TD8 International Dozer

Hi folks!

I am in the market for a 6 way dozer. Found one close to my neck of the woods so it would save me a wad of cash to not transport it. Guy says the hours meter is broken and he put on only about 30 hours, not sure total. I will go look it over and post pictures ASAP. Looking around the net I see them going for 4 to 15K, huge range to say the least.

BUT

What are these things worth?? He is at 14K$$ and he thinks 1975ish. Seems high. Also got a really good leak going on one of the side to side cylinders and will need a seal he says.

I have heard they are high $for replace parts if need much.

For now some general ideas and advice and I will post more picts and info as I get more.

Thanks, Jim

What happened to the old T6?

As far as this machine, much more modern and usable if you have actual work for it to do.  If its in very nice condition, has a 6 way blade, and good undercarriage, price may be within reason.  I would think that would be about a $10,000 machine around here, depending on condition. 

45 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

What happened to the old T6?

As far as this machine, much more modern and usable if you have actual work for it to do.  If its in very nice condition, has a 6 way blade, and good undercarriage, price may be within reason.  I would think that would be about a $10,000 machine around here, depending on condition. 

Still got the TD6, just need a little more of a real dozer to get some road work done along with maybe a pond.

Thx

Here's some actual pictures.

Of course many gauges are toast. Series E, Serial suggests 1979.

14K on the price i still think is a little proud!

20211004_130336.thumb.jpg.0b135122c9e699d861b5a3bcaca36246.jpg20211004_131312.thumb.jpg.fd07528560d217796b4d7ac7b1cf4416.jpg

@vtfireman85can comment can’t recall his model but it’s cherry❤️
I will be abnormally harsh on I think that is priced on the high side but with the price of things these daze maybe I’m out of touch?

Its ok but it’s condition isn’t on the high end more good middle 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@hardtail thanks, thats my pet dozer😁 cheaper than a girlfriend 😂

ours is a TD7G, 3400 hrs 92 or 3 model year. i think 2014 or 15 we paid 11,000. He was asking 13 ish, it was pretty solid, no breaks or welds, 80-75% bottom, decent pads. Spenr all one winter whenever I could between dad and i and went through from one end to the other, new tilt shims and pins/bushings for the blade and push frame, new shims and built up the guides for the front idlers some new hoses, fixed a smashed cylinder full fluid and filter change, pressure washed it about 6 times.. after all that it seemed like a shame not to paint it, so i did, couple skeeters in it but not bad .

in any event if you care to have it right you can drop 5-6K without breaking a sweat unless you buy one that someone already has. Get under it, look for welds and breaks everywhere, check the pin wear, make sure the front idler slides arent whomped out beyond repair and that they aren’t chewing into the Cylinders  or push frame that should have 15”? Pads ?? They are tight clearance and people don't shim as much as they should. Check the blade pivot pin, they like to wear through the bushings and then you have a hard time making them right again.  Of course the usual on the bottom, rollers, sprockets, chains etc. they should all be worn evenly and check the chains for cracks. Make sure you have a good relationship with your dresser or Komatsu dealer you will need them . Hard to beat the D239 in an E series.. except for the 4 B in the G series. Good machine but 13 seems steep unless it has a brand new bottom 

AB5B539E-2FDC-4B79-B40F-15E7718594AD.jpeg

5C74D833-C132-44FE-A533-F5631B63CC33.jpeg

5EC4EC10-A53F-4EF2-91F2-3213449D8827.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the looks of the pads, sprockets and the idler moved out to the end of the frame tells me that it is in need of a new undercarriage.  I would price and check availability before moving forward.  I think you could do better for the money 

Good luck.  Dennis

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, farmalldr said:

From the looks of the pads, sprockets and the idler moved out to the end of the frame tells me that it is in need of a new undercarriage.  I would price and check availability before moving forward.  I think you could do better for the money 

God luck.  Dennis

5-8k as of a couple years ago, chains, sprockets and some rollers if you do, call Empire in NY they were very good to deal with. 
https://www.empiretractorparts.com

• Like 1

13 hours ago, farmalldr said:

God luck.  Dennis

I always have a hard time judging the sprocket teeth without a new one next to it. This one does seem dished out. 

