Combines How Big can they Get

Mark (EC,IN)

The local Case IH dealer hauled my 815 combine home for me with the 15 ft 810 platform still attached. Total trip was around 50 miles. I was surprised that they would do that. But, with the size of new machines I guess I shouldn't be! That head is a small one compared to today's standards. 

20210319_123242.jpg

20210319_123507.jpg

• Like 6

I understand that when we go to fully automated equipment (no operator) the size of equipment will probably shrink to a more reasonable size. One person watching a set of equipment operating with the ability to shut down if anything goes wrong, kinda like a drone operator.

1 hour ago, wendyoakscubs said:

The local Case IH dealer hauled my 815 combine home for me with the 15 ft 810 platform still attached. Total trip was around 50 miles. I was surprised that they would do that. But, with the size of new machines I guess I shouldn't be! That head is a small one compared to today's standards. 

Dealers around here haul swathers with 16-18ft headers all the time without detatching the header.

4 hours ago, wendyoakscubs said:

20210319_123242.jpg

20210319_123507.jpg

Drive fast and look worried!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wendyoakscubs said:

20210319_123242.jpg

20210319_123507.jpg

Where do you live,leaves are all off the trees? Here were aren't peak in my part of PA.

2 hours ago, Michigan No Till said:

That attached header wouldn't fly in Michigan. DOT would have a field day with you!

As a commercial over the road hauler I must reduce a load to its minimum reasonable size. That means no heads, no duals. A dealership may haul a field ready machine with duals. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michigan No Till said:

That attached header wouldn't fly in Michigan. DOT would have a field day with you!

I would say no, not me, but the company that was hired that should know the rules of their state and counties on what should be legal and not. But, I'd rather stay on topic. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

As a commercial over the road hauler I must reduce a load to its minimum reasonable size. That means no heads, no duals. A dealership may haul a field ready machine with duals. 

Thanks for getting that cleared up. I was pretty sure I said "local Case IH dealership".

I think that the answer people are looking for here is modular.  Specifically, the combine will come in a few or several pieces and put together at the field.  This would deal with weight plus dimensional issues in terms of transport.  Probably will not see very many here in the East because field sizes will be too small to set up, operate, then disassemble for a 30 or 40 acre field.  Oh well.  I guess we are lucky to have made it this far since NY was written off for agriculture for reasons like this many years ago.  

I think height and width are the limiting factors and weight is problem that can be solved easier. Comines are not the heaviest machines by ant means that are moved. Trucks and trailers in crazy configurations can haul heavy heavy machines

this is a local specialty mover - I expect it is really expensive but part of that would be the lack of competition

fleetway.png

6 minutes ago, hillman said:

I think height and width are the limiting factors and weight is problem that can be solved easier. Comines are not the heaviest machines by ant means that are moved. Trucks and trailers in crazy configurations can haul heavy heavy machines

this is a local specialty mover - I expect it is really expensive but part of that would be the lack of competition

fleetway.png

Make the combine modular so that it can be moved in sections.  Like a crane. 

I don't know, but the neighbors ran a 9770 green combine with triples. Now they have an S670 I think and it has triples, they look to be 520 or 580s. Apparently their 20" 16 row (I think) corn head must be really heavy. Not for me to do something like that. 

On 10/10/2021 at 12:59 PM, 766 Man said:

Make the combine modular so that it can be moved in sections.  Like a crane. 

They have that here with the open pit coal mines. The shovels are put together and basically die in that hole.

eventually it’d cost too much to put the pieces together I’d think? 🤷‍♂️