Jump to content

Amtrak derailment Montana.


dale560
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is north central Montana. Sparsely populated country. The train runs through our town in North Dakota each morning and night on the way east and west. This train would have stopped 8 hours or so before. 3 people lost their lives in the accident but the bright spot if you read articles is what the community and residents did. They found shelter and safety at the school for other passengers and local people gathered to feed and help the passengers. It is just what they do in these small towns when people need help. Local grocery store and religious colony donated food and I am sure local people donated whatever was needed. 

24AAD1B0-4372-4088-A7D5-7530DD2ECB1B.png

898E8206-369C-459A-B1B2-C783A15E6BD2.png

9013DFE5-3447-4A0F-8CF3-A7158F1B5DAD.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That’s great that the locals stepped up to help out. I would expect nothing less from people in flyover country. My wife and I took that Amtrak on our honeymoon to glacier park ten years ago, and it was an experience I never want to repeat. Delays, non functional facilities, poor service and more left us starting our marriage with the wrong attitude.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So.... the train just layed down & went to sleep, huh? Seems there might be some buggery afoot. Can't wait to hear the details about this one. I do know that high iron through there is well travelled & sees lots of traffic. Also a lot of inspections, too. That doesn't mean a rail couldn't have sheared or they split a switch.

Guess we'll see what happens on the ol' Buffett Central.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thing that isn’t mentioned all the first responders would be volunteers if it’s like our area. Maybe a couple paramedics and some law enforcement would be full time all other ambulance , emt and fire rescue personnel would be volunteers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sad thing is until I read it here. I knew nothing of this derailment. Hardly even mentioned anywhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Sad thing is until I read it here. I knew nothing of this derailment. Hardly even mentioned anywhere. 

...Funny that.....It was on our Evening news ''down under '' last night   (Sunday Evening ..).....with  TV footage of the event

.....Great how the rural /wee towns    folk  get together in a crisis......Can't beat the Rural Folk......where ever they maybe

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

Sad thing is until I read it here. I knew nothing of this derailment. Hardly even mentioned anywhere. 

Didn't happen close to a coast.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Steve C. said:

Didn't happen close to a coast.

About sums it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

Sad thing is until I read it here. I knew nothing of this derailment. Hardly even mentioned anywhere. 

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but here either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get e mail updates from a couple of regional and a couple of national newspapers plus the mail brings us a daily print newspaper.  The derailment was featured in all of them and the one local newscast I watch.   Wherever you go there are people who will help, and wherever you go there are people who won't.  Same as it ever was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sad that people died but glad the locals were able to help the survivors.

Lot of reasons for an accident like that. Absent Minded mentioned something with the rails. being a possibility. Defective wheels/bearings and speed could also be factors. Could be that AMTrak operating in the red (subsidized by the government) is doing proper repairs tot he equipment. Be interesting to learn what the cause was.

 

Rick

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, oldtanker said:

Sad that people died but glad the locals were able to help the survivors.

Lot of reasons for an accident like that. Absent Minded mentioned something with the rails. being a possibility. Defective wheels/bearings and speed could also be factors. Could be that AMTrak operating in the red (subsidized by the government) is doing proper repairs tot he equipment. Be interesting to learn what the cause was.

 

Rick

Working with what little data & pictures there is, equipment failure on the train is a possibility. Looks more like the train picked the switch about 3 miles east of there, just outside of Joplin. This goes against a good many reports that are saying that it looks like it derailed on the switch it's essentially sitting on. That could not be the case. A couple other reports state that it could have derailed going from double track to single track over the aforementioned switch. That's not possible as the Builder was eastbound on a single track going to Seattle/Portland & the two diverging tracks would have been the issue for a WB train. If it did derail going from single to double, that would have also happened at the switch east of there. Speed through that curve would have been a factor if they were screaming through there in notch 8. The curve isn't long or tight. Looks to be about a 50MPH curve. The opposite is more likely as the train would have been in emergency at that time. That & the cars that flopped over would have done so outside the curve & not inside.... & the derailment would have been a lot nastier.

I have yet to take a moment to check the timetable to see if the Builder was running behind. That's one of the areas where the engineers are known to make up for lost time, so they could have been hot footin' it through there when something went awry.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boston AM radio WBZ- 50,000 watts so reaches well into New England, carried the story as well as Fox News. The Wall Street Journal carried the story. Train crashes never get the coverage that plane crashes do and fatal auto crashes at one every 16 minutes in the USA get almost no press unless it's a celebrity.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, New Englander said:

-//*/Boston AM radio WBZ- 50,000 watts so reaches well into New England, carried the story as well as Fox News. The Wall Street Journal carried the story. Train crashes never get the coverage that plane crashes do and fatal auto crashes at one every 16 minutes in the USA get almost no press unless it's a celebrity.

About the only time a train wreck gets big coverage is if A: lots of people die or are seriously injured or B: if there is some type of major chemical spill/explosion like from LP.

38,640 died in the US in car crashes in 2020. There were 299 fatalities world wide in aircraft accidents last year. As Joseph Stalin is reported to have said. "Kill 1 it's a tragedy. Kill a million it's a statistic". Kill 23-24 a day spread out over 50 states for 365 days it become a local tragedy. At the end of a full year? It's a statistic. Kill 100 in a air accident and it's international news and a tragedy.  

Rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, oldtanker said:

About the only time a train wreck gets big coverage is if A: lots of people die or are seriously injured or B: if there is some type of major chemical spill/explosion like from LP.

38,640 died in the US in car crashes in 2020. There were 299 fatalities world wide in aircraft accidents last year. As Joseph Stalin is reported to have said. "Kill 1 it's a tragedy. Kill a million it's a statistic". Kill 23-24 a day spread out over 50 states for 365 days it become a local tragedy. At the end of a full year? It's a statistic. Kill 100 in a air accident and it's international news and a tragedy.  

Rick

Like semi's and cars, Semi hits car 3 people get killed by truck big news.  car hits another car kills 6 no so much news

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...