The idler is way out, any chance the chain has been replaced with longer one??? Can't imagine it stretched that much. 

6 hours ago, Brews4me said:

I always have a hard time judging the sprocket teeth without a new one next to it. This one does seem dished out. 

The idler is way out, any chance the chain has been replaced with longer one??? Can't imagine it stretched that much. 

They will stretch that much plus you have wear on the sprockets, bushings and idlers and the chain itself wears. Don't know about now but years ago it was common as a shade tree repair to drop a link to shorten the chain and get more adjustment. 

Rick

• Like 1

I’ve seen way worse sprockets but they are on their way to getting sharp

Yes the chain stretch can be real, this is caused by internal pin and bushing wear, this is the cruel reality of undercarriage wear one part is going one direction chains (longer) and the sprocket is getting smaller 

• Like 1

Thanks all!

My ranch is 222 miles from Denver and you guys helped me get straight in my mind that the underside is going to take some TLC along with some ca$h. I believe I would be better served by either spending a little more on something that might be a little better fit for me. I do believe that 14K is too proud although I think this guy paid close to that or more. The sprockets and chain length might tell me it has some good amount of hours on it. Seems funny that the hours meter is always broken on tractors that are on the edge of what is really going on!! 

Thanks much!

2 hours ago, Brews4me said:

Thanks all!

My ranch is 222 miles from Denver and you guys helped me get straight in my mind that the underside is going to take some TLC along with some ca$h. I believe I would be better served by either spending a little more on something that might be a little better fit for me. I do believe that 14K is too proud although I think this guy paid close to that or more. The sprockets and chain length might tell me it has some good amount of hours on it. Seems funny that the hours meter is always broken on tractors that are on the edge of what is really going on!! 

Thanks much!

I think good choice to walk from this one .  I doubt the chains have extra link.  Like already said, you can remove a link to buy some time but that doesn't fix anything.  You can find something better.

Dennis

• Like 1

Depending how big a dozer you need I did a little research. That TD8 is slightly larger than an old D4 Cat (pre 62) and smaller than a newer D5. I found a good looking by the pictures 76 D5 in MI (I know too far) for 16,500. When you are talking having one delivered shipping has to be added to the price and that can add up quickly! Also area can make a huge difference in prices. Here, west MN? You would think there was gold under all that rust and dirt. I felt really good about a T340 with Drott 4in1 and Ripper I bought last month for 3000. Looking around I could flip it for 5500-6500. Just luck of the draw. I don't know about your area. You may be better off having an appraiser take a look at anything you may find. You start looking at under carriage stuff and you can add bills up real fast!

Good luck!

Rick 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

A question from the periphery

I was told that the life of a set of squeaker tracks was about 4000 hours without a pins and bushes turn.  If so and those are original tracks that would still be a pretty young dozer?

Ian......the variables  are endless...!!!   what is the tractor doing ??  ground   conditions  ??     

An agricultural   application....a tractor not cluttered up with tons of ''pig iron''.......neither blade ..nor winch.......and doing Ag    work off the drawbar, will do big hours on the old type chains.....add a long track frame into the equation, and another bottom roller....and it will pull a few  more percentage hours , from the chains,

There are really abrasive soil types that further diminish track life.......logging with the old,venerable   Cat D7.....pulling drags through mud..gravel  etc was very  hard on chains ....and sprockets.... Any application  involving winches is hard on undercarriage   and finals ..

Roading  has many variables as well......punching through  rock, for days on end is tough on the un dercarriage....as compared with   doing subdivision work etc , where the machines  are working , usually in some valuable bottom land that should be producing food.......not endless little box's......

