Towing capacity of 1982 S1724

Mr. Soot

Engine and transmission will affect what it will practically pull. 

Here out east when I plated a pickup, I asked about registered weight and towing, right or wrong it was explained to me the weight of the trailer and how much you can tow was related to what you PAID it to be and what your license allowed you to drive. 

The plates of the tow vehicle only the vehicle and any cargo (including tongue weight) to be what you plated (your case 22,000kg) The trailer was separate and covered by it's own plates. 

It is was me, I'd take the 22,000kg, minus the weight of the empty truck and use that as a starting guideline. 

If you can find a GCWR rating, the tow capacity can be interpreted to be the difference between GCWR and actual weight of the truck. 

It's a loaded question, harharhar!!!

My Dad ran an 81 S1724 single axle tilt and load, 24? foot deck, MV404 5+2 and later got a MV446, I don't know all the weight numbers but a 66 86 series sized tractor was its max reasonable capacity, it would haul way more too if you are patient/crazy enough to do it, dated by today's standards for sure but capable, the 404 still hauled two tractors and pulled a mower conditioner with a burnt valve or two, exceptionally gutless and terrible on fuel, but ran and worked until it's replacement engine was ready, good truck for sure, if you like this truck and want something different then this might be for you, if you want an old truck like that that will haul finding a 466 powered truck would be what I'd prefer

The MV engines in Dad's truck were pretty neat though, they were governed to 4200? kind of RPM by the electronic ignition, and you drove the pants off it trying to keep it revving up there, they take a beating for sure

I don't have the spec sheet for your 1724, but for a 1700 Loadstar which should be somewhat similar, the GCWR runs from 35,000 to 45,000# depending upon which rear axle it has.  Subtract the weight of the truck and you have what IH rated it to tow.