TD9 advice

Hi. I'm hopefully getting a piece of property that needs a bunch of dirty work. The dumb thing is of course I got a TD6 about 3 years ago for a song, and living in town, couldn't find a reason to own it. Traded it for a 570 Diesel with a front fork lift so I won but still.... Three years later. Man I wish I had that TD6!  But at the new place Wifey says "you'll need a bulldozer". And I tried to contain myself. so right off the bat there's a  55 TD9 about two hours away asking 3K will probably take 2. Its been sitting for three years, but 'ran good, and worked good'.  I owned a 400D for a few years so I'm pretty familiar with the engine. I feel pretty confident I could get it running.  But I'm really wondering If I should be a little patient and spend a little more? There's a yellow one 53 D4-7U only 20 minutes away supposed to run good for 10K. There's also a 50 D2 not too far away but hasn't ran in ten years 2K??  The transport is a thing, and of course the blade is off. Not  a lot to go on with these pix, but I'm wondering opinions.   Any advice is much appreciated. 

242032578_177286771194734_356810282293879237_n.jpg

242054031_177286741194737_6089100572194278773_n.jpg

241850155_177286731194738_2113556449518233359_n.jpg

Sitting for 3 years the steering clutches are probably seized up. TD9's are known for that.

My opinion only - 

If you want an old dozer for the enjoyment of having an old dozer, then by all means, go for it!

But my experience is at least half the time, if not much more often, after one buys an old dozer to do a few jobs around the property, said dozer either has or develops more problems than anticipated at first.  Some of the problems may be very expensive.  And then, when all is said and done, if you would have hired the dirt work done by a local contractor, you would have been money ahead than what you had to spend on the "cheap" old dozer to keep it going.

That said, I do own an old dozer.  So....

21 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

My opinion only - 

If you want an old dozer for the enjoyment of having an old dozer, then by all means, go for it!

But my experience is at least half the time, if not much more often, after one buys an old dozer to do a few jobs around the property, said dozer either has or develops more problems than anticipated at first.  Some of the problems may be very expensive.  And then, when all is said and done, if you would have hired the dirt work done by a local contractor, you would have been money ahead than what you had to spend on the "cheap" old dozer to keep it going.

That said, I do own an old dozer.  So....

I agree with that 100%. You have to love it to try and use something like that. I personally love using and keeping stuff like this going. If you’re on a tight schedule and tight budget it won’t work. Whatever you think it might cost to get it done, you might as well double that number along with how long you think it will take. If you love the “experience” then go for it. 

Cat is still selling a fair number of parts for a U series tractor be it D2,  D4 or D6. IH has been gone how long? Komatsu , bought Dresser, which bought the IH construction division. Komatsu only keeps parts for new stuff back 20 years or less from my reading. So where do you find parts for the 1950's IH.

So a Cat is worth more than IH in my mind. But junk is junk. But if you bring it back with new parts and then use it, it maybe it's worth it. I started with junk D6 back in 83, by 86 I had $20,000 dollars worth of parts in it plus a lot of my skinned knuckles and a few 1000's payed labor. Every bearing behind the transmission, on out to new undercarriage.  With a bit of engine work after that. But I used it and got my money out of it.

But if not for the love of busted knuckles and playing in dirt and grease TN hillbilly and D-F-P told you the faster and maybe cheaper way. How luck you feeling today.

If you want a vintage dozer and you can keep it going, I would choose the TD9.  I bet the engine will be ok after only three years, but I would be thinking the steering clutches may be stuck !  That is really not the nasty that people think it is, sure it is time consuming but anyone that has reasonable skills at swinging spinners and can keep their cool, will be able to sort it with the help of a manual.

Having said that only one steering clutch was stuck on my TD6, after sitting in the open on the side of a hill for 10 yrs, and even then it was rusty because someone left a bolt out of the top inspection panel on the same side allowing water to drip onto the clutch drum.

Cheers

Dave

as said if you want  a toy to work ON go for it

if you want something to work buy  < 20 yr and resell or rent  but now is not the time to buy as in NLA/NLR

when $100K new is being held up by $50-1000 part from a polluting country. local dealer has > $40 mil on order

Looks like a high desert climate so rusting issues may not be bad, the front idlers are set back so track might be ok but I would want some better detailed pics of all of it, your biggest problem might be rotted hoses.

2K might not be bad, guess it depends what you envision it having to do and how urgent that timeframe is, very nice having a machine ready to do a plethora of jobs if it’s ready to start and do them when needed, probably could recoup your money later if it consume a bunch up front 

Sounds like a good plan, if time isn't pressing to get the work done, to wait for a better machine.

I (barely) passed on this for $4000.

20200315_141653.thumb.jpg.1eb2bc8f75937a1d65ea00010706cabd.jpg

Only to buy this (non-running) for $5000.  It did take a little more money to get it going, but I still think I did pretty good.  I would have either gotten killed or torn up that TD6 by now!

20191022_184620.thumb.jpg.09a9633b64b8b4f278fa6ca135eb665e.jpg