30-30 ammunition?

mrfred54

Had my Dads 30-30 Winchester (1948) restored and gave it to my son on his birthday and now I cant find any ammo. Been all over here in mid Mich and nobody has it. Even tried Cabelas, no luck. Sure isn't like the good ole days.

They have been scarce. Seen a few boxes here and there at smaller farm stores but no real supply in several months. Even then, they sure aren’t $7 per box like they were when we shot them a lot 15-20 years ago.

Checl the online sources, midway, cheaper than dirt, buds gun shop, palmetto state armory, sportsman’s outdoor superstore, there are others . Personally haven’t bought or looked for any 30-30 lately but i have heard it is hard to come by. I suspect resources are being spent on the popular rounds, lots of 30-30 rifles out there but not many being shot. It was THE go to deer cartridge around here for eons fell out of favor in recent years. 

I was trying to find some for the past year and a half. Finally found one box, 40 bucks for 20 rounds. I believe all the energy is being put into 7.62, 556, 6.5 and the other more popular cartridges

I had luck with Lucky gunner 

I got two old skewl 30-30 both lever guns of course.   Winchester 94 ranger I bought new 20+ years ago and I have my dads western field (Marlin) that I think is a 1960's era gun.   

Still have a few rounds for them but not a lot either.   Don't shoot them much. 

Probably short on supplies since Remington ammo factory was down for a while. I’d see them as the ones to make most of those rounds anyway. Time to start reloading them. If you can find enough supplies to reload

Matt 

• 2 weeks later...

Picked some .30-30 up at a feed store in Colorado a while back.

He has a guy whose only job is to scour the internet for ammo to stock.

I was able to fill in some holes and now have enough for each firearm I own that I quit looking.

Lucky Gunner is not cheap but they do seem to have a decent supply.

I have heard .223 and .308 is showing up on shelves in good quantities hopefully to be followed by other calibers.

Now if I could just find some .32 rimfire, I would send a care package😃

• Haha 2

1948, my birth year, got pics? My oldest remmy is a ‘59, had it redone and I did the stock, great guns.

I’ve got a marlin 44/40 that is dated 1894, no redo on this one, patina baby let’er live the way she started.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Picked some .30-30 up at a feed store in Colorado a while back.

He has a guy whose only job is to scour the internet for ammo to stock.

I was able to fill in some holes and now have enough for each firearm I own that I quit looking.

Lucky Gunner is not cheap but they do seem to have a decent supply.

I have heard .223 and .308 is showing up on shelves in good quantities hopefully to be followed by other calibers.

Now if I could just find some .32 rimfire, I would send a care package😃

Sandhiller , ol' friend.....you could not afford   a box of 32    RF.:mellow:.......anyway , you cannot send that sort of dangerous stuff through the postal system...it would need an armed gaurd.....you could hire a Conestoga...from the Amish....get ol' Jake with    his 44   Marlin....and you with your Benelli     and head South   West....

...and I could trade you some .30   Winchester    Ammunition....I have about   500   rds of   that stuff, from   various    Company's .   Deal ????

Mike

...and you have yet to give me a valuation     of the 1895    Winchester  ,that I asked for....well...an approximate  valuation, please  , with your standard  logo on the valuation sheet...:rolleyes:

Example :                         "'Sandpapers   Gun   Exchange       and Mortuary   Service  "'

"'We aim to please...You plug   'em.....We plant  'em....Same day service..No refunds  ""

"" Plastic   guns accepted on trades..... Plastic Chamber pots for sale...  "'Nebraska Ranch  ''   size  available''

...and for that special occasion    ""The Bidet  Option ""..complete   with hollow tube ''directional  handle''   is now available "

Various   calibers    to choose from  ...call  204-673- 0054......Press  one ..and ask for ''Customer Service ''

Yeah...something like that, Jeff , would be satisfactory......gives it that professional   touch....  Thankyou

• Haha 6

Bought a set of dies for 30-30 years ago. They were slightly used Forster Benchrest dies. When they were $7 a box all my buddies were throwing brass away while I was picking it up. 

• Like 4

I hope you find some. I've not seen any on the shelves in this area in over a year. Matter of fact, I finally broke down and bought a set of dies and other things to reload for my Marlin 336. For some reason I never got into reloading for it, I guess because the ammo was so cheap? 

Just a quick check of Ammoseek.com shows some Remington 170gr available, but they are $49.99/box. Pretty pricey IMHO. You might check Gunbroker; most of that stuff is over-priced, but occasionally you get a deal. 

Mac

3 hours ago, mike newman said:

Sandhiller , ol' friend.....you could not afford   a box of 32    RF.:mellow:.......anyway , you cannot send that sort of dangerous stuff through the postal system...it would need an armed gaurd.....you could hire a Conestoga...from the Amish....get ol' Jake with    his 44   Marlin....and you with your Benelli     and head South   West....

...and I could trade you some .30   Winchester    Ammunition....I have about   500   rds of   that stuff, from   various    Company's .   Deal ????

