Now we mean business

ny bill o

You don’t need the dealer to fix it other than who you get the parts from the system is no different than a car or pickup. Any a/c shop can diagnose and recharge, no let’s take a door off and breath all that dust and noise pollution to our ears, suit yourselves.

I don’t take my vehicles to dealers either. Buy new, windows down, heated seat on, pretty much never use Ac in them either. But, I think it hit 90 degrees less than 5x here this summer.  

If it was 115 degrees, sure, that would be different.

And if there’s dust in your hay, you’re doing it wrong. 

3 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

You don’t need the dealer to fix it other than who you get the parts from the system is no different than a car or pickup. Any a/c shop can diagnose and recharge, no let’s take a door off and breath all that dust and noise pollution to our ears, suit yourselves.

There is no shops near me that do this type of work. None of the auto places have enough time and only one that I know will do ac work at all. They are a 50 minute drive with a tractor away , not sure if they have big enough doors to fit in the shop . 

If you had a dealer do this type of work if they had any time it would cost what you can but a 66 series tractor for. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Been wanting to do the muffler eliminator on my 1486 but held off because of the "don't do it" 's..

Maybe I should get one coming while it's 2 - 0 in favor 😄

I had a 1086 with an eliminator and the original long straight pipe that thing was alot more quite than any I have heard with a curved stack. It wasnt noticeable in the cab at all. Ive always thought the staight pipe was the reason

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tractorholic said:

I had a 1086 with an eliminator and the original long straight pipe that thing was alot more quite than any I have heard with a curved stack. It wasnt noticeable in the cab at all. Ive always thought the staight pipe was the reason

reminds me of the 1950 L180 flat dump that Dad had. It had a length of eavestrough downspout running from the exhaust pipe to behind the rear axle when we got it around 1965. Remarkably quiet for the system.😀

• Haha 1

Exactly bitty. Although my guy did tell me he could replace everything AC related to the tune of $1500-2000.  I didn’t ask, he just blurted it out, and i told him to order it. Three years ago. And again this spring. 

There is one local truck shop that does most of the ACwork for the local municipalities, and last I had heard from one of the local road crew guys was that they were booked something ridiculous like 6 months out.   They damaged  a line or fitting (self inflicted injury) on a newer ten wheeler and they were “getting along without AC” and not taking the truck into the shop, until it was going in for scheduled service in the fall, or spring, idk, I do know that was the only AC shop around and that the township does -a lot- of business with that shop, and they could not get an appointment.

1 minute ago, tractorholic said:

On another note- I cant believe how some can bash people for taking the doors off. Its ridiculous.

I actually prefer a tractor with canopy 9 months out of the year, cab when there is snow . Only complaint is if you get near wasps or bees . 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ny bill o said:

the usual chopping pic, and how I started this season.

104_4723.thumb.JPG.4b2c4759c508292080934a8d4709d893.JPG

Ran into some soft ground, so I'm finishing with this.

1055726436_2021-09-2611_09_39.thumb.jpg.3181810a3d7d09c730574047b7a05240.jpg

The cab got smoky yesterday. Opened the hood and the muffler inlet had rusted off. New muffler is $950!!!!! Guess I'll see what the welding shop can do with it.

Did you get done chopping?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stronger800 said:

I don’t take my vehicles to dealers either. Buy new, windows down, heated seat on, pretty much never use Ac in them either. But, I think it hit 90 degrees less than 5x here this summer.  

If it was 115 degrees, sure, that would be different. 

But does it get humid there? 80s and a dew point of 73 is almost more miserable than a 100 degrees and dry heat.

We hit the 90s here in my part of Michigan 6 or 8 times all summer. But we were in the upper 80s a lot and boy were we humid. We were in the 70s dewpoint range all summer with nothing moving air wise. It's nice to get some of that humidity out when working.  

Sorry. Don't get it. AC work isn't that hard once you get the hang of it. Find and diagnose the problem and fix it. Yeah you have to vac it down but it can be done reasonably enough . Painting a tractor then taking the doors off off to me is like remodeling your house then letting the elements in by having no doors and windows. 

My opinion which last I knew I was entitled to. 

20 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Exactly bitty. Although my guy did tell me he could replace everything AC related to the tune of $1500-2000.  I didn’t ask, he just blurted it out, and i told him to order it. Three years ago. And again this spring. 

There is one local truck shop that does most of the ACwork for the local municipalities, and last I had heard from one of the local road crew guys was that they were booked something ridiculous like 6 months out.   They damaged  a line or fitting (self inflicted injury) on a newer ten wheeler and they were “getting along without AC” and not taking the truck into the shop, until it was going in for scheduled service in the fall, or spring, idk, I do know that was the only AC shop around and that the township does -a lot- of business with that shop, and they could not get an appointment.

So they took the doors off the truck?

• Haha 1

They put the windows down.  

We have had three Maxxums,  and when the AC stopped on the mx115, no I didn’t take the door off.  Only had 1100 or 1400 hr on it at the time, dealer tech told me a few things to check and I verified where there was, and wasn’t power, and that  the alternator was working.    Then he came out, spent an hr looking at it, decided it needed a compressor clutch (which I questioned because it didn’t have power going to it) and while he went to get a clutch......I found the wire that had fallen out of the back of the fuse box.   Another mechanic from the same dealership had suggested we look there, but the guy on sight didn’t “think that was it”.   

Doesn't get all that humid here either. Few days were abnormal early on this summer, but for the most part, we get along.

Personally, having a tractor with a cab and AC was a pretty big step for me. I had to do a little work on it, and I get to do some more this winter because the compressor just locked up. I will fix it, no reason not to, I can do all the work myself, and I want a comfortable cab in the summer. To each their own, everyone can make their own decisions, but I’ve spent a lot of years out in the heat on my 856, and when I have the option to be a bit more comfortable I will take it.

• Like 2

Nice line up of good old tractors, easy to work on and built to last.

Those tractors will still be around when the later ones will be scraped much like the H's and m's

• Like 4

Years back another farmer and I split the cost of a set of AC tools His son took a class on AC in school  we do our own AC work, not a lot to it  I recharge my combine every year or two only takes a little time also handy to keep my road trucks up and cool last few summers have been HOT here so its nice to have the AC working

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Frank H said:

Well on my M cab....... Wait, I don't even have power steering,  let alone a cab. Where am I?

al fresco?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

To each his own!  If you own it, it is yours to do with as you wish!  If it makes Bill happy, so be it!

"happy" isn't the question. Try "lots of other places to spend time and money that have better returns".

• Like 6