Loader tractor

Lazy WP

Many of you know I have been hunting for a cabbed loader tractor for a while. What I really wanted was an 870 Case, since I have an 800 and an 830. We were out in Pueblo Colorado over Labor Day, and I had Lisa drive home. She is always telling me I do all the driving, well, since she was driving, I got to playing on book face, and found a 2090  Case with a decent looking Leon 707 loader. Offered the guy a 1500 less, and ended up with it! Sight unseen, 700 miles from home, or there about. Have a neighbor who has a 53foot detach who was bouncing back from Washington state. Got the tractor hauled home for way less money than I could have done it for.

When I made the deal, I knew it had a burnt up wiring harness, $150 project plus my labor! No biggy! Well we got started working on it last night. It’s going to need a starter, wiring harness, hydraulic remotes, exhaust rebuilt, cause you can’t remove the loader, and it is quick attach, or should be, without taking the exhaust off!

Lots of tinkering involved but hopefully it will be a good one!EFBB71D7-A97E-405F-91F8-3AC9BE811258.thumb.jpeg.7da9511d44e4ddc82a286537dd98ea66.jpeg

54B0E74F-3E4B-485C-B929-3D5800EF9912.jpeg

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, IH766 said:

Looks like a solid unit, are you going to be relocating the exhaust?

Yeah I am going to move the stack against the cab

Nice tractor.  My neighbor had one he ran for years on the discbine.  He put a turbo on it at some point.  His was pretty rough at the end.  Yours looks pretty good cosmetically.

• Like 1

It’s got the 9 foot farmhand manure bucket. Standard bucket on farm hands up here. Then you were big stuff if you had the gravel plate that had loops that attached on tines. Then if you were big you had the snow scoop a big bucket for little tractors. Good luck with the case they were good tractors for the time also.

14 minutes ago, dale560 said:

It’s got the 9 foot farmhand manure bucket. Standard bucket on farm hands up here. Then you were big stuff if you had the gravel plate that had loops that attached on tines. Then if you were big you had the snow scoop a big bucket for little tractors. Good luck with the case they were good tractors for the time also.

Yeah, the Farmhand head is/was not designed to be put on a narrow loader, in front of a 100 horse tractor. It’s in BAD SHAPE! 
The tractor is 40 years old and had a cowboy, with NO MECHANICAL SKILLS run it for 3 years. I have a feeling I am going to find lots of Gremlins.😢

23 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

And since the starter was acting up, I pulled it and find this. 

7A7657AC-7ECE-47DB-B103-7007D97C0940.jpeg

Might be possible to repair it good enough with a die grinder 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bitty said:

Just reaching into the hole?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Just reaching into the hole?

Unless it's a wet area with transmission oil I would try to dress it up with a carbide bit on a die grinder . Take some time but it will beat the alternative if it is good enough to get a reasonable amount of time per starter

• Like 1

If you ever need parts or advice call Keegan at (605) 569-1070. There aren’t many that know those Case tractors like him out there. 

3 hours ago, bitty said:

Unless it's a wet area with transmission oil I would try to dress it up with a carbide bit on a die grinder . Take some time but it will beat the alternative if it is good enough to get a reasonable amount of time per starter

If it's the same as the 4wd's, which I believe it is, there is oil there. Not much though and can pull the cover off from the bottom and have more room to touch that up

5 hours ago, db1486 said:

If it's the same as the 4wd's, which I believe it is, there is oil there. Not much though and can pull the cover off from the bottom and have more room to touch that up

This one has oil, but like you said nothing extreme. I might try cleaning it up. I don’t have much to lose. Just frustrating that I thought a wiring harness was all or most of what it was going to take for a good usable tractor. 

9 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Yeah, the Farmhand head is/was not designed to be put on a narrow loader, in front of a 100 horse tractor. It’s in BAD SHAPE! 
The tractor is 40 years old and had a cowboy, with NO MECHANICAL SKILLS run it for 3 years. I have a feeling I am going to find lots of Gremlins.😢

I did get a good Leon bucket for it also, but it needs 2 grapple fork teeth built. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I did get a good Leon bucket for it also, but it needs 2 grapple fork teeth built. 

You see those farmhand buckets adapted to lots of loaders. They were the leading maker of high lift heavy use loader for real ranching people years ago. They would out reach and out lift any loader on the market. Until big bales became to heavy for them.

• Like 1

I still have my F11 on my 800 Case. I still think it is the best loader ever made as long as you are handling loose hay. 
I have put a 20 foot extension ladder in the bucket of it! I am not terribly afraid of heights, but I don’t like ladders and I REALLY DON’T LIKE THEM 23 feet above the ground!

8 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

This one has oil, but like you said nothing extreme. I might try cleaning it up. I don’t have much to lose. Just frustrating that I thought a wiring harness was all or most of what it was going to take for a good usable tractor. 

If you pull the bottom cover off if can be a real pain to get the 2 middle bolts out. Luckily on a 2wd you got lots of room to work

Sometimes that's the way it goes. Our 766 had no hydraulics when we bought it. Could see the ipto shaft was turning in the pressure plate hub. What should've been a easy fix turned in to pulling the ta out because the input shaft splines were almost non existent. Or the 1486 project we bought that wouldn't go in to reverse. Was hoping it was a broken shift fork or something easy but nope, not a tooth left on the reverse gear lol

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, db1486 said:

If you pull the bottom cover off if can be a real pain to get the 2 middle bolts out. Luckily on a 2wd you got lots of room to work

Sometimes that's the way it goes. Our 766 had no hydraulics when we bought it. Could see the ipto shaft was turning in the pressure plate hub. What should've been a easy fix turned in to pulling the ta out because the input shaft splines were almost non existent. Or the 1486 project we bought that wouldn't go in to reverse. Was hoping it was a broken shift fork or something easy but nope, not a tooth left on the reverse gear lol

He told me he was using it up until the wires burned. It has an 11 tooth drive instead of 12. 

On 9/29/2021 at 7:00 PM, Lazy WP said:

And since the starter was acting up, I pulled it and find this. 

7A7657AC-7ECE-47DB-B103-7007D97C0940.jpeg

On 9/29/2021 at 7:25 PM, bitty said:

I posted a thread on my 656 a while ago.

Hit the starter button and dead thunk. First fear was motor rwas locked.

I went in with a good (new) sharp file and dressed the buggered up teeth on the starter ring gear and cleaned up the starter drive gear.

Been starting like a new one ever since.

Really didn't take much time at all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I posted a thread on my 656 a while ago.

Hit the starter button and dead thunk. First fear was motor rwas locked.

I went in with a good (new) sharp file and dressed the buggered up teeth on the starter ring gear and cleaned up the starter drive gear.

Been starting like a new one ever since.

Really didn't take much time at all.

I am a bit concerned about the filings getting in the power shift. But I REALLY DON’T WANT to split the tractor. 

3 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

I am a bit concerned about the filings getting in the power shift. But I REALLY DON’T WANT to split the tractor. 

Can they?

Stick s couple cow magnets in there?

• Like 1