2021 deer hunting pics, post em

Rusty shackleford

14 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

People started early this morning. Legal light is right now 6:07am CST. Heard first 2 shots at 5:30. Up to 5 shots I’ve heard now.

Years ago I was sitting in a stand on a cold, clear morning. Heavy frost and dead calm. Heard the buzz of full auto off in the distance. Probably several miles away but un-mistakable. 

Ten years ago the one neighbor shot 20 minutes before legal. Another neighbor told me they said that it must have been close and big. It was 3 yards and a really big 11 point and a young kid with his dad 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rrr4quality said:

Unfortunately I here quite a few gun shots the evening before opening day!

It could be some who traveled double checking it is still on , hopefully anyway

1 minute ago, bitty said:

Ten years ago the one neighbor shot 20 minutes before legal. Another neighbor told me they said that it must have been close and big. It was 3 yards and a really big 11 point and a young kid with his dad 

I get a few minutes give or take. I’d say the person I heard this morning had it in their headlights on the way to the woods. I wouldn’t have a problem with that if it was done on a doe by a guy wanting to eat it and feed his family legitimately. People driving around head hunting is bad news.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I get a few minutes give or take. I’d say the person I heard this morning had it in their headlights on the way to the woods. I wouldn’t have a problem with that if it was done on a doe by a guy wanting to eat it and feed his family legitimately. People driving around head hunting is bad news.

I agree, myself if I was trying to get a good shot and it is near quitting time I would concentrate on the shot and not did the clock add a minute or two

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bitty said:

I agree, myself if I was trying to get a good shot and it is near quitting time I would concentrate on the shot and not did the clock add a minute or two

Right

• Like 1

My nephews NY opening day buck

Screenshot_20211120-090843.png

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Mine from late this morning.  

FFE4CFA4-7731-4D1B-91EF-44C3E87DDF38.jpeg

16E808AC-83BD-4684-B712-572FE8FB2000.jpeg

That G2 gives him some neat character

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He was quartering away hard. I moved the shot a few inches back because of this. Round went in just right. Destroyed vitals and blew through the opposite shoulder blade. In the 15+ years I’ve used this muzzleloader, I’ve never shot a deer and found the bullet. This was just under the skin on the opposite side.  Barnes Spitfire MZ Expander in 285gr. Last pic shows a new one minus the sabot. 

364C127D-AE0A-4599-857F-151E369BED07.jpeg

9C796F6D-F1F2-4C84-BE73-DE4980C0E665.jpeg

B8E39D67-0B68-40D4-BDE2-07829AF092B4.jpeg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

He was quartering away hard. I moved the shot a few inches back because of this. Round went in just right. Destroyed vitals and blew through the opposite shoulder blade. In the 15+ years I’ve used this muzzleloader, I’ve never shot a deer and found the bullet. This was just under the skin on the opposite side.  Barnes Spitfire MZ Expander in 285gr. Last pic shows a new one minus the sabot. 

I have found multiple times with my 7mm08 just like you are saying inside the skin just before an exit wound

37 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Just curious what you’re using for powder and how much ? Roy 

56 minutes ago, Triple r 706 said:

Just curious what you’re using for powder and how much ? Roy 

Accurate 5744. I’d have to put a load on the scale to tell you for sure. The gun is a Savage that is specifically rated for smokeless powders.  It’s not a hot load at all. Bagged several at 200yds plus over the years. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

That's a great looking bullet. We have dug out LOTS of .44 bullets. The 200 grain Noslers we shoot catch under the skin on the far side a lot.

Pretty sure all of these were recovered from deer we shot, mostly perfect mushrooms. one the jacket separated from the core.

IMG_1224.JPG

• Like 3

We had a trail cam setup right where I shot the deer yesterday overlooking a scrape. This pic was about 5 seconds before I shot him.  He stopped at the cedar tree on the left of the photo. 

60F16E2F-FA2A-4234-A37B-6957079A5D59.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

We had a trail cam setup right where I shot the deer yesterday overlooking a scrape. This pic was about 5 seconds before I shot him.  He stopped at the cedar tree on the left of the photo. 

60F16E2F-FA2A-4234-A37B-6957079A5D59.jpeg

That's neat 

• Like 3

Rifle season opening tomorrow morning. I have to line up my supplies yet. Have my snack to last all day with my son that can eat a lot . Sounds like a chilly day. Hoping to see something for him . He had gotten three before

IMG_20211126_205513388.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bitty said:

Rifle season opening tomorrow morning. I have to line up my supplies yet. Have my snack to last all day with my son that can eat a lot . Sounds like a chilly day. Hoping to see something for him . He had gotten three before

IMG_20211126_205513388.jpg

Looks like its gone be a sugar rush day. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Wes806 said:

Looks like its gone be a sugar rush day. LOL

Usually get raided by my cousins and others . Been a tradition, have some regular food along also

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bitty said:

Usually get raided by my cousins and others . Been a tradition, have some regular food along also

Hopefully y'all see what you want and bag it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

No deer from the PA opener today?

My neighbors missed a bear (4 shots) , I saw nothing this morning, 3 bucks 6 doe and 4 Coyote tonight. Missed two shots at the coyotes at 325 yards . I passed the bucks I saw bigger 8 was 100" I saw. One of the yotes ran over the hill and my cousin missed it at 160 so we had a poor day for getting anything .

Picked food plot corn yesterday with my 1PR picker 

My afternoon view from+26' up 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bitty said:

My neighbors missed a bear (4 shots) , I saw nothing this morning, 3 bucks 6 doe and 4 Coyote tonight. Missed two shots at the coyotes at 325 yards . I passed the bucks I saw bigger 8 was 100" I saw. One of the yotes ran over the hill and my cousin missed it at 160 so we had a poor day for getting anything

Very windy or at least breezy here.  That kept the action down.

Out this morning saw 8 doe . Nephew Peter got this one after a bigger one made it through the shooting lane too quickly for him. Should be out after I get home from church

Screenshot_20211128-090918.png

• Like 5