Jump to content

Consumers Energy rant.


Reichow7120
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is there any electric provider that is as incompetent as Consumers Energy here in Michigan?

I've ranted before about their service and lack of maintenance on their lines in Michigan. They will only trim a 10 foot circumference around the lines. Don't worry about the limbs from the dead, half rotted tree 14 ft above the lines. Apparently either gravity doesn't apply here or there is a invisible force field protecting the lines. ( and judging from the outages, neither is the case lol.) 

Anyway. We have this one fencerow that we are totally screwed on trying to clean it up. Power lines on one side, primary road on the other. Can't cut hardly anything because if we hit the line, get charged for it. County is the same way. 

Twice this summer trees have came out of this fencerow and knocked the power out. First time in late July they drove a truck into the stone row in the fencerow. Got stuck. Then in the process of yanking the truck out they ripped a low hanging fuel filter off, leaking fuel all over the place. 

Last night though took the cake though. Hickory limb broke out and took the line down about 11. Crew in 3 trucks show up sometime in the early morning.  Proceeded to drive the 1st truck through the ditch. Got in the field and proceeded to bury it. 2nd truck backs down into a even deeper part of the ditch with water standing in it. Burys it and almost flip it.  They had to old school it and climb the pole and fix the lines. Mowed and nice path in the standing corn with the trucks. Finally got a wrecker and got them out at 830. 

They ended up climbing the pole anyway. Why all the stupidity leading into it. We've had almost 6 inches of rain in a little over a week. Including a inch and a half yesterday. Water stands in this ditch and on the other side of the road.  Its very apparent its wet. Would common sense say let's drive buckets trucks through a deep ditch and muddy standing water and expect good things to happen? And when in unfamiliar settings. Would you look around before pulling into a ditch? 

Been talking to the company about being paid for damages. The maddening part is this was so preventable. Trim trees to prevent this and not go plowing into a wet field and ditches with trucks expecting good things to happen. 

Pictures are of the scene of the crime. 

 

20211005_162202.jpg

20211005_162158.jpg

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Is there any electric provider that is as incompetent as Consumers Energy here in Michigan?

I've ranted before about their service and lack of maintenance on their lines in Michigan. They will only trim a 10 foot circumference around the lines. Don't worry about the limbs from the dead, half rotted tree 14 ft above the lines. Apparently either gravity doesn't apply here or there is a invisible force field protecting the lines. ( and judging from the outages, neither is the case lol.) 

Anyway. We have this one fencerow that we are totally screwed on trying to clean it up. Power lines on one side, primary road on the other. Can't cut hardly anything because if we hit the line, get charged for it. County is the same way. 

Twice this summer trees have came out of this fencerow and knocked the power out. First time in late July they drove a truck into the stone row in the fencerow. Got stuck. Then in the process of yanking the truck out they ripped a low hanging fuel filter off, leaking fuel all over the place. 

Last night though took the cake though. Hickory limb broke out and took the line down about 11. Crew in 3 trucks show up sometime in the early morning.  Proceeded to drive the 1st truck through the ditch. Got in the field and proceeded to bury it. 2nd truck backs down into a even deeper part of the ditch with water standing in it. Burys it and almost flip it.  They had to old school it and climb the pole and fix the lines. Mowed and nice path in the standing corn with the trucks. Finally got a wrecker and got them out at 830. 

They ended up climbing the pole anyway. Why all the stupidity leading into it. We've had almost 6 inches of rain in a little over a week. Including a inch and a half yesterday. Water stands in this ditch and on the other side of the road.  Its very apparent its wet. Would common sense say let's drive buckets trucks through a deep ditch and muddy standing water and expect good things to happen? And when in unfamiliar settings. Would you look around before pulling into a ditch? 

Been talking to the company about being paid for damages. The maddening part is this was so preventable. Trim trees to prevent this and not go plowing into a wet field and ditches with trucks expecting good things to happen. 

Pictures are of the scene of the crime. 

 

20211005_162202.jpg

20211005_162158.jpg

  Preventative maintenance eats into profits which they prefer to be paid to senior management in the form of bonuses.  Around a dozen years ago the gas line operator here stopped by about putting up some strategic fencing up to keep trespassers off of the right of way.  This decision came on the heels of a 5 million dollar payout they had to make to the family of a dead snowmobiler whose fatality was caused on their right of way.  Long story made short was the accountants and senior management looked at the cost and did not like the idea of any bonuses for a while.  So lo and behold the issue of minimizing legal entanglements all of a sudden got far less important.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

  Preventative maintenance eats into profits which they prefer to be paid to senior management in the form of bonuses.  Around a dozen years ago the gas line operator here stopped by about putting up some strategic fencing up to keep trespassers off of the right of way.  This decision came on the heels of a 5 million dollar payout they had to make to the family of a dead snowmobiler whose fatality was caused on their right of way.  Long story made short was the accountants and senior management looked at the cost and did not like the idea of any bonuses for a while.  So lo and behold the issue of minimizing legal entanglements all of a sudden got far less important.

