Kubota RTV any good

forwhldrv

Got a chance to buy a used 2012 kubota RTV diesel with a plow and doors on it. It has some rust on the doors it was bought from a guy that plowed with it. I’m wondering what to look for worn out or that goes bad  figured I’d take it for a ride see how it goes try to get oil warm in hydrostatic transmission. It won’t get used much plowing some snow maybe and carrying Dad around shows and a little use around the farm. Does anybody have any experience with them. Thanks 

I sold my 08 rtv last spring with somewhere shy of 5400 hours . As long as you don't try to work it in high range they are possibly indestructible. I replaced a few Ujoints  over the years

IMG_20210310_180232792.jpg

Ours has outlasted 2 mules of a neighbors and a gator. They aren't speed demons but they are tough. We have had to put a few u joints in ours as well. Other than that just regular maintenance

Used one a little bit and liked it. Personally i have never met a Kubota I didn’t like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, forwhldrv said:

Got a chance to buy a used 2012 kubota RTV diesel with a plow and doors on it. It has some rust on the doors it was bought from a guy that plowed with it. I’m wondering what to look for worn out or that goes bad  figured I’d take it for a ride see how it goes try to get oil warm in hydrostatic transmission. It won’t get used much plowing some snow maybe and carrying Dad around shows and a little use around the farm. Does anybody have any experience with them. Thanks 

When they bought me a Gator, in 2012, I swore I would only use it maybe to gather horses. That stupid thing was used hard everyday I was around. You will use a side by side a lot!

Back on subject, I got my Gator stuck in the swamp, Lisa was working for the Kubota dealer in Valentine and brought home a RTV. Pulled me and the fence trailer out no problem. They are a beast and extremely safe. My only problem with them is they are slow. 

• Like 1

I generally like Kubota products but I worked for a large excavating contractor and we had a few with their share of issues for big pipeline jobsites. The Kubotas got used hard and they had a large amount of transmission related problems.  Granted,  every Tom, Dick and Harry jumped in them and beat them. The old Polaris 6x6 and old chain drive Deere Gator were dependable as could be. Probably because everyone wanted to play on the newer Kubotas and stayed off the ratty old beater machines. 

1 hour ago, Frank H said:

big pipeline jobsites

No offense intended, being in the equipment repair business, I'd say many pipeline crews could break an anvil with a rubber mallet. ;)

As far as Kubota utv's, they have about the best reputation of the industry for reliability. They are built with the intention of being a slower utility machine rather than a beefed up trail runner that can do some work. So, IMO, as long as you can live with the 25 mph top speed, you can't really go wrong if the price is right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cattech said:

No offense intended, being in the equipment repair business, I'd say many pipeline crews could break an anvil with a rubber mallet. ;)

As far as Kubota utv's, they have about the best reputation of the industry for reliability. They are built with the intention of being a slower utility machine rather than a beefed up trail runner that can do some work. So, IMO, as long as you can live with the 25 mph top speed, you can't really go wrong if the price is right.

I absolutely agree.  Those machines were not driven or operated,  they were beaten.  

• Haha 1

We have one at work, use it as a spray rig. For a work outfit they can’t be beat. We have done very little in repairs other than regular maintenance. 

Big Steve just got a used one.....its a horse!

He uses it all the time.......hardly ever drive the golf cart anymore around the farm.

4 hours ago, New Englander said:

How much snow can one push?

Never plowed with a UTV, but my ATV can doze right through a 2 foot snowdrift or a foot of accumulated & set up old snow. Quite impressive for the size of equipment. 

We have about 6 in the neighborhood. we run about 10 at work. I prefer the 900 because it has the medium range. I use that alot. Get it good and warm. Take it for a long mile or so drive. Then see if you can stall the engine on a large hill or by riding the brakes. If not properly taken care of they tend to wear grooves in swash plate in hydro and that's when it will show up the most. I have 1 right now that's doing it. Neighbor bought it at a dealer and drove it around the lot a few times with no issue. Then once it warmed up it would basically slip on hills. Engine would rev up high with no power.  That's really the only major thing to look for.  I know young guys that want to go fast hate them and that's fine. I want a workhorse and that they are. Good luck 

My friend in Dumas bought two for his tractor salvage yard. They used them hard in the mud and everything. They are very hard on them and they didn't hold up long. They could tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer too. 

They are back to 4x4 trucks.

Thx-Ace 

9 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

We have about 6 in the neighborhood. we run about 10 at work. I prefer the 900 because it has the medium range. I use that alot. Get it good and warm. Take it for a long mile or so drive. Then see if you can stall the engine on a large hill or by riding the brakes. If not properly taken care of they tend to wear grooves in swash plate in hydro and that's when it will show up the most. I have 1 right now that's doing it. Neighbor bought it at a dealer and drove it around the lot a few times with no issue. Then once it warmed up it would basically slip on hills. Engine would rev up high with no power.  That's really the only major thing to look for.  I know young guys that want to go fast hate them and that's fine. I want a workhorse and that they are. Good luck 

I see lots of people running around in what i consider too high a range all the time, these hydros want to be throttled up. If they are always slipping and half the available RPM it seems hard on them. The L3800 here at the house almost never leaves low range. The backhoe is almost always in 1st gear, those I know who run around in higher gears all seem to end up with trans issues. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I see lots of people running around in what i consider too high a range all the time, these hydros want to be throttled up. If they are always slipping and half the available RPM it seems hard on them. The L3800 here at the house almost never leaves low range. The backhoe is almost always in 1st gear, those I know who run around in higher gears all seem to end up with trans issues. 

This is key to them lasting forever