combine/header.

One of our salesman was talking to one of our MacDon customers that have 2 new heads on Deere combines. They installed air reels on them before harvest this fall. With both machines running in the same field, they shut off the air reel system on one machine just to compare with/without an air reel. The yield monitor on the machine with the air reel shut off was consistently 1-2bpa less than the machine with the air reel still running. They felt the air reels would pay for themselves pretty quickly in this year's beans.

We`ve been raising beens for 10 years now. Up until this year some of those beans were cut with a 1020. The first 4 years we raised them we didnt have air. Then we got a 1020 with air and wow did it work so much better on our short beans we raise up here. There was no way we would have went back. Now we have 2 flagship combines so we have 2 macdons. One with air and one without, we dont see near the difference on them as we did on the 1020 

7 hours ago, caseih2388 said:

We`ve been raising beens for 10 years now. Up until this year some of those beans were cut with a 1020. The first 4 years we raised them we didnt have air. Then we got a 1020 with air and wow did it work so much better on our short beans we raise up here. There was no way we would have went back. Now we have 2 flagship combines so we have 2 macdons. One with air and one without, we dont see near the difference on them as we did on the 1020 

I had a 1020 with a crary air reel and loved it it was so nice to see how high I could get away with running the reel and not beat on the beans. Like you caseih2388 I went to a Mac don version on my 7010. love the way it cuts and feeds the beans but the reel is much to be desired. It wraps and throws beans terribly especially this year with the tall green stems we had. Kinda wondering if an air bar or reel would help with that so we could raise it up out of the tangled mess a little 

Cole the Cornstar ( and family) installed a Crary unit on their new to them bean head this year. Caused problems with the header cart, but seems to work well. Check it out on YouTube, watch all of the videos on it to see all of the different issues they had.

I have a AWS on Deere 635F. IMO it was worth the cost for harvesting dry beans, Turn it off the bean stock lays on top of sickle, turn it on it keeps all the plant material moving to the auger.