Mike

...and you have yet to give me a valuation     of the 1895    Winchester  ,that I asked for....well...an approximate  valuation, please  , with your standard  logo on the valuation sheet...:rolleyes:

Example :                         "'Sandpapers   Gun   Exchange       and Mortuary   Service  "'

"'We aim to please...You plug   'em.....We plant  'em....Same day service..No refunds  ""

"" Plastic   guns accepted on trades..... Plastic Chamber pots for sale...  "'Nebraska Ranch  ''   size  available''

...and for that special occasion    ""The Bidet  Option ""..complete   with hollow tube ''directional  handle''   is now available "

Various   calibers    to choose from  ...call  204-673- 0054......Press  one ..and ask for ''Customer Service ''

Yeah...something like that, Jeff , would be satisfactory......gives it that professional   touch....  Thankyou

Am booking passage for the .32 rimfire with Mark @MTO

He has a hidden compartment🤫

1850807666_camperboat.thumb.jpg.f51c2e8ab917e75bbbbe11b2967964a3.jpg

He just needs to get around the container ships that are cloggin' Lake Wallenpaupack

Maybe Jake could ride shotgun, er Marlin or whatever he wants to call his services

As far as fine rifles, they are like fine women.............come in all price ranges.💃👩‍🦽

I did a search and trying to locate one in like condition to yours, assuming a good bright bore with crisp rifling. I saw them ranging from $3000 to $6000 and think your $5000 is right in the ball park.

I don't see a lot of that caliber and think if you provide a few rounds of ammo with it, it would help the sale $ go up. 

When i was a lot younger than I am today I was just sstarting to look at collecting Winchesters. Really liked the bigger calibers.

But while I was pouring over the shotgun news and concentrating on a Christmas list, a young girl swooped in knocked over my coffee and the list never got started up again.

Hope you and the young man can come to an agreeable agreement to move some pocket jingle from his to yourn. 🤑

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

If you think 30-30 is bad try something like a 25-35.  Ammo for that was $50/box when 30-30 cost $13/box

Tell me about it☹️

IMG_20211021_081301239.thumb.jpg.fce54dd69114efe32b67093f0adca5b0.jpg

I have the old 30-30 lever jobbie, had to quit shooting it due to shell prices BUT I still have enough shells for defense purposes!! LOL!!!  They are hard to find here too, seams like an odd cal. for some reason from what they tell me, but I still love the gun!

My favorite rifle is a Savage model 99 30-30 carbine, peep sight is as accurate as the shooter. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

My favorite rifle is a Savage model 99 30-30 carbine, peep sight is as accurate as the shooter. 

That leads to another good point. The 30-30 never really got much attention for accuracy. Within a fair range, they are quite accurate with good ammo. Had a Remington 788 in 30-30 years ago. Loaded with ballistic tip 150gr bullets it was a good shooter. Add a peep sight as mentioned or even a scope and the gun will almost always out do the guy holding it. 

Finally found some. Bad part - $50. a box  on line and limit one box per order. This is just insanely ------ B.S.    Thanks guys for all the online places to check, this is where I found some

15 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Am booking passage for the .32 rimfire with Mark @MTO

He has a hidden compartment🤫

1850807666_camperboat.thumb.jpg.f51c2e8ab917e75bbbbe11b2967964a3.jpg

He just needs to get around the container ships that are cloggin' Lake Wallenpaupack

Maybe Jake could ride shotgun, er Marlin or whatever he wants to call his services

As far as fine rifles, they are like fine women.............come in all price ranges.💃👩‍🦽

I did a search and trying to locate one in like condition to yours, assuming a good bright bore with crisp rifling. I saw them ranging from $3000 to $6000 and think your $5000 is right in the ball park.

I don't see a lot of that caliber and think if you provide a few rounds of ammo with it, it would help the sale $ go up. 

When i was a lot younger than I am today I was just sstarting to look at collecting Winchesters. Really liked the bigger calibers.

But while I was pouring over the shotgun news and concentrating on a Christmas list, a young girl swooped in knocked over my coffee and the list never got started up again.

Hope you and the young man can come to an agreeable agreement to move some pocket jingle from his to yourn. 🤑

I'd love to be at a lake watching a couple of beered up fishermen play with this, funnneeee.

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2021 at 6:54 AM, vtfireman85 said:

Checl the online sources, midway, cheaper than dirt, buds gun shop, palmetto state armory, sportsman’s outdoor superstore, there are others . Personally haven’t bought or looked for any 30-30 lately but i have heard it is hard to come by. I suspect resources are being spent on the popular rounds, lots of 30-30 rifles out there but not many being shot. It was THE go to deer cartridge around here for eons fell out of favor in recent years. 

Have you ordered ammo from buds before?  Scoured these sites for 243 and 3006 (son and I). Ordered from buds.  It says the federal stuff I ordered is in stock at a supplier or something and will take just a little longer to ship.  You think it will really ship?  They did take my payment and showed available.

• Like 1