5488 engine ???

mrfred54

Looking at a 5488 the other day and it has a two year old reman caseIH  engine. Stamped in the block it is a dt436. His paper work says its a 466. So my question is, how can you find out what it really is. The owner never realized this till I was looking at it. 5488 should have a 466. It does have the inner cooler.

The only real way to know is to pull it a part and see, i wouldn't even trust the paper work if he had it. Over the years we have had a hand full of those mother case remans all but one was 466's, i would not buy another but that's a different story, anyway this last one we got and maybe the one before it if i'm not mistaken didn't have anything stamped on it and we traded 436's in for cores  

When SRC remans an engine, the 400 series block can be just about whatever core block was available at the time.  So a 414 could be remanufactured from a 436 block, or a 466 remanufactured from a 436 block.  The internals are interchangeable, so it's built to whatever reman engine is demanded at that time.  They are not allowed to grind off or remove original serial numbers from the block, they can just place their tag over top.

• Like 2

Had a couple I've run across like that too. Block usually says dt468 and then the sticker from src says something different. Only way to tell would be drop the pan and look up casting codes on the crankshaft. 

Does it actually say DT? If not and  you end up pulling the pan to check casting numbers, double check to make sure it’s got the dual oil cooling jets, in case it’s a naturally aspirated block.

38 minutes ago, Mike56073 said:

Does it actually say DT? 

You do realize if the block serial # starts out with "466DT" that it isn't a factory turbocharged engine? 

A factory turbocharged 466 block serial # will start out "466TT".....

Travis

Those engines are like the small block chevy's so many versions and so easy to hide what it really is 

This also has a reman injection pump from caseIH. He says its not low on power, never had it dyno'ed. He has 24 -28 foot equipment and has no trouble pulling what ever is hooked to it. No front wheel assist though🤔

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

You do realize if the block serial # starts out with "466DT" that it isn't a factory turbocharged engine? 

Travis

I did not know that, always learning something new here . If I can just remember it now .

6 hours ago, Sparky said:

Travis

They won’t always say “466”, either

12 hours ago, Nebraska1206 said:

When SRC remans an engine, the 400 series block can be just about whatever core block was available at the time.  So a 414 could be remanufactured from a 436 block, or a 466 remanufactured from a 436 block.  The internals are interchangeable, so it's built to whatever reman engine is demanded at that time.  They are not allowed to grind off or remove original serial numbers from the block, they can just place their tag over top.

Here the Reman tag on the engine in my 186. I couldn’t get a good angle on the number that’s stamped in the block, but it says 414. 

6DCB9CEB-E77C-476F-9221-5A7166D9A84D.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

They won’t always say “466”, either

For the sake of simplicity and trying not to confuse the confusable any more than they need be, I didn't mention the 467 or 468 that could be there, too.

Travis

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

437 too!

Yes.....there are blocks stamped 414, 415, 436, 437, 466, 467, 468....but we are talking about the factory engine in a 5488 which would be a variant of the 466.

Travis

...and to further the argument, or to prove a point, one of my customers has an SRC reman DT436 engine in a 1486. The original stamping on the block says DT466.  SRC has never seen the need to grind away the original engine serial number. That's why they put their own tag on it.

• Like 1