IH SNOWPLOW FLEET AUCTION

cwinn

Hey you guys need to go look at Kent auction services, Auction for J.Scott Kenzer. I'm told he used to plow all the sidewalks in the city of Rochester NY. Very cool stuff listed ,with huge parts lot. Must of been some operation in its day. Screenshot_20211005-192338_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f9da95ea8b2a16cf6e50d0d7ae897bf3.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cwinn said:

Hey you guys need to go look at Kent auction services, Auction for J.Scott Kenzer. I'm told he used to plow all the sidewalks in the city of Rochester NY. Very cool stuff listed ,with huge parts lot. Must of been some operation in its day. Screenshot_20211005-192338_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f9da95ea8b2a16cf6e50d0d7ae897bf3.jpg

It's not that far away and I have been watching.  Things will probably be bid far past their true value when it gets done.  

6 minutes ago, hillman said:

seems sad that era is coming to an end. They sure could clear sidewalks fast with that old iron

Agreed it is sad to see another tradition end. 

I wonder how many new small machines they will wearout in the same timeframe those old Farmalls and Ollies have been serving so well

I wonder how many very big and hard things have been hit, throwing the driver into the steering wheel.

Nothing like a steering knob in the chest.

You better know where you are going and what is normally in front of you, besides snow?

A way of life is disappearing.

Times change and not always for the better.

12 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I wonder how many very big and hard things have been hit, throwing the driver into the steering wheel.

Nothing like a steering knob in the chest.

You better know where you are going and what is normally in front of you, besides snow?

I live close enough to have heard things about that operation.  The operator does snag obstructions and gets whacked with low tree branches among other things  It's anything but a steady paycheck and the number of people available to work has steadily declined over the years.  

On 10/5/2021 at 9:11 PM, 12_Guy said:

It's 4am and the ollie's and IH's have the sidewalks open but the city street hasn't been touched...

If I remember correctly that outfit had language in their contract as to when they had to be out and keep the sidewalks open.  More people in the city had to walk to their destination so it was more critical to keep the sidewalks open than the streets.  

Well at least we know where all the old farmalls went , they is quite a selection of parts and parts tractors , have a feeling things may go cheap as you have to make arrangements before hand if you can’t get there by the 14th it says😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hillman said:

I would love to have one of them 

In terms of a piece of Rochester, NY history, yes.  I would caution that plowing snow like that was not the easiest duty for those tractors.  There is a reason that there are all kinds of spare parts around to be sold off along with the tractors.  It will not matter in the end as the exposure will most likely mean they will be bid up past reasonable value.  If not it will say something as to the state of value of those tractors.  

Neat, I'm betting the plows are a custom built arrangement with 50 yrs of "field engineering" and improvements. The sound in the above videos leads me to believe the engines and govenors may have a little improvement too.

Couple things that popped in my head - who wants to bet that someone was trying to pick corn with a mounted picker after a blizzard... came up with the design of these plows? - and all that work and customization, but you couldn't figure out how to make a cab? I used to have a sidewalk snow removal contract, 10 hrs outside in a snowstorm was a PITA no matter how well a guy was dressed. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cattech said:

Neat, I'm betting the plows are a custom built arrangement with 50 yrs of "field engineering" and improvements. The sound in the above videos leads me to believe the engines and govenors may have a little improvement too.

Couple things that popped in my head - who wants to bet that someone was trying to pick corn with a mounted picker after a blizzard... came up with the design of these plows? - and all that work and customization, but you couldn't figure out how to make a cab? I used to have a sidewalk snow removal contract, 10 hrs outside in a snowstorm was a PITA no matter how well a guy was dressed. 