Oh I know the reasons. It doesn't make it better. 

We've all heard a once of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. 

Heck. Let's take the tree trimming out. Let's just use common sense on the workers part. Again a little common sense would have gone a long way to prevent a mess on their part as well as ours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The linesmen operating the trucks are better, and certainly not as dumb as what you are dealing with, but as a whole they cant be as bad as DTE.  

It takes them a year to do anything. Neighbors house burned in December, new house is going where poles and incoming power needs to be moved. By May, builder squeezed them in as insurance company only provides temporary housing for 6 months and is in the process of setting trusses and hits high lines. Thankfully nobody hurt, DTE still wouldnt get poles moved. Project was paid for, in full, in January.  Finally started calling state representatives and all kinds of politicians after getting snowballed by DTE, within 1 week it was being done. 

DTE installed a new meter at my house and billed me for both meters for 6 month before we caught it. Wouldnt issue a refund, only could be used as a credit for the next months bills.  Took almost two years to clear the issues up as they kept messing up the bills. I went two months without paying electric bill and challenged them to take me to court or to shut off my electric, so I could sue them over the mess they created. In the end they found the new meter wasnt reading right, just as I told them and I made them write off over $700 worth of electricity in the end. 

The only thing worse than dealing with DTE is dealing with Blue Cross Blue Shield. 

Local cooperative, TEC is awesome to deal with and friendly when there is a problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rrr4quality said:

That’s who I’ve been with for over twenty years. I agree.

Wish we had that option. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the privilege of belonging to the Alger delta electric cooperative. I think we have the highest rate per kilowatt in all of Michigan. The worst thing is I live a half mile from the last customer on the Wisconsin public service line, their rates are half what mine are but I'm stuck with what I have because the co-op owns the lines.

I've gone round and round with the co-op representatives about the rates. I keep getting the same response that because they serve a low populated area the rates have to be what they are to cover overhead. If we are not current for more than a month a month with the bill they will shut us off. I'm not talking not paying anything, sometimes on a tight month we would pay the majority of the bill with the intent of paying the balance with the next  months bill. The co-op didn't think so, they shut us off without notice. The second time it happened it was a mistake in their system, we were shut off before we even got the monthly bill, we had a $10.00 balance from the previous month because that months bill was more than we budgeted for. They did credit the reconnect fee, how nice of them.

The biggest kick in the pants is its a co-op, it's MY company.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Reichow7120 said:

Wish we had that option. 

  We "Don't" have an option,  Consumers Energy is your only Choice in Our Part of Michigan.

 My Checkbook isn't large enough to run a "New power line" to our Main Farm from another Electrical Provider,    We Inquired about a new service Company.

Wolverine Electric ( TRI- County) is Trimming Tree's on our Farm in a different Section of our Township, 

Tree Trimming Looks Radical with a 60 foot path, 30 foot on each side of a power line.

 Cutting through a wood lot is the Meanest, Largest, wickedest looking "Brush Hog" mounted on a "Enclosed operators station" Forestry Tired Monster!!

That Hydraulic arm mounted 7 foot Diameter Spinning cutter head will Reach 25 feet in the Air,  No tree limb has a chance of escaping the spinning Knives.

Not a Pretty Picture when the Operator of this unit is finished,  The tree's & brush is cut evenly in a straight line Parallel to the powerline Right of way.

I need this thing to cut back some over grown fence rows!!

Consumers Energy Hasn't Hired this crew to Clear there Power line right of way.

Jim Droscha

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Green Mountain Power here is really quite good and is investing huge efforts into refurbishing power lines across the state, as part of this they are doing everything they can to get them along a public road or established driveway. Any customers willing to make improvements that benefit GMP are being treated pretty fairly in terms up upgrades that would usually be fully out of pocket. Reliability had vastly improved over the CVPS days. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

need this thing to cut back some over grown fence rows!!

Best type of trimming on trees around here is at ground level. Spray, treat and get rid of the fencerow if possible. 

We have even told them that if they would drop the line for a day. We would fall trees ourselves. The line here. Affects technically 3 addresses. The neighbor across the road has even offered to help if they would make it happen. The other 2 addresses are Reichow owned. My brother's house with his family and the main farm next door to his house. No one has lived in the house there since 2016 when my Grandma went into a nursing home and she's been dead now 3 years. No one is ever living in that house again.

Already have a h--l of a mess tree wise around here after the August storms. I've been wanting some fencerows gone for a while. This is making me want them gone worse.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While our rates are very high at least Eversource has been proactive trimming/removing trees. They even removed a bunch on our drive! We've had fewer outages since they bought out or somehow replaced Public Service company. Public Service was always responsive as well. The last pole on the ROW leading to our house fell over several years ago on Thanksgiving eve from old age and the weight of the transformer. We had a new pole up on Thanksgiving. My wife and sister brought turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce sandwiches to the crews.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...