The advent of SALT chains has raised the  hour bar, considerably....your are correct about the old 4/5000  hr life prior to a pin and bush turn....that seems to be no longer fashionable......however, by the look of the tidy TD8  heading this topic......one link removed and new or rebuilt sprocket to factory specs, would give that machine another  thousand hours of   '''the pond ..and other non life threatening jobs around the farm.....''     At that point the chains ...and the new sprockets  would be knackered...totally........... But...importantly, the cost of that is but a fraction of what a P and B    turn  would cost...

I have preached this idea, on this forum over many years....but by starting life in the Caterpillar Dealership....working as a welder. on track repair and fabrication, it gives one a great insight into the vagaries of track wear and subsequent repair.... A great head start, you might say.....

The other issue ...the pocket burning issue....the  asking price of the tidy TD8.......a very subjective issue......I have zero idea of what market prices of track machines , are in Colorado.....but one only needs to check out the eye watering  cost of late model   Cat  or Komatsu  ..in that size range...It puts the  ''asking price of what appears to be a very tidy tractor'' in total perspective.....

picture taken in about 1962.....a quick sprocket   ''tidy up''.....for  a proper job, the sprockets were removed from the machine

Mike

post-157-1202413671.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mike newman said:

Ian......the variables  are endless...!!!   what is the tractor doing ??  ground   conditions  ??     

An agricultural   application....a tractor not cluttered up with tons of ''pig iron''.......neither blade ..nor winch.......and doing Ag    work off the drawbar, will do big hours on the old type chains.....add a long track frame into the equation, and another bottom roller....and it will pull a few  more percentage hours , from the chains,

There are really abrasive soil types that further diminish track life.......logging with the old,venerable   Cat D7.....pulling drags through mud..gravel  etc was very  hard on chains ....and sprockets.... Any application  involving winches is hard on undercarriage   and finals ..

Roading  has many variables as well......punching through  rock, for days on end is tough on the un dercarriage....as compared with   doing subdivision work etc , where the machines  are working , usually in some valuable bottom land that should be producing food.......not endless little box's......

The advent of SALT chains has raised the  hour bar, considerably....your are correct about the old 4/5000  hr life prior to a pin and bush turn....that seems to be no longer fashionable......however, by the look of the tidy TD8  heading this topic......one link removed and new or rebuilt sprocket to factory specs, would give that machine another  thousand hours of   '''the pond ..and other non life threatening jobs around the farm.....''     At that point the chains ...and the new sprockets  would be knackered...totally........... But...importantly, the cost of that is but a fraction of what a P and B    turn  would cost...

I have preached this idea, on this forum over many years....but by starting life in the Caterpillar Dealership....working as a welder. on track repair and fabrication, it gives one a great insight into the vagaries of track wear and subsequent repair.... A great head start, you might say.....

The other issue ...the pocket burning issue....the  asking price of the tidy TD8.......a very subjective issue......I have zero idea of what market prices of track machines , are in Colorado.....but one only needs to check out the eye watering  cost of late model   Cat  or Komatsu  ..in that size range...It puts the  ''asking price of what appears to be a very tidy tractor'' in total perspective.....

picture taken in about 1962.....a quick sprocket   ''tidy up''.....for  a proper job, the sprockets were removed from the machine

Mike

post-157-1202413671.jpg

Mike that's the whole thing. What you would pay here in west MN for say a late 50's early 60's D6 is a lot higher than say in an area like mid ID. I paid 2300 for a 1947 7U D4 that needs some attention. It did run when I bought it. At the same time I could have gotten an early 50's D6 in better shape in ID for 2500. The quote to have it hauled here about knocked my socks off. They wanted about 7000 just to haul it here. Be closer to 12 today. To be fair it included the blade and winch. What about 35,000 or so? Requires oversized load permits too.

Rick

Rick.....I understand the ''hauling''   issues....and the costs.....I had the opportunity to get a TD24...from a Forestry crew.....for the taking of it away.....(It had a blown final drive...and I knew where another ''dead '' TD24 was...for parts...)  Presumimg  "'ID""   is Idaho ???......well,obviously you were talking a loooong     haul back to the green  State of  Minnesota......Well the haul in question of the TD24 was inchs.....as compare d with  what you are talking....!!!!

