Loosing Interest

ThePunisher

Do you ever lose interest in collecting stuff? I’ve been doing this for 10 years and have loved IH stuff and even some Oliver and Deere stuff. But lately I feel sort of blah…there was a huge tractor pull here and I didn’t even attend… just wasn’t interested. I find big events bring out hordes of braggers and people full of very pointed opinions and that just makes me want to hide. Not complaining just wondered if anyone else has felt that way?

• Like 4

I kind of get what your going through. I went to our local steam and gas show here labor day weekend to see a couple of friends that were displaying items there. I walked around for a couple hours, visited with them, then left. I really had no desire to be there. 

Right now I'm kind of going through a funk with my projects in the garage. I just can't seem to get myself motivated to work on any of them. Maybe it's because I have been focusing a lot of my time to my pumpkin project. I've been really busy at work all summer also. I'm hoping that maybe with the change of seasons I might get back into it.

• Like 2

Unfortunately I don't loose interest in trying to buy another 450/230 near as much as I have a light or empty wallet from it 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I hear ya, this whole not being around people has made me realize I don’t like people.being home more has made me realize I have somewhat different interests. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, ThePunisher said:

Do you ever lose interest in collecting stuff? I’ve been doing this for 10 years and have loved IH stuff and even some Oliver and Deere stuff. But lately I feel sort of blah…there was a huge tractor pull here and I didn’t even attend… just wasn’t interested. I find big events bring out hordes of braggers and people full of very pointed opinions and that just makes me want to hide. Not complaining just wondered if anyone else has felt that way?

. You were the guy I met at Skerrit's auction? I really enjoyed meeting you and spending some time with ya! maybe you need to move west! IMHO drag racing and tractor pulling brings out worst in some ppl with big pockets. Do you have any plowdays in your area? usually good ole boys at those.  🤠

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I kind of get what your going through. I went to our local steam and gas show here labor day weekend to see a couple of friends that were displaying items there. I walked around for a couple hours, visited with them, then left. I really had no desire to be there. 

Right now I'm kind of going through a funk with my projects in the garage. I just can't seem to get myself motivated to work on any of them. Maybe it's because I have been focusing a lot of my time to my pumpkin project. I've been really busy at work all summer also. I'm hoping that maybe with the change of seasons I might get back into it.

15 minutes ago, hillman said:

. You were the guy I met at Skerrit's auction? I really enjoyed meeting you and spending some time with ya! maybe you need to move west! IMHO drag racing and tractor pulling brings out worst in some ppl with big pockets. Do you have any plowdays in your area? usually good ole boys at those.  🤠

Yes indeed that was me!! Thinking back that was a great day… and there are a lot of great people. Being at home alone a lot does change the way you think and feel, and I think you hit the nail on the head. Maybe I’ll steer clear of the super competitive pulling guys and just focus on calmer activities for a bit🙂.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I hear ya, this whole not being around people has made me realize I don’t like people.being home more has made me realize I have somewhat different interests. 

You are 100% correct… actually I kind of backed away from online forums a little when I found Facebook groups. I’ve now come back to the forums as Facebook can quickly go downhill😬. There are lots of good people but I think now we can associate with people we like a lot easier and ignore the ones we aren’t so fond of. When we go back out like we used to into groups and activities we suddenly realize how much nicer it was not putting up with other peoples nonsense.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ThePunisher said:

You are 100% correct… actually I kind of backed away from online forums a little when I found Facebook groups. I’ve now come back to the forums as Facebook can quickly go downhill😬. There are lots of good people but I think now we can associate with people we like a lot easier and ignore the ones we aren’t so fond of. When we go back out like we used to into groups and activities we suddenly realize how much nicer it was not putting up with other peoples nonsense.

Yup, life is just a little too “peopley” for me these days. 

• Like 4

i hear ya comes and goes, used to really be into oil cans and gas and oil signs till the prices started to skyrocket and i refused to pay the high prices for an empty oil can that there was millions made of at one point i quit buying and still have my collection to this day nice to look at just cant justify selling them due the amount of time I invested in it

now IH stuff I'm always one the look out for cool pieces and tractors but its getting to be the same way as the oil cans people want a lot of money for brochures and signs etc. and I just don't see it 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThePunisher said:

Understand your thoughts , 

I think we throw ourselves into our collecting and or restoration passions and kind of loose ourselves in it .

I find that every so often I need to back off a while and get a balance .

Since finishing my baler project I was pretty tired of pushing it to finish , in doing so I was thinking this is it time to hang it up .

well after resting couple of weeks then finding myself in hospital with some heart rhythm issues and convalescing few weeks now I find myself going through the shop finding all these little projects that I can’t wait to get too.

I really think we ebb and flow , roll with it try to balance your life and I think your passion will return . Look out probably with a vengeance !! Lol

tony

• Like 7

Tony glad your ok😊 just curious on the rhythm issues was it the same as a 71 plunger?

