Grandads Old 22 rifle

dannyredfan

Not positive but believe around 1933 to 1935. I do know that the production period was short. My grand dad had one with a peep sight... I have no idea where it went...

I did manage to get his 1936 Remington Model 41 TargetMaster and it's a great shooting rifle - bolt action but single shot.

I love these old guns and have a few... your Model 47 in a true CLASSIC!!!

Damn thats nice, I've got two old mossberg 22s, one is early 40s single shot bolt like yours and a later 40s 22 with 5 rd mag magazine, the single was obviously a starter gun for youngsters, it has a grizzley bear decal on the stock.

It had a broken ejector. But a local guy was able to find a suitable replacement,  he polished And cleaned it while he had it.     He did a excellent job getting the old dirt off.    It was really dark and very little wood grain showing though. 

12 hours ago, 101Pathfinder said:

Not positive but believe around 1933 to 1935. I do know that the production period was short. My grand dad had one with a peep sight... I have no idea where it went...

I did manage to get his 1936 Remington Model 41 TargetMaster and it's a great shooting rifle - bolt action but single shot.

Thanks For Sharing your Information,  My "Grandpa" also had a single shot 22, Wards Western like you have pictured,

"Grandma"  gave the 22. to me,    after "Grandpa" passed,    Grandpa had kept this rifle in his old Milkhouse in a Long Oiled Sock.

Grandpa's 22. was the first Gun I had ever shot,  Grandpa was standing beside Me that October of 1962,  I remember the Gun Oil smell on the Rifle stock

I kept the 22. in Our  Milkhouse utility room for shooting Raccoons & Other large Critters in the Silo room area,

I did Like he did only in a Newer Gun Case Mounted Behind and above the Vacuum Pumps. It was out of reach for little Hands.

One Hot Summer Day we Had a Major Bulk Milk tank cooler Problem,  Our local Freon Repair fella wasn't available, He Suggested another Commercial Repair company,  I made the call, A Technician arrived but didn't have the correct "Dryer" for our system,

He would install & Repair our Bulk Tank Cooler in the next 6 hours, 

The company sent a Person that evening after chores and completed repairs while we continued working the Hay fields that evening. Every thing was fixed!! 

A month went By,   I needed Grandpa's 22. in the Dairy Barn for Racoon removal.

The 22. wasn't in it's spot,  I looked behind and underneath shelves,

It had been stolen,

I felt really Bad that I hadn't protected my "Grandpa's 22."    It wasn't the value of the Gun,... It had been grandpa's,..I never told another family member

Dannyredfan,   I look at your Pictures and think, Is it still in a collection or Just sold to a nobody.

The Rifle was missing in 1988,   I still miss it.

Jim Droscha

• Sad 7

3 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Thanks For Sharing your Information,  My Grandpa also had a single shot 22, Wards Western like you have pictured,

Grandma gave The 22. to me after grandpa passed,  Grandpa had kept this rifle in his old Milkhouse in a Long Oiled Sock.

Grandpa's 22. was the first Gun I had ever shot,  Grandpa was standing beside Me that October of 1962,  I remember the Gun Oil smell on the Rifle stock

I kept the 22. in Our  Milkhouse utility room for shooting Raccoons & Other large Critters in the Silo room area,

I did Like he did only in a Newer Gun Case Mounted Behind and above the Vacuum Pumps. It was out of reach for little Hands.

One Hot Summer Day we Had a Major Bulk Milk tank cooler Problem,  Our local Freon Repair fella wasn't available, He Suggested another Commercial Repair company,  I made the call, A Technician arrived but didn't have the correct "Dryer" for our system,

The company sent a Person that evening after chores and completed repairs while we continued working the Hay fields that evening. Every thing was fixed!! 

It had been stolen,

I felt really Bad that I hadn't protected my "Grandpa's 22."    It wasn't the value of the Gun,... It had been grandpa's,..I never told another family member

Dannyredfan,   I look at your Pictures and think, Is it still in a collection or Just sold to a nobody.

Jim Droscha

Unbelievable, I have never understood how anyone can justify such an action.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 101Pathfinder said:

Its buried away but I've got a family gun from my old man going to my son with a long "wow" history, 1894 Marlin 44/40, patina to no end, and still a shooter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Thanks For Sharing your Information,  My Grandpa also had a single shot 22, Wards Western like you have pictured,

Grandma gave The 22. to me after grandpa passed,  Grandpa had kept this rifle in his old Milkhouse in a Long Oiled Sock.

It had been stolen,

Jim Droscha

What a bloody shame, Shitrats don't understand how possessions have meaning. The aforementioned 44/40  was almost lost to a switcheroo between a trusting old man and someone who could care less about family history, that is until I stuck my ugly mug in and demanded answers and surrender of said firearm, I ain't no tuffy or mean by any means but I won't be ducked over.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

It had been stolen,

Jim Droscha

Pigs ,but pigs are  better then humans. My daughter had her locker ransacked at high school my favorite aunt had a ring, my mother had it, gave it to my daughter because she was named after her .

It was stolen and the school said tough luck.

I still regret allowing her to wear it to school.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

Thanks For Sharing your Information,  My "Grandpa" also had a single shot 22, Wards Western like you have pictured,

"Grandma"  gave the 22. to me,    after "Grandpa" passed,    Grandpa had kept this rifle in his old Milkhouse in a Long Oiled Sock.

It had been stolen,

Jim Droscha

The world is full of dirtbags... So sorry to hear you lost a family heirloom to one of them.

that is a nice rifle, I have a large collection of gallery rifles and other 22's that is a very nice rifle hang on to it it will only get more value!!

Here is a little bit that I found.

Wards 47a or L crosses to a Mossberg 45a

Magazine fed, bolt action, Takedown, 22 lr,l,s, tubular magazine holds 15(lr), 18(l), 22(s). 24" barrel.

Weight 6.75 lbs.

Plain pistol grip birch walnut finished stock, 1.25" swivels.

(45A) No. 1A front ramp sight, No. 2 rear sight, No. 3 receiver sight.

(L45AC) No. 1A ramp front sight, No. 2 rear sight, left hand No. 3 receiver sight

Made 1937-1938.

I can find no recent sales on gunbroker. The model 44 which is very similar, is selling in the range of $150 to $250

What a great family heirloom. I have my grandfather's Winchester model 64a and fox sterlingworth 20 gauge. Whatever you do do not clean the metal on any of those old guns with steel wool or any abrasive. If you take the metal out of the wood and boil it it will convert the ferrous oxide back to rust bluing. Once you have boiled it you use 0000 steel wool or a special carding brush to remove the black oxide layer. Underneath will be the old style mat rust bluing. You may have to repeat the process several times to get all the rust converted and off. If you're interested in this process go on YouTube and search for videos by Mark Novak who also goes by the name Anvil.  He is a professional gunsmith who has a wealth of knowledge on how to conserve old firearms without ruining the patina or finish of them.  You can use a length of gutter with two end caps in it stretched across the stove to boil the action in.  It is fascinating to watch how he can bring old guns back to life.  He also shows how to repair and clean old stocks in an appropriate manner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1