erosion control seed type for new ground around new small pond

russ_alabama

I got a new small 120ft by 120ft pond and a third that size sway exit for over flow dug in an area that was washing out a big hole from rain water runoff from hills in 3 directions.  The neighbor that did it (with a D5 CAT) said he'd plant wheat and cultipack it in (I've got an old 10ft Moline cultipacker that Dad bought new in '52).  Would have been ideal to have done it as soon as he was through, but we got rain for 4 days now so I'll probably go ahead and buy a chain harrow (wanted one a while now -- $1100 for 10ft in the ad) from a small local dealer nearby, and use it to scratch up the dirt a little from packing with the rain.  I'll spread the seed on foot with a hand crank seeder, then cultipack it.  Dozer fellow also set a culvert and cleaned up some banks in another spot also (got a 60 by 100 ft area there to seed.  Dozer guy did all this for $1k, which seemed cheap.  Question is, the dozer fellow brought up using rye.  Would you use that as an annual, or a perennial, or rye grass, or some other preference on the type of grass.  Wouldn't mind it staying around and not reseeding in spring.  There's a good seed dealer local also, so I think he'd have the perennial, and I was leaning toward that.  I've got some areas where I have the hay rings for cows that I was thinking of doing the same thing in the coming weeks also.  Farm supply has a rentable no till (Great Plains, 10 or 12 ft) that might be better in that 10 acre or so area.  I probably won't be able to keep the cows out of where I do this, btw.  Thanks.  

IMG_9091.JPG

IMG_9096.JPG

IMG_9099.JPG

IMG_9100.JPG

i would use wheat and mix grass seed right in with it,one and done kind of thing, the wheat will germinate quicker than the grass and will protect the young grass somewhat from freezing out this winter.

• Like 1

I would use rye or oats as a nurse crop for whatever type of perennial you decide to plant. I'm guessing it's a pasture from the pictures so some kind of pasture mix.

• Like 1

Thanks H to 80 and Mike.  Yep, it's pasture only for year round cows grazing (no hay off it), kentucky 31 from the 50s and some wild version of bermuda.  

• Like 1

Id use annual ryegrass, mixed with fescue and maybe some wheat.  About 5-8 lbs ryegrass per acre.  No more, or it will out compete the fescue.  It will come up fast and help hold the ground.  Never had any luck with perennial ryegrass.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Id use annual ryegrass, mixed with fescue and maybe some wheat.  About 5-8 lbs ryegrass per acre.  No more, or it will out compete the fescue.  It will come up fast and help hold the ground.  Never had any luck with perennial ryegrass.

Thanks, TN Hillbilly... you're kind of down towards my north most Alabama climate... good caution on the competition with the fescue (I'd have gone heavy by nature).  Wish I'd get in ahead of these 4-5 days of rain in seeding, as the ground was pretty well fixed to take seed after the dozer cleats left it tore up.  Figure the chain harrow will do that work, and I need it elsewhere (yard included, for over-seeding).  

I can't really tell from the pictures but if the gully is big enough where a wash out might be a problem you might want to consider adding water bars. They can be anything from piles of rocks, logs, or even old hay bales placed across to slow any running water to take the power away from it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I can't really tell from the pictures but if the gully is big enough where a wash out might be a problem you might want to consider adding water bars. They can be anything from piles of rocks, logs, or even old hay bales placed across to slow any running water to take the power away from it.

the dam at the property line is pretty thick... a pic of before, when it was a massive hole that could have held a school bus (just on my side of the line) and little better pic of how the exit sway is done (he did a laser transit to pitch that lower as a wide exit).  he cautioned on getting the seed bed in tho, especially on the sway.  that back 80 of the place has run off on it and the neighbor's property too... it can be 4" deep in a just pretty good rain, it can be 8" deep a dozen times a year, and it's been up to a f150 2wd bumper a half dozen to a dozen times in my life.  i was going to get hose big drain tiles involved and i asked if they didn't have to be used, would he do different.  he was big into a sway versus three big pipes (said the dam would be enormous to get the pipes where they needed to be and still have pond water less than the overflow kept.  there's another bigger pond here that they did that with and put in a pipe too.  pretty average thckness of a pipe, so it lasted 20yrs, but the sway's been there since 40yrs now.  he found someone that wants the drain tiles.  they're chipped up, but i only paid $100 apiece for them (and the other fellow will pay that)... and he's able to load them... 8klb apiece.  for some reason, i'll miss having them.  i'm a hoarder, tho.  

IMG_8670.JPG

IMG_9094.JPG

IMG_9097.JPG

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, littlered166 said:

I'd use the perennial ryegrass sparingly and a tall fescue suited to your area.  Up here I'd use the KY31 tall fescue. Just my 2 cents worth.  Pembroke

Thanks, Littlered166.  You and TN Hillbilly both have prevented my too much is a good thing on the ryegrass path (which would have been where I would have gone).  Hope we get a break in the rain end of the week and into next week to do this.  Most got their corn out prior to this week (barely).  Beans and cotton are about to kick in locally.  Saw defoliant being crop-"dusted" on Sunday.  I just have pastures, cows, and hay myself.  

I would mix 5% rye with fescue unless you want Bermuda.  We are in a tough area for fescue in the summer.   

• Like 1