IH 715 combine

Big Bud guy

37 minutes ago, acem said:

Sorry. I have a book but it only covers tractors.

I still have our old 715 rotting down in a fence row. 79 rice special.

Thx-Ace 

My book says they were last made in 1978.  My neighbor who used to own it claims its a 1979 but the book I'm using says its a 76'.  Soooo that is why I'm asking.  

46 minutes ago, 234-IA said:

What engine does it have?  If it's the 310 German diesel that narrows it down to 1979-80.   The 1420 was the Axial-Flow replacement for the 715 and came out in 1981.

Pretty sure its a 310 just looking at it.  Any other features that set it apart from year to year?

Back when I was running my 715 (over 20 years ago now) the parts man at the dealer said it was one of the last ones built in 79. It has the newer style ac, D310, hydro, spike tooth, 23.1x34 rice and canes up front, 7.5x18 single ribs in the back.

It has around 1200 hours on it but dad didn't have a combine shed and it rusted out. Plus we had 3 engines go bad. I liked the combine but moved on to the 1460 after the last engine sized up.

Thx-Ace 

9 hours ago, dale560 said:

There is a difference in cab. Newer ones have lights in top of cab instead of mounted on side. And if you had a late air conditioned or heater they had cab filter screen.

5048B711-6182-46F4-A36B-140B0304FED0.png

This one definitely has the later cab.  Looks like someone added lights to the purplewave combine.  

3 hours ago, acem said:

Back when I was running my 715 (over 20 years ago now) the parts man at the dealer said it was one of the last ones built in 79. It has the newer style ac, D310, hydro, spike tooth, 23.1x34 rice and canes up front, 7.5x18 single ribs in the back.

It has around 1200 hours on it but dad didn't have a combine shed and it rusted out. Plus we had 3 engines go bad. I liked the combine but moved on to the 1460 after the last engine sized up.

Thx-Ace 

Why did the engines go bad?  This one has 1,800 hrs.  It shows more wear then that because it spent its whole life picking swaths which tends to bring in more dirt and rocks.  

Did IH continue building the '15 series while the axial flow was introduced? The 1440/1460 was field follow in '77 and full production in '78. Guess I better revisit my Red Combines book.

2 hours ago, Cattech said:

Did IH continue building the '15 series while the axial flow was introduced? The 1440/1460 was field follow in '77 and full production in '78. Guess I better revisit my Red Combines book.

The 715 and 914 pull type were built for a bit after axial flow introduction. Maybe the smaller ones also. 1420 didn’t come along right away and I believe the 1480 wasn’t introduced right away either.

Nice 715. It's configured way different than my rice combine!

First engine died because dad didn't have enough antifreeze in it. Dad bought it from a neighbor who let him keep it in his shed over that winter, dad didn't have a combine shed. Neighbor checked the antifreeze that fall and it was fine. Then we had a rare cold snap to -5F? Anyway it started bubbling the coolant that harvest.

Dad bought a block, the head magnafluxed good and rebuilt the engine. That fall it dropped a valve seat, cracked underneath. It.

Dad got sick and I returned to farm. I bought an engine from a cotton picker and put her in. The engine siezed because the injection pump filled the oil with diesel fuel. The grain tank was rusting out, etc but she had 1200 hours on her.

I bought a good 1460 that im still running today.

Thx-Ace 

715s and 914s were built until fall of 1979. Later 715s were distinguishable by the headlights in the cab roof(earlier 715s had the lights sticking out beside the cab) and the fact that they had the 310 German diesel, as opposed to the 301 diesel(glow plug 282 engine with no sleeves) on the earlier 715s. The 914s built in 1978-79 were distinguishable by the fact that their grain tanks were painted red vs. white on earlier 914s. In the early 1980s, "red top" 914s were worth considerably more than a white top.

IH went "full rotary" in 1980 as the 1420 replaced the 715, the 1482 pull-type replaced the 914 PT, and the 1470 hillside AF replaced the 453 Hillside.