But..the logistics of buggering around .....convincing  a good Friend who had an adequate Low Bed......thern  getting a dead  machine on ...requiring more heavy equipment....and so and so ...and given   where the machine was , way up in a Forestry block.....I flagged it..besides it could never be shifted off our place ...had I got it there....unlike the T20.s/TD6 and TD 9's   .....

Back to the TD8  'deal'' which started this topic....For me, the tracks actually would have been the least important  factor.....in buying a machine like that.....I would have been way more interested in the drive train...from the Radiator    back to the Final drives.....

Why..??    because most parts   from the Water pump   back to the dura  cone  seals in the final drives will  be  classed as NLA.....End of story... That is the harsh reality of now obsolete   International   equipment...Possibly   with   "Dresser"   marking...maybe you blokes up there might luck in with a few pieces and bits......

So, for me ...if that tractor seemed sound and functioned properly....as required.....it would be a definite ''project   goer''...and the tracks would be of secondary  consideration...   BUT....that is because of the knowledge I have attained on bloody crawler/excavator tracks over the last   60 odd years....This is not bragging  !!!...I am just  an old red neck hill billy.....still  operating  track machines for one particular outfit   .....and because I have yet to  ...and never will, own a ''cell phone ''..the  Farm Manager  says  "'Whatever  you do, Mike...don't fall off the Machine and kill yourself....the paper work will be endless...""   This is in respect of the age that has rushed up on to me......I guess...:(.....and because I have no wish to ''learn''  a cell phone......Old and stupid....my wife says....  (shrugs shoulders....and thinks about the freakin'kids that spend hours poking fingers into those phone things....."".Who is the most stupid  ?""..I mutter to myself...)

So..with some knowledge....and experience, all that under carriage  can be brought back to life..on a crawler.....if the rest of it is ''up to scratch''......and if the rest of the machine is that good.......there are so many excavator chains now available , for a ''conversion' to suit   existing   roller/ idler / dimensions  etc...

picture of the TD24 ...Bloke with far bigger pockets than I had...brought it off the Logging crew...and got her going once more..pictured at our local show, some years gone...the other picture is the top half of a 20   ton  Komatsu Excavator.....laying on its side .....it all but ''fell  off'' the bottom ..undercarriage half.....so welding all that up makes fixing up track components  on a small machine   of TD6./8/9  ...not such a big deal ......but..again......it is what you know....

That is my lecture, for this Saturday morning, down under....:)

Mike

post-157-1233477451.jpg

DSC02440.JPG

• Like 1

Going into fall I may let it ride to spring in Colorado. I have always thought 14K$ might be too high but the unit itself does have potential. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to pay premium price and then have to fix everything. Will also look all winter on one season for others.

I would do some serious looking for something else if it were me. Cat D-6's here go for $2,500 to $10,000 here and trucking is not that expensive if you shop around. Loads here are hard to find and a lot of guys are competing for them! D-6's move easy and fit on a lot of the smaller  trailers.

On 10/17/2021 at 8:50 AM, SONNY said:

I would do some serious looking for something else if it were me. Cat D-6's here go for $2,500 to $10,000 here and trucking is not that expensive if you shop around. Loads here are hard to find and a lot of guys are competing for them! D-6's move easy and fit on a lot of the smaller  trailers.

Sonny.....I would imagine a D 6 Caterpillar, for the $2500 , lower end price , that you suggested, would offer  some serious   refurbishing.......It would have to be about ready for the scrap heap......at least one can buy Cat parts...but the parts are not cheap !!

Mike

Parts are not cheap for any brand now days. -- The $2,000 D-6 I saw was a great running dozer and had starting engine ignition problems, but I know exactly how to fix that cheap. This equipment now is selling very slow around her,--- lots of guys dumping it on the market with no buyers wanting to invest in it. Economy will have to get its act together before stuff sells vary good!

• Thanks 1