Now we mean business

ny bill o

the usual chopping pic, and how I started this season.

104_4723.thumb.JPG.4b2c4759c508292080934a8d4709d893.JPG

Ran into some soft ground, so I'm finishing with this.

1055726436_2021-09-2611_09_39.thumb.jpg.3181810a3d7d09c730574047b7a05240.jpg

The cab got smoky yesterday. Opened the hood and the muffler inlet had rusted off. New muffler is $950!!!!! Guess I'll see what the welding shop can do with it.

• Like 13

Been wanting to do the muffler eliminator on my 1486 but held off because of the "don't do it" 's..

Maybe I should get one coming while it's 2 - 0 in favor 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm going against the muffler eliminator for one reason in this case. No doors. Those of you talking about not much louder in the cab usually have tight cabs. 

• Like 3

I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear with the other so it don't bother me, could put the muffler above the hood 

some of the potato growers ran the exhaust down and up the cab corner with a truck muffler 

I still love the sound!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

No doors in New York?

not in the summer with no A/C. Every tractor has its own set of good earmuffs, so noise is less of an issue. Doors go back on when the weather gets cooler.

How does quality on eliminators compare? I see A&I and ASAP have them, as well as Thomure. Don't need stainless or chrome pipes, just want the smoke up and out of the cab. 

14 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

not in the summer with no A/C. Every tractor has its own set of good earmuffs, so noise is less of an issue. Doors go back on when the weather gets cooler.

How does quality on eliminators compare? I see A&I and ASAP have them, as well as Thomure. Don't need stainless or chrome pipes, just want the smoke up and out of the cab. 

I can't speak for the others but I put one of Thomures on a 5088 earlier this year and the fit and finish was perfect.

• Like 3

I have two new holland 900 choppers I don't chop corn only grass I really like them choppers guy down the road just bought a new New Holland disc  mower I stopped and looked at it today and They have really cut back on the Iron on the new stuff Guess they don't want it to last as long

• Sad 1

Snoopy certainly will pull more 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

ran the exhaust down and up the cab corner with a truck muffler 

I have a neighbor that did this on a 1086.

I really need to get over there and look it over to see how he did it. 

Driving by on the road at 45 while he is out baling hay, it looks real slick😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

I have two new holland 900 choppers I don't chop corn only grass I really like them choppers guy down the road just bought a new New Holland disc  mower I stopped and looked at it today and They have really cut back on the Iron on the new stuff Guess they don't want it to last as long

New holland 900s were very good choppers. There were a lot of those units around here back when they were new. They were very simple to operate and maintain. We ran two gehl choppers when we used pull types, a 1250 and a 1260 auto-max. There were a few John Deere pull types around but most of those were owned by guys with green in their veins.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Wi Ih said:

I put a Thomures on my 986 when I added the turbo and it fit perfectly and no noise difference in cab 44B2125D-E398-4145-9B3D-34080A79552C.thumb.jpeg.9f31e26371add59cd3d1a6b209ea47a8.jpeg

Thank you for that pic Brian!

I am getting that itch.........................................😆

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

New holland 900s were very good choppers. There were a lot of those units around here back when they were new. They were very simple to operate and maintain. We ran two gehl choppers when we used pull types, a 1250 and a 1260 auto-max. There were a few John Deere pull types around but most of those were owned by guys with green in their veins.

My 900 is a late model in that series. I have run a lot of haylage and corn through it, and have rebuilt most of the wear parts and the corn head. It will serve my needs for as long as I use a chopper.

4 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Why not fix the ac?

That would be one solution. Taking the doors off is another, cheaper, and I don't have to find someone who could and would do the A/C repairs.

• Like 4

Just kind of defeats the purpose of a cab and amenities with something fairly simple to repair when it just destroys the interiors being exposed. I believe IH ate about the only ones I’ve seen the cheapskates take the doors off of.

1 minute ago, jass1660 said:

Just kind of defeats the purpose of a cab and amenities with something fairly simple to repair when it just destroys the interiors being exposed. I believe IH ate about the only ones I’ve seen the cheapskates take the doors off of.

The 86 series cab with the doors off and the rear side windows open are decent in the summer. We took the doors off both of the 1586 and the 3588 for the summer. Put over 20,000 hours on the first 1586 we had that way. Fan and all the other switches in the roof never worked when we got it 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

You apparently have never spent much time around a  Northeast dairy farm. There are probably more cab tractors of that era without doors as with. Just the way it is. A/C systems of that era do not survive well on a dairy. It is a temperate climate here so most of the time is comfortable with just some air movement. Most of these tractors on a dairy work year around so the fact they are still working is a testement. 

• Like 6

I’m well aware of treatment on a dairy. The few left here by the junk IH’s for the spreaders and mixers cause their cheap and disposable, no reason a man can’t have some pride and keep things up.

10 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

I’m well aware of treatment on a dairy. The few left here by the junk IH’s for the spreaders and mixers cause their cheap and disposable, no reason a man can’t have some pride and keep things up.

I kinda agree with this. 

I grew up in the 80s farm crisis aftermath. We didn't have much but what we did have we treated like gold. Chances were that nothing new was coming down the pipes in the foreseeable future so you better treat it right because it's gotta last. And having a hogged out cab with no AC wasn't good practice. Especially if you were going to spend all day,everyday for weeks in one. 

Bought a used 7230 Magnum this summer. The AC wasn't quite working right when we got it. I got it fixed so it'll freeze you out now and cleaned up the cab upholstery and it's a very nice environment to work in. ( not that I didn't already know this)

• Like 2

You guys aren’t in NY. It’s just not that hot here. The average tech at the dealership is not as old as my 1066, and why the A/C doesn’t work doesn’t come up on their scanner when they try to plug their laptop into my cab.   20 years ago, yes, there were two local shops that had A/C guys that would come out and fix something, hit them with a recharge and be on their way.  But the better of the two guys got old, and you could tell he did not want to climb up on tractor cabs anymore. Now retired. The other one, so busy, he doesn’t even do A/c work. He’s busy enough just keeping things running, for the guys that could break a wheel barrow.   So we’ve got a few with no functioning or poorly functioning A/c. They look neglected? The black stripe one with 1600 hrs, A/c has not worked in years.  But it’s ok.....because it gets used about 3-5 hrs a year, top access panel has never been off the cab, so it’s staying put.  The one with the black stripe door on it (gasp) I’ve told the dealer, order everything new, everything, didn’t ask a price, just do it when you can, and set it up with the front mount parts like a 86 series has. I remind him yearly. But he’s busy too, and knows A/c isn’t a big priority for me.  He’s an AP Air or whatever it is dealer, told me he can get all the parts, but he won’t let me go ahead and pay for them....because he knows he has no time to put them on. And I’m not installing parts myself, knowing I need him to charge the system and probably trouble shoot any issue that could come up.

I do buy door seals and window gaskets thigh. 

Neglected....

about the same as this 40 year old 892, that I think is about the same design as a 900, maybe not.  I repainted the head a few times. Wore the rolls out. Auger Out. Spout liner out. Replaced it all as needed. Before, needed. I think that lower roll there was a grand.  Auger was a lot more. A/c compressor cost that much? 

32501557-DDD2-4206-B9F5-C314B6A12B02.jpeg

666A56FF-2F39-48D6-9139-279C7055DB7F.jpeg

6D0B01DA-1CD9-4A95-8E7E-CE7EAE6332CD.jpeg

F665A1FF-512A-4B87-8AA0-B68560E4ACFB.jpeg

645121A1-1455-4D0A-8E81-50BB0AAA4CD0.jpeg

• Like 11