Rustlin’ 2021 style. Im fed up

zleinenbach

My grandpa has 40 acres of nearly all wooded ground that butts directly to my dads 83 acres, of which there is crop able ground. The renter, who I felt was a trusted individual and considered a friend, has increased said crop able ground to essentially eliminate any and all pasture ground that was kind of used as an erosion control and woods break. 

so grandpa has been admitted to a nursing home at the age of 90, and he hasn’t been able to get around the best so he asked me to keep an eye on things for him. 
Friendly renter has been cropping a patch of his (1-1.5 acres) every year for last 10 years, and even went so far as to include his name as cash rent farmer on grandpas CRP agreement.

Tore out the corner post three consecutive years on accident, removed line fence, plants through the property lines...the works

the catch is-there’s no rent $ transferred and gpa has never met the guy. Grandpa still has his mind about him so I feel confident in his words there.

I’m unsure if this is my dads resentment towards his former father in law, or this guy saying it’s just to clean out his planter boxes, or what. And it’s such a small amount of land that it technically shouldn’t be an issue, but it’s the principle behind it. The shady dealings and b.s. need to stop

so now to re-install a little more substantial corner post, a few words to the wise every 300’, and a short prayer that this attempt at righting this wrong doesn’t go south in a hurry.

its one thing to steal. But it’s even worse when it’s an old man who wouldnt have a clue you were doing it.

FB2AF48D-65C9-4723-B253-4CA87A52F844.jpeg

5FCE71E3-5063-4CEB-A745-4AD2D7B16614.jpeg

• Sad 2

That should keep anyone from rubbing the line on purpose. Unfortunately, greed is the primary driving force behind all too many people these days. 

The lack of respect shown by some for another person and their property, sadly, is pretty common today. 

Wish you luck with this jerk.

Hope the corner post and a stern face to face will suffice and you can move on to other things. 

Glad your grandpa has you to watch out for his interests. 

• Like 1

I guess I’m guilty of the same thing the entrance to an old cemetery butts up to a small crop field and over the years I have encroached on it by a few feet. Not on purpose or with I’ll intent it’s just that as the equipment keeps getting bigger you tend to make wider sweeping turns. 

1 hour ago, from H to 80 said:

I guess I’m guilty of the same thing the entrance to an old cemetery butts up to a small crop field and over the years I have encroached on it by a few feet. Not on purpose or with I’ll intent it’s just that as the equipment keeps getting bigger you tend to make wider sweeping turns. 

Never would’ve been an issue had he asked. Or truly an honest mistake. On the other side of dads ground he is farming an entire right of way the county owns. He’s just being a jerk. I do t want to get into a huge argument with him, but for Gosh sake he could let it be for a bit!!!

if I knew I wouldn’t get kicked off of here I’d explain the entire thing. Bunch of self serving a holes all in kahoots with each other.

If m trying to teach my kids that what’s right is right, all the time, no matter what iit is or who you are. So even though it’s my dad, and he’s turned his nose to me and my family, I feel it needs to be called out.

• Like 1

Check your local fence laws.  Here in Iowa, a fence on the wrong place becomes the property line if not disputed after about 10 years.  Like you, I would make sure at least the corner post is maintained and large enough to be hard to remove or do damage to equipment if “accidentally” hit..

We have a couple of quarters that are fenced so we can graze the stubble after harvest some times there is a lot to graze some not. Any way our fence is set off the center of the section line a little over 33 feet so we can make 2 passes with the haybine.  Some years the grass is really good some not so good but not uncommon to get 4-5 bales on a half mile.  Some how the section line trail is on my side and the BTO farms his plus a little. When I cut my side I take take the 2 passes and cut what ever he has planted on my side.  If I need to drive that trail I move over to have one wheel on his crop.

The hands down worst experiences of my life were with family. My brother and his wife have caused me a lot of stress. I was never more glad when he said he was no longer going to farm with us. Good riddance. If family members want to be jerks, that’s fine with me. Just don’t expect any less in return.

14 minutes ago, Timothy56 said:

fence is set off the center of the section line

Across the fence to my south the "road" runs along the edge of my neighbors pivot. 

He usually farms as much of it as he can..

I just drive where the road has always been, no issues. 

He asked me awhile ago if he could put in a couple of gates so we could move the road into my pasture and he could farm right up to the fence. 

I smiled and said no thank you. 

It was never brought up again, no problems. 

• Like 1

Funny, my cousin and I were talking about how the renters of their Mom's place have a habit of getting into the fence.

That length of casing, especially if you set it in the ground somewhere close to the purple/green line, should serve as a wake-up call, when it is hit.

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

Funny, my cousin and I were talking about how the renters of their Mom's place have a habit of getting into the fence.

That length of casing, especially if you set it in the ground somewhere close to the purple/green line, should serve as a wake-up call, when it is hit.

The old telephone pole post was fine for 50 years. Now all of a sudden it jumps in the way. 

5” sch 40 pipe buried 6’ deep and 42” up. Don’t want to cause harm, but maybe they’ll notice

• Like 1

. I would consider finding the property line with his assistance ( just make sure he agrees or you are 100% right) and plant some trees on the property line. 

2 hours ago, hillman said:

. I would consider finding the property line with his assistance ( just make sure he agrees or you are 100% right) and plant some trees on the property line. 

Survey crew already put corner marker back up. So that’s a no dispute. I’m afraid if I spend the $ to put trees up he might “accidentally”knock em with round up or the likes...

14 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

Survey crew already put corner marker back up. So that’s a no dispute. I’m afraid if I spend the $ to put trees up he might “accidentally”knock em with round up or the likes...

Have experienced similar situations in my real estate practice (appraiser and broker) as well as with family land.

My 2 cents worth:  have surveyor who set corner------survey and flag location on each marker post you intend to set.  Set posts and record survey with posts noted at courthouse.

Don't quite fully understand everything-------but with Mississippi law a tenant can not claim adverse posession.  (can't say for your state)

No doubt big equipment makes for meandering property lines.

Might be worth your while to run by an attorney????   

Good luck

DD

I’ve went to attorney to get it written up that any and all permission given by anyone other than property owner (grandpa) is null and void, and written permission by property owner is required from this point forward, and enforceable by anyone property owner chooses. I didn’t and don’t want it to sound like I’m commandeering it or anything.

i liken it to tap dancing in a mine field lol