.22 long rifle misfire in a pistol ?

Dave Downs

I had something happen today I’ve never seen before. I’m teaching my nieces basic pistol handling/shooting. Bought a nice Ruger Mark II 22LR target pistol, both girls are doing well with the basics of shooting. 

Had an ammunition misfire today, dented the rim but did not fire. 

In my military days I ran all types of firing ranges, never had a pistol or rifle/machine gun round fail to fire. Did have a few misfires with 81mm mortar rounds and one 106 recoilless rifle round in which cases we just followed standard procedures. In the case of the 106 immediate action was to re-**** the weapon and attempt to re-fire the round, which was not successful in my case and we had to un-chamber the round and send it to EOD.

I’m not particularly bothered by the incident, I just don’t know what to do with the round with the dented rim - I was thinking of chambering it in a rifle and attempting to fire it.

This is the ammunition I’m using.

0913BB50-8F73-4F65-BE7F-408CE35F06CC.jpeg

I would rechamber in a rifle and fire it. The primer material may not have been distributed evenly around the rim. A 22 is relatively harmless outside a chamber. I saw a kid hold the bullet and heat the cartridge with a lighter until it popped. The case comes off the projectile and the gasses vent easily. 

As mentioned rotate it and try again. I have seen .22 misfire before

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bitty said:

Ya, I have some Aquilla stuff and it has a lot of misfires, rotate and they go.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t get too agitated, pop the bullet out if it bothers you and ding it. My ruger MK is somewhat finicky  as said before .22 is not real rowdy when unchambered. 

Remington .22 ammo is junk! Their Thunderbolt label won’t work at all in the Ruger SR22. The Golden Bullet by Remington seems to work well as do Winchester, and Federal. 
You can take the same round and put it in the Smith and Wesson revolver, and they fire perfect. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lazy WP said:

Remington .22 ammo is junk! Their Thunderbolt label won’t work at all in the Ruger SR22. The Golden Bullet by Remington seems to work well as do Winchester, and Federal. 
You can take the same round and put it in the Smith and Wesson revolver, and they fire perfect. 

I think it’s your gun, I've put at least 500 rounds of TB through an SR… its purple.. maybe that is the difference? 

That’s pretty common. As mentioned before turn half a turn and most likely it will go next time around.  

3 hours ago, bitty said:

tons of times - cheap stuff and in my marlin it doesnt load straight or somethign happens and i just recycle it thru 

Had that happen lots of times with lots of brands of ammo in .22. Ninety percent will fire the second try in whatever firearm. If you want to destroy it, pull out the bullet with a pair of pliers and throw it in the trash.  I guess if I was teaching in that scenario I would say tap/rack try again. 

• Like 1

Had a few .22 misfire as said rotate and try again. If you wish not to try firing again do as Sledgehammer said pull bullet out with pliers and throw away. I've done that a few times on.22 and other rounds.

I’ve had it happen quite a few times over the years in my ruger 10/22 and the old coey 22. Mainly with Winchester amo it seemed. Been good for a while now but admittedly I haven’t been shooting much either. I blamed it on the cheaper amo but it could’ve just been a fluke too. The federal I use doesn’t seem as bad though. 

I first ran into .22 fails as a kid when the YMCA had a course using the Boston College range. We used heavy barrel target rifles that I believe belonged to the college. The ammunition was match but dated to WWII and would occasionally fail to fire. Usually re-****/open and close the bolt and the second hit even on the same place on the rim would fire it.

I'm dating myself. I doubt if any YMCA has a rifle/safety course and the college rifle range probably was turned into a multicultural or LGBT center.😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New Englander said:

I'm dating myself. I doubt if any YMCA has a rifle/safety course and the college rifle range probably was turned into a multicultural or LGBT center.😁

I got a good chuckle when I received a whole stack of new/revised form 4473 in the mail, the most notable change to the form, other than format, was to include non-binary under the gender column. Not sure it was or has ever been an issue 😆, seemed like a waste of good paperwork. 

• Haha 3

Squish the neck until there is a gap at the bullet/case then soak in penetrating oil for a few days.   That is , if rotating the rim in the chamber doesn't work.   

Missed primer in the rim is very common in rimfire.

8 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I got a good chuckle when I received a whole stack of new/revised form 4473 in the mail, the most notable change to the form, other than format, was to include non-binary under the gender column. Not sure it was or has ever been an issue 😆, seemed like a waste of good paperwork. 

I get asked all the time from the customers filling out the 4473 "what the heel is non-binary"???

I just say "if you don't know, you probably ain't one".......................😃

on the misfires.............yup, many times, reload and go.

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I get asked all the time from the customers filling out the 4473 "what the heel is non-binary"???

I just say "if you don't know, you probably ain't one".......................😃

on the misfires.............yup, many times, reload and go.

""non-binary''...are they those plastic leggo gun things ????...no cocking knob, perhaps ???..just a ''feel good '' left wing, catch...???

...Gheez  sandhopper..you go  on about my bastardised    version of the Kings English.......in fact you remind me of those "'good ol' boys ''    at the 2015 RP roundup...who had the temerity   to tell me that ""I talked funny"'...but I never saw  them with leggo ,plastic  gun things... No... they would have had blued  steel and polished walnut..the real deal

Oh...by the way....how is that pitchfork   repeater  holding out.....the one you use to throw all that bovine fecal matter at me ...???...or is it ''misfires'' time ..Huh

Mike

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mike newman said:

""non-binary''...are they those plastic leggo gun things ????...no cocking knob, perhaps ???..just a ''feel good '' left wing, catch...???

...Gheez  sandhopper..you go  on about my bastardised    version of the Kings English.......in fact you remind me of those "'good ol' boys ''    at the 2015 RP roundup...who had the temerity   to tell me that ""I talked funny"'...but I never saw  them with leggo ,plastic  gun things... No... they would have had blued  steel and polished walnut..the real deal

Oh...by the way....how is that pitchfork   repeater  holding out.....the one you use to throw all that bovine fecal matter at me ...???...or is it ''misfires'' time ..Huh

Mike

Hey Mike old friend, why don't you go look at the farm girls of WWII thread.....

........mebbe yer computater will get infected with those scantily clad girl 💃💃💃things again and I'll get another break from your harassment for a bit.

😄

• Haha 5