Ford 4400

Ok, that looks like an industrial version of  the second gen 4000.  It will have a heavy front end, and maybe an additional frame.  Might have the front mounted hydraulic pump.  If it does, hydraulics will be fast and powerful.  That looks like a good one, can I ask what they're askin?  I assume its a 3 cylinder diesel.

I think it would be what replaced ours, a first gen 4000 Industrial. 

20210821_174851.jpg

• Like 1

1975 - 3cly Gas, 8 speed, new rubber on the back, yes on the crank driven loader pump and big front axle 

The ask is 5K with out the brush deck

They said "everything works as it should" yet the they had to start it with screw driver cause the solenoid was bad 

Had some trouble restarting sounded like the starter was dragging.

Been in the shed all it's life been on the property since new.

Don't know anything about those 3 cylinders in gas, but the diesel ones are solid.

$5k seems a little high for a gasser.  Although that appears to be a good honest one.

Can't be that many one-owner industrials.

I like it!

Yea I thought it was high 

The paint is still good just needs a good wash

Runs good once its going but needs some TLC on the starting 

They wouldn't take 4k but will pass 4500 by the old woman so we will see

That 4400 is good, cheap horsepower and a strong loader to boot.  I think that you will be hard pressed to find something as inexpensive, nimble, and capable for that price.  Parts are easy to find.  The front-mounted pump makes that 735 loader a lot more responsive and thus, efficient.

I see that the wheels are set narrow...which is fine, but more sensitive to a tip-over.  Those 735 loaders had 2,500-lbs. lift capacity which is something to keep in mind if you are lifting something high and on uneven ground.

For me, the only minor downside is the gas engine.  While the gas engine is fine from a mechanical and cost-effective standpoint, I'm just a diesel guy.

• Thanks 1

The brakes weren't much on them either. My godfather wound up going backwards over a creek Bank on one because the dry brakes didn't hold.  Fortunately there was a grader blade on the back of it that caught the creek bottom and kept the tractor from rolling over backwards on him.  The tractor was in excellent condition had been kept in a barn all its life. Needless to say that tractor went up the road right after that.  I always like the way that tractor looked though with the blue and yellow paint job.

Pretty sure it's got wet disks I tried them and they can stall the tractor in any gear. 

I wanted a Ford 545 or 445 4x4 diesel but they are pretty pricey still and all beat up most of them worked running Gannon boxes doing road work 

I think the gas will be easier to maintain in the future no out of production injection pumps to deal with.

Anyway they accepted my offer so I will find out  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MarkG said:

Does the loader add much to the price? 

I would think at least 2K since that what the take offs are going for.

This one has the industrial loader so it should be heavier duty 

County Hwy. had many 4400s in  70's most on mowers, flail, rotary, & broom. All gas, 3 & 4 w/hi-low speed trans. Very durable tractor, but no suspension on seat. 3 speed trans was fast on the road....

Got it in my shed

It decodes as a 1969 utility it has the independent PTO and has the 735 loader

It needs some TLC on the starter circuit and the foot throttle so I will likely have a few questions for you Ford guys   

Yes, I believe that is the HD axle.  I took some photos of what I have from my files.  They are from my 1966 Ford Industrial Tractor & Equipment 

Ford 4400 A.jpg

Ford 4400 B.jpg

Ford 4400 C.jpg

Ford 4400 D.jpg

735 Loader A.jpg

735 Loader B.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have one just like the on in photo #1. Mine has a backhoe as well.  I usually take the backhoe off. I put a straight drawbar on mine. I always planned on adding the 3point arms and toplink, but never did.

I fashioned my own foot throttle rod. Parts are NA. You will find that many parts are NA, but engine/trans/brakes/etc still are.

Same front axle as mine.

I don't think they used the loader that much the tractor is not ballasted.

Tires are not filled and no wheel weights I think it had the mower deck on it all the time

All the rods are there for the foot throttle it just doesn't return to idle when you lift off  

image.png.f72ce88ca64981af79009b40ca9b7d5a.png

56 minutes ago, dads706 said:

I have one just like the on in photo #1. Mine has a backhoe as well.  I usually take the backhoe off. I put a straight drawbar on mine. I always planned on adding the 3point arms and toplink, but never did.

I fashioned my own foot throttle rod. Parts are NA. You will find that many parts are NA, but engine/trans/brakes/etc still are.

Same front axle as mine.

I have a 655a 4x4 for my hoe work

I would like to find hoe for this one because I would like to take the 655a up to my camp in Maine got a few projects I need a machine for.

Then I want to leave it up there in case I need to get in and out in the winter 

I used mine for feeding big bales to the cows. With the backhoe off, I welded a heavy bracket to mount in the backhoe arms (that hold the backhoe in place)  I mounted an IH front weight bracket and loaded it with front weights to take the place of the backhoe weight. Works good because it mount high enough that I can still get to the drawbar. It's a very handy tractor and enough power for what I need it for. (unfortunately it is usually at youngest sons place) 

I use the foot throttle waaaaay more than I ever expected to. 

I have a manual somewhere that shows a cab on one but I have never seen one in person. 

I'd like to find a Ford salvage yard because mine is missing some odds and ends parts.  The guy I bought mine from was not known for his equipment maintenance.

5 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

I have a 655a 4x4 for my hoe work

I would like to find hoe for this one because I would like to take the 655a up to my camp in Maine got a few projects I need a machine for.

Then I want to leave it up there in case I need to get in and out in the winter 

If you feel like coming to TN, we might can put you in a hoe.  PM me if interested. 

Got the starting issue figured out the neutral safety switch is bad.

I got it jumped out for now.

What kind of tire works best on the front end? 

Its got a couple of all most wore out all terrain load range E radials on it now