No doubt Krenzer made improvements over the years but the V plow predates mounted pickers.  There are a lot of trees in the City of Rochester, NY.  There would be no way to mount a cab that would clear the tree branches.  As I understood it running those routes was no easy task.  Even if you got a good operator it was hard to keep them because you only get paid when you work.  Some years they would barely have 40 hours in per operator per winter.  They had to have enough coverage to open city sidewalks within a couple hours of a snow event.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 766 Man said:

No doubt Krenzer made improvements over the years but the V plow predates mounted pickers.  There are a lot of trees in the City of Rochester, NY.  There would be no way to mount a cab that would clear the tree branches.  As I understood it running those routes was no easy task.  Even if you got a good operator it was hard to keep them because you only get paid when you work.  Some years they would barely have 40 hours in per operator per winter.  They had to have enough coverage to open city sidewalks within a couple hours of a snow event.  

Just a tongue in cheek observation, the plow reminded me of a mounted picker.

As to the low branches & no cab, the power company hasn't an issue lopping off the top of trees for power lines, and one pass when cold enough would trim off the low branches with a snap!. Be a heck of a lot easier to keep operators if they were warm & toasty.

I came to the conclusion that the owner of that snow plow business (Mr. Plow) was a student of ancient Roman, Greece, Phonecian, triremes, with that pointed prow.  As Bluto (IIRC) said in Animal House----"RAMMING SPEED"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cattech said:

Be a heck of a lot easier to keep operators if they were warm & toasty.

I don't know if you ever run anything with a Heat Houser but they actually aren't too bad if you are dressed right . no substitute for a cab but they really are comfortable.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

I came to the conclusion that the owner of that snow plow business (Mr. Plow) was a student of ancient Roman, Greece, Phonecian, triremes, with that pointed prow.  As Bluto (IIRC) said in Animal House----"RAMMING SPEED"

Watching the videos it almost looks road gear! And after hearing that, those plows do resemble the deathmobile 

• Haha 1

I had a house in the city of Rochester from 1993 to 2004, you did not sleep through them going by, at least I could not.  Also once the went by you were not left with a snow free side walk.  Those guys that were driving would be hunched down as low as the could to keep the branches from hitting them in the face.  

A good bit of those faster ground speeds are the faster engine speeds those tractors are running. I've got too many hours listening to 1450 rpm at full load. I'd guess some those tractors are running 2300-2500 rpm.

I don't have a shop full of Stage 2 Super H parts so I run my #1 snow mover like I won't break it, around 800-1000 rpm, 1st gear, I don't want to hit a joint or crack in the concrete driveway and break something.  I've done O-K at that for 25 years so far.  But sitting on an open station tractor, especially a cold rainy/snowy night I remember from about 22-23 years ago, getting pelted in the face with ice pellets, half frozen rain drops and 15-20 mph wind I just KNEW there was a better way.  Wish I could find a Koehn ( pronounced CANE) tractor cab like Dad had on the 450, with the side curtains I could chop corn stalks or disk/fall plow in barely below freezing temps in just a sweatshirt.

I bought a Cub Cadet frt snow blade to clean the lighter snows, an inch or less, I have so much width to clear I can't push as much snow as I accumulate, it does do a nice job cleaning right down to bare concrete, but eventually it starts pushing the tractor around. And the replacable scraping edge wears terribly fast for what the parts shops charge for them.

14 hours ago, Doug in NY said:

I had a house in the city of Rochester from 1993 to 2004, you did not sleep through them going by, at least I could not.  Also once the went by you were not left with a snow free side walk.  Those guys that were driving would be hunched down as low as the could to keep the branches from hitting them in the face.  

Interesting you said “not left with a snow free sidewalk.” I thought it looked like several inches of snow left. But I guess I’d rather shovel 2” than 2’.

Just now, IH Forever said:

Interesting you said “not left with a snow free sidewalk.” I thought it looked like several inches of snow left. But I guess I’d rather shovel 2” than 2’.

I had a JD 824 snowblower when I lived there so I blew snow my drive way, neighbors on both side and side walk for 3 houses in both directions so when the farmall guys went by I did not get snow in my driveway.  I walked to work when I lived there and most residents did not shovel sidewalks so it was what it was.