Artificial Intelligence

IHC_1470

Not sure exactly what artificial intelligence is but this morning I had to put the electric at a rental place into my name.  I dealt with talking to a computer over the phone.  Very frustrating to say the least.

14 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

Not sure exactly what artificial intelligence is but this morning I had to put the electric at a rental place into my name.  I dealt with talking to a computer over the phone.  Very frustrating to say the least.

SImply put, machines that are capable of thinking and learning on their own. (self driving cars, autonomous farm equipment, etc.)  It's not the technology but the possible uses that could run afoul of forum rules.

When a self driving car can make it the 4 1/2 miles from the pavement to my house on icy roads in a heavy blizzard among the drifting snow.... THEN I will be impressed.   Hard to dismiss the wonderful, talented, intelligent creatures we humans are!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

When a self driving car can make it the 4 1/2 miles from the pavement to my house on icy roads in a heavy blizzard among the drifting snow.... THEN I will be impressed.   Hard to dismiss the wonderful, talented, intelligent creatures we humans are!

LOL!      100 years ago cars were in their infancy, presently self driving/autonomous vehicle's are in their infancy.  100 years from now people will probably say something like: I can't believe you actually had to sit in the front seat and steer it everywhere! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Without going into politics AI is going to reshape the world in terms of jobs and employment and it won't be for the better.  

Machines do replace people doing a task.  Only takes so many people to operate, oversee and repair them. With world population on the rise, less jobs on the horizon is scary. 

I don't think that kind of stuff is good at all. I think humans are at the top and should stay that way. No ways about it can make it sound good to me. I find it hard to believe that it's a good idea that a person, who is smart enough to make said machine, can make a machine to solve the "impossible" or be more advanced than a human. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:44 PM, acem said:

Some people need artificial intelligence.

They don't have any  on their own.

Thx-Ace 

So true 

I am afraid a lot have lost any reasoning power they need to be told how to do everything   

When the machine is built that is going to take over the world, it will likely stop moving unexpectedly 20 feet outside the factory door. Then it will take a team of technicians two weeks to find out if it is a broken wire, bad sensor, or a software problem. Then when the problem is discovered every single person working in it will say in unison “I’ve never heard of that happening before”. 

7 minutes ago, nomorejohndeere said:

You do have quite the post count................

Ohhhhh Buuuuuurn.

Here is the other problem 

If AI is learning from human interaction then it's doomed 

Image a population of robots that think they are entitled to everything free with out working for it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

They have robot French fry cookers now I wonder if they can tell if they are burning them?

Yes the smoke detector goes off.

• Haha 2

"Even the developers who work on this stuff, have no idea what it's doing!" This was quoted around 3:55.
8:10 is thought provoking to me, maybe I have no intelligence.

While there certainly can be good come from this there also can be some OH shucks issues and we had no idea this could happen moments too.
As New Englander quoted from the move 2001 A Space Odyssey HAL 9000: "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that" which by the way was filmed in 1968.
The second link says AI can write it's own software now so that quote may actually be todays realty. 
Interesting some of the paths we are on.

AI is like guns, not good or evil.

AI can be helpfull by solving problems and executing tasks.

Also AI can be abused to infringe peoples rights or make human workers obsolete. 

And what if AI decides humans are a plague for the planet and decides to reduce human population? If AI won't kill us, I am afraid humans become to dependend on AI and on technology in general, we will become lazy, fat and stupid people if we become more dependent.

• Like 1