Any Lawn Boy 2 stroke fans?

Cattech

Just acquired a batch of dead push mowers. One happens to be a Lawn Boy Gold Series with electric start and 3 spd propel. It's a model 10546, & SN makes it a 1996. From what I can tell, it's supposed to be a "F" series engine, it is rated at 6.5 HP.

This is first of my question on it. The F engines were normally 4.5 HP models and the Duraforce that came out shortly later (97-98) was 6.5. Is this odd? Do I have a "stealth" Duraforce? The plastic all looks like an older F.

Second, it has the plastic carburetor, I have seen people say they prefer a metal carb F series. Is there a way to fit a metal carb on this thing? I have it torn down at the moment and if I could change that out now, would be easy.

Yes, I'm a fan but sorry I can't help with you questions.

The one I bought used back in the 80's started good, ran real smooth and had good power

This LB didn't run due to the lower crank seal being out. Don't know why it failed early as the paint is still on the bottom of the deck & it even looks like the blade is original. Far as I've found, it was a $1000 mower in 1996 - you usually don't give up on a machine like that... who knows?

Anyway, heck of a deal. Top of the line LB, a low end Toro with a bad float valve, a top line Craftsman just needing a wheel, 2 box store mowers, plus a few extra blades, parts - $50. :)Typical, just went to buy the Toro... bring whole trailer load home.

• Haha 2

We have a Silver Series at work.  I believe that it is a 4.5 hp, model 10301.  It is ideal for mowing significant slopes.  That is about the extent of my 2-stroke Lawn Boy knowledge.

I used one growing up.   Faded memory says it was also electric start (I remember having to move that confounded battery to the kitchen to charge it when done)

None the less....  my recollection of it (I'd call it mid 70's) it was as reliable as an anvil.  I don't recall it ever giving me any issues.  Light weight so I was able to push it with good ground speed.  We had a large yard with a slope on part of it so I'd push it up the slope and "trot" after turning around to go back down the slope.  The trot was really a VERY brisk walk but, the mower just ate whatever was before it.

I really don't recall ANY negatives with that thing.....to the point that today, 40  years later, I was debating a mower for my front yard (back is landscaped so no mower needed).  Debated specifically getting a LawnBoy but instead, got a riding mower which was replaced with another, and another......  and now, I have the Deere 430 mower that I got specifically because of its being diesel and me wanting to get away from all the gas cans laying around.  Since I already stock about 45 gallons of diesel, I thought it made a lot of sense.  Was a good decision for me.

My old man had one of these in the mid 50s, when I started my first automotive class at school I begged to take a perfectly running 2 stroke to class and strip it down and put it back together to never run properly again, was he a happy pappy, not so much.

vintage-lawn-boy-lawn-mower-advertising-0962-700x700.jpg

Used a lawn boy growing up for trimming. It was a good mower but no electric start. The offset side made it a one way trimmer but it was a nice mower. 

Remember using one as a kid for years, my buddy is on a big lawn boy 2 stroke collecting spree, been buying them up for a few years now

16 hours ago, nate said:

The lawn boys gotta be good if IH used them!

5BC740E8-BD32-4996-ACEE-1C7DBF0DEF9C.jpeg

Great picture! I wish the one I had ran!

19 minutes ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Great picture! I wish the one I had ran!

Thanks,  bought it brought it home and dumped mixed gas in it and two pulls it was running.   My eight year old insisted on mowing the back yard with it.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nate said:

Thanks,  bought it brought it home and dumped mixed gas in it and two pulls it was running.   My eight year old insisted on mowing the back yard with it.   

Wow that’s pretty good! What model # is yours? Mine is a 3323, it was my great grandpas 

I remember mowing my grandmother's lawn with a lawn boy. Also a neighbor had the self-propelled lawn boys with the salty behind them. They were great mowers. I love the cast aluminum decks that never rusted out.

After I grew up and discovered Roundup and a mower that would cut around a 10 inch circle I've never used to push mower again though.

• Like 1