Jerry Mez (Farmall Land)

1466fan

8 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Wow, RIP, he really rode that right to the end. Did it say what he passed away from? Was he ill? I don’t follow the Facebook stuff. 

No, it didn't say what he passed away from. What I saw last night was from one of his grandkids who tagged him in their post. 

I believe based on talking to a gentleman at RPRU that worked for him until the end that his health was failing rapidly then. Not totally sure the issue so I don’t want to give bad info. 

2 hours ago, IHRedDrive said:

Always had time for a conversation. 

He opened up his office the day my buddy and his son and I were at FarmallLand a year ago,  he invited any and all in to look at his scale models of pulling tractors and other things he had on display.  Ii asked him several questions, like " How many former FARMALL Plant employees have been here.",  and I was happy to hear a lot had been.  Max Armstrong had mentioned on his show a week or two before that FarmallLand was closing and He needed to make a road trip, he hadn't been there yet. I zsked Jerry if Max had been there.  Max Who?

I drove to Avoca on Friday afternoon, stayed at Motel 6 just across Interstate, was first vehicle in the parking lot,  my Buddy drove from his home and got there a half hour later. The place got crowded, we walked outside to go someplace for lunch and the parking lot was packed, the service road was lined with cars both sides, and cars across the road too.  Probably the busiest day they ever had till the next weekend.  That was Sept. 12th, two weeks before they closed.

Too bad about Jerry's passing.

• Like 3

The CSM and I were both so sorry to hear this news today. Had many good visits with Jerry over the years. One of my favorite memories was Jerry and I being cooped up in a corner of the crowd in the storm shelter during the Great LaPorte IN RPRU Tornado!! We had a great talk that evening. He'll be missed by a lot of people.

• Like 3