I dive into something then struggle to maintain that drive to the end, used to call myself Mr 80%, now I’m lucky if 67, heck who am I kidding it’s 50:50 

I'm on the verge of retirement and was saving all this antique construction equipment and motorcycles for restoration but with the fuel trends I’d be best to dump most now while it has some residual value, you have to be able to change and adapt to the times

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tonyinca said:

Understand your thoughts , 

I think we throw ourselves into our collecting and or restoration passions and kind of loose ourselves in it .

I find that every so often I need to back off a while and get a balance .

Since finishing my baler project I was pretty tired of pushing it to finish , in doing so I was thinking this is it time to hang it up .

well after resting couple of weeks then finding myself in hospital with some heart rhythm issues and convalescing few weeks now I find myself going through the shop finding all these little projects that I can’t wait to get too.

I really think we ebb and flow , roll with it try to balance your life and I think your passion will return . Look out probably with a vengeance !! Lol

tony

Oh my goodness… glad you are doing better! I appreciate the advice and hope you are back doing those projects soon😊.

I got to the point where I realized that I can't save everything so I quit adding to the projects and just maintain what I have. As for the people comments I concur. It is nice just to piddle with projects at my  own little place and not have to put up with people. However if a decent I-14 would show up at my driveway I would have to take all this back, except the people thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I do not want to do what I thought I wanted to do 10 years ago and at that time always thought I would want too.I don't go to tractor pulls, don't go to tractor shows,didn't look too much at tractors entered in to the local fair when my kids showed horses,a few fair pigs and dairy cows many years ago. Just farmed with them I guess and you seen one M you seen them all.I do know you change as you get older,I go through spurts when working on stuff is fun to when it gets to point you just want to get it done. I work away at a full time job so things get done when I get home anyway or before work.I like working on stuff by myself but also like when my son has a chance for us to do things together.

I don't know the answer but I know nothing stays the same.

• Like 2

we are not allowed to discuss it but that is exactly what the "powers" want,divide and conquer.

nothing will matter but submit and follow to the  "state' adjenda ONLY.

I have been on the front lines of this going on 15 yrs and have lost near $100 million to the laws of/for "THEE"

Months back I asked for input to donate everything, to a deserving and proper "museum"   There are none that can continue in the future.

currently under terms of will,residual  will be destroyed and sent to trash not speculators/china  

I get it. I'm like VT. I find myself more now than ever ducking around corners of stores to prevent talking to people that I otherwise would have. I hide on the farm most weekends. My BIL lives about 2 miles away and we pretty much do the same things. Its funny I'm not a people person but yet once I'm forced to come out of my shell I'll talk until the cows come home. My good buddy is the exact opposite. He needs people around him at all times. He is always going somewhere with someone and has a good time everywhere he goes. Covid hasn't slowed him down very much at all. Usually if we go somewhere I have fun. So what gives. Lol 

Now as for hobbies. Sure we all get burned out. Take a step back, and it will come back around. I have a TON of little hobbies that I pick back up. some of it is seasonal for me as I have time. My lathe, tig welding, painting tractors just to name a few. When I'm busy as heck in the field I dont have time to practice tig welding, or try to build a new piece on the lathe. So winter time it is..  doesn't mean I lost interest. I used to reload to the point I was ate up with it. Haven't touched the handle in 4 or 5 years. Everything got hard to get so I said heck with it. I still have every single thing and eventually will pick it back up. My oldest boy is just now 5, but I have found a few things sprung back up because of him. Hunting and fishing to name a couple. Cheer up you'll be fine. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Yup, life is just a little too “peopley” for me these days. 

Sweet clean air, from East to west,

And room to go and come.

I like my fellow man the best,

When he is scattered some.

• Like 5

I have been driving truck for decades. I hate ppl 🤓 I like them in small doses

I collect and restore for my sanity and play with them when I get the chance. I have taken 2 different tractors to 3 different shows in 30 years. Just not my thing but with the crazy social distancing the past 18 months it would be nice to go to a show or club event.

Don't do anything crazy like selling your tractors until life gets back to "normal"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hillman said:

I have been driving truck for decades. I hate ppl 🤓 I like them in small doses

I collect and restore for my sanity and play with them when I get the chance. I have taken 2 different tractors to 3 different shows in 30 years. Just not my thing but with the crazy social distancing the past 18 months it would be nice to go to a show or club event.

Don't do anything crazy like selling your tractors until life gets back to "normal"

Good advice… thank you😊

I have been collecting IH toys and stuff for over 40 years.   From the toys I went to bigger tractors, literature  and implements.   Didn’t take long for me to realize that the IH stuff was just a way to socialize with people of the same interest.   I have lost interest in collecting  but still have all of the friends that I have made.   I have really enjoyed the last few years selling off my stuff.   Met a lot of really nice people.   Still have 6 tractors of which two of them my dad bought new.    Don’t consider them collectible , they hold a  lot of good memories.  Oh.  It sure is good not to have to keep 25 or so motors running and in good shape.   Still go to a few tractor and toy shows just to meet up with some of the people that I have made friends with over the years.   

• Like 4