Which combine is right for me

RedJohnny

Im looking for a smaller combine around late 80s 90s or early 00s. I'll be farming soybeans, wheat maybe some oats on about 160 acres or so and hope to rent more land eventually up to 300 acres. Budget is looking like $30-$50k and hopefully that's with a grain header and eventually corn too. I also live in lower Alabama which our property can be sandy in spots and just the listings I've seen it looks like there are a lot of additional add ons for various soils. Any suggestions or opinions appreciated.

Around here you could get into a 2388 pretty easily for that money. We just sold our 2003 2388 for $35k and it was good (Recent new engine, 2 years on hydro, new tires and lots of other recent work). Its more than you need but if I had that budget thats what I would get . 

• Thanks 1

1680,1688, 2188,2300 would be the combine I would tell you to buy and make sure it has a specialty rotor , just look it over good for all the wear spots . High hours wouldn’t bother me if it come from someone who maintained it good 👍 

Danny

• Thanks 1

A combine from the 80s and 90s and even a little newer can be a big challenge for small operations with limited time. My neighbor says that the best combine for him is “someone else’s” as he hires it done. That might be the best thing if you are just starting out. I wouldn’t want to discourage anyone though, lots of models and colors to choose from with that budget. A guy I went to high school with bought an old combine to use on 80 acres that he bought. He had rode with me for years and thought how fun it would be to run a combine. Needless to say the fun wore off pretty quick with breakdown after breakdown. He didn’t have a lot of experience eating a face full of dirt working on machinery before that, but he got enough of it pretty fast. 

• Like 1

30-50 thousand dollars should buy a very good 1660 with heads.  Not a fan of custom hire as those guys seldom show up before the weather turns for the worse.  Plus most of them have an agenda namely getting your ground if one bad harvest will do you in.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 766 Man said:

30-50 thousand dollars should buy a very good 1660 with heads.  Not a fan of custom hire as those guys seldom show up before the weather turns for the worse.  Plus most of them have an agenda namely getting your ground if one bad harvest will do you in.  

×2

With that budget you can be picky and find one that you know its history. For that amount of acres pretty much any combine in that vintage will handle with no problem. Condition and past care and maintenance is the most important in ny opinion. Any combine that has not had preventative maintenance and things replaced as needed or has not been shedded can turn into a huge money pit. History is very important. 
Another thing to consider is if you are doing mostly small grains and want to bale the straw you might want to look for a conventional machine and unfortunately that puts you in a green one. That would be the only reason I would consider anything other than an Axial Flow.