• Thanks 2

very nice BBG  heres some info for you out of the dealers Official Guide that was sent out to dealers twice a year with a subscription.( this one is the fall of 1984)combser.thumb.jpg.20fffb694825c74e4a6c3c44706d9a18.jpgcomserp.thumb.jpg.f95578b1b39c56c0c98ad1ad217ebe45.jpg they were much like Machinery Petes guides 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hillman said:

very nice BBG  heres some info for you out of the dealers Official Guide that was sent out to dealers twice a year with a subscription.( this one is the fall of 1984) they were much like Machinery Petes guides 

Thanks.  How do you read the serial number? The way I'm reading it is the last 5 digits which would make it a 77'.  But everybody is saying its a 78 or later. 

1 minute ago, Big Bud guy said:

Thanks.  How do you read the serial number? The way I'm reading it is the last 5 digits which would make it a 77'.  But everybody is saying its a 78 or later. 

thats how I read it, theres smarter guys than me though;)

SN is the last 5 digits. Parts book shows the D-310 German diesel started at SN#23000, so 1977 models would be lumped into later production machines.

Another dead giveaway on yours.....the IH decal on the front of the grain tank. Later 715s used the newer IH logo like yours, older 715s had the older IH decal with the white background common to most IH equipment built in the early to mid 1970s.

Looking at yours....that's an interesting machine. Looks like it has gear drive(thought most later 715s were hydros, but I'm pretty sure you could get a gear drive until they quit making them). Also, yours has a straw spreader(most around here had a chopper). Also......the knobby drive tires....were those common in your part of the country? Just looks weird from what a 715 looked like in my part of the world.

The later 715's used the quik tach 810 headers like the axial flows

42 minutes ago, SDman said:

SN is the last 5 digits. Parts book shows the D-310 German diesel started at SN#23000, so 1977 models would be lumped into later production machines.

Another dead giveaway on yours.....the IH decal on the front of the grain tank. Later 715s used the newer IH logo like yours, older 715s had the older IH decal with the white background common to most IH equipment built in the early to mid 1970s.

Looking at yours....that's an interesting machine. Looks like it has gear drive(thought most later 715s were hydros, but I'm pretty sure you could get a gear drive until they quit making them). Also, yours has a straw spreader(most around here had a chopper). Also......the knobby drive tires....were those common in your part of the country? Just looks weird from what a 715 looked like in my part of the world.

Straw spreaders, knob tires, and gear drive were all still common around here during the late 70s early 80s.  Some guys were still running spreaders on 9600s and 2188s.  Straw wasn't too much of a problem back when the average yield was only 20-30 bpa.  Gear drives were still common.  But mostly on Massey and smaller combines.  There were some White combines in the neighborhood and they were all bare bones. Lot of JD 6600/7700s were gear drive but mostly the early ones.  Course the 4400 was only gear drive.  There was none around here but they would be about the same size as a 715.  I did run across a farmer once who ran two 7720s that were gear drive.  I didn't even know still offered that option on the 20 series. I've only seen one other 715 with a hydro so I would consider those uncommon. I once laid eyes on a gas 715 with a chain drive cylinder and gear drive.  That was about as stripped as they got.  Our 760 which we bought in 1979 new was gear drive and I know of more 700 series with gear drive then hydros.  MF 510s were made all the way up to 1978 and guys around here were still buying them.  But I have never laid eyes on a hydro 510 although I know they are out there.  Our 1981 8820 has knob tires too.  Don't know why either but I have seen them on 9600s but not too many.  

18 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

The later 715's used the quik tach 810 headers like the axial flows

This one is quick tach Im sure but that doesn't mean too much because I can show you a 403 that has a 810 header and newer feeder house added on.  

• Like 1

I would love to get ahold of an old combine just to fix up and play around on around the farm. Every time I find one cheap enough for me to afford it, people jump on it and grab it for demolition derbies. I hate seeing old machinery destroyed like that.

• Sad 1