My friend Steve

sandhiller

Just got back from the funeral of my friend Steve.

West Nile destroyed his immune system. Second bout with Covid did him in.

Overflowed every room in the church and moved outside. Big church too.

Three pastors did duty.

It was truly a celebration of his life.

Won't bore you all the stories but one.

When they put Steve on a ventilator, he said seven days is it.

Then I am either going home 👈 (pointed west).

Or going home 👆(pointed up).

All those that attended him said they never saw a man die happier.

When you know where you are going, death is not scary.

So many people don't know where they are going and certain forces in this country are trying to keep them from searching, creating a lot of fear.

Know where you are going.

• Like 26

He’s HOME!! 
Don’t grieve for the loss of a friend, just know that you will be seeing him again!! Our time on earth is short, we’ll all be together with our loved ones that are gone from here, soon enough. They’re waiting for us.

It reminds me of the last verse of the Brad Paisley song “Waiting on a woman”

• Like 7

My friend and hunting buddy for the last 15 years was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last month. he had went to the doctor for pain in his neck and arm. It pays to be squared up with family , life and God. We have moved past the tears for now and he is bravely moving forward with treatments. He is trying to stay positive but he has his moments as I am sure we all would. A couple of weeks ago he stopped by and left one of his beloved .270 rifles " it is yours" he said. I replied nope but if you insist I will hold it here at the house for deer season.

If I am forced to I will drop one in his honor but I am praying he will be here.

Needed to unload this for a while  not healthy grinding on it  Pretty sure God has to be weary of all this asking why

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Know where you are going.

Sorry for your loss.

You have a great way of putting words together to get it all in perspective. Know where you are going indeed.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always said it’s hardest on those left behind, the celebration of life ones are the best, had one for my closest aunt last weekend, she was 94 had 2 kids and her husband a WW2 vet predecease her, she had a tough but wonderful life and was ready to go home 

These are glimpses to look at your path and get yourself to be in position to behold the greatest reception ever

• Like 5

1 hour ago, junkandcattle said:

My friend and hunting buddy for the last 15 years was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer last month. he had went to the doctor for pain in his neck and arm. It pays to be squared up with family , life and God. We have moved past the tears for now and he is bravely moving forward with treatments. He is trying to stay positive but he has his moments as I am sure we all would. A couple of weeks ago he stopped by and left one of his beloved .270 rifles " it is yours" he said. I replied nope but if you insist I will hold it here at the house for deer season.

If I am forced to I will drop one in his honor but I am praying he will be here.

Needed to unload this for a while  not healthy grinding on it  Pretty sure God has to be weary of all this asking why

Just went through that situation with my friend George and stage IV esophageal cancer.

It sounds like you are a good friend.

Be there for him.

Talk frankly about his changing condition. 

Reminisce about the good times.

He doesn't want pity, he wants his friend to be steady.

You can be his rock to lean on when the going gets real rough and it will.

You are God's answer to his prayers.

Will pray hard for a good outcome

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jeff you have comfort in knowing that you will see him again someday. It's one of the things that makes life worth living

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This giving hope in a time of loss is what make me think so much of people that post on here. Jeff has given us all much wisdom  in his word of encouragement.

Junkandcattle nothing to feel sorry for, you needing some venting and uplifting I hope we can be of help here. I tend to hold things a lot of times, but at times you need to let it out. I have felt the power of this group several times as I struggled with heath issues. Hopefully I can return the favor to others here.

🙏🙏🙏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, bitty said:

Jeff you have comfort in knowing that you will see him again someday. It's one of the things that makes life worth living

That is exactly how I feel Tim.

I am completely at peace knowing that those who have gone on before me will be there waiting to greet me with smiling faces and warm embraces when my time comes.

It will be a happy reunion.

2 hours ago, ray54 said:

This giving hope in a time of loss is what make me think so much of people that post on here. Jeff has given us all much wisdom  in his word of encouragement.

Junkandcattle nothing to feel sorry for, you needing some venting and uplifting I hope we can be of help here. I tend to hold things a lot of times, but at times you need to let it out. I have felt the power of this group several times as I struggled with heath issues. Hopefully I can return the favor to others here.

🙏🙏🙏

Ray so many people on this forum inspire me with their stories and words of encouragement, accomplishments and caring when someone is going through a rough spot.

No one is ever alone as long as they can come on here.

So many I hope to meet face to face some day.

Thanks again to BJ and the Meissner's for bringing this meeting place back.

When it was gone, it left a hole.

• Like 5

Steve probably did as much to promote the ranchers lifestyle, in words and pictures, as any man in the 21st century!! I had the pleasure of riding with him a few times, before West Nile, and helped him and Brock brand and precondition a couple times. 
He is going to leave a big hole, and shoes to fill!!

I know someone mentioned Ranchers.net on here while looking for a place to B.S. Steve’s handle there was Soapweed. 

• Thanks 1

That was taken 10 years ago. Moving neighbors cows home from the “forest”.

Yep, everyone wants to be a cowboy until it’s cowboy time 😜 I miss it at times, but I sure like my life now also. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

Steve was always good at sharing pictures. 

BDEA109A-A387-4AE9-A65D-4070C6735A1B.jpeg

Many years ago, I ran across something like this, about 18-20 miles south of Walden, CO. on Highway 14, as they were moving cattle along the highway.

HOWEVER, it was nothing compared to later the next day, after spending the night in Craig, and headed west towards Vernal, Utah:

DSCN1444_315.thumb.JPG.ea4e0c078307d119d343a22565550d30.JPG

• Like 1