That's the oldest trick in the book

TractormanMike.mb

What's a practical joke that you can always pull over on some poor unsuspecting individual. Please feel free to share them here.

I'll start with a couple.

when I worked at the farm, they would always hire a group of kids to pick stones in the spring. I would get sent out to drive the loader tractor and oversee the operation. Every year there was always one kid that would try to out do everyone else and brag about picking the biggest stones. Since I was usually the one who plowed the field I knew where the biggest stones were so I would get my victim all worked up by telling him there was a stone that he couldn't lift in another part of the field. We would go back and fourth and finally I would say that I had a $20 bill in my wallet that was his if he could get the big stone in the bucket. When we would finally get to it he would get it on top of the ground and I would drive the tractor close up to it and as soon a he would start to lift the stone I would raise the bucket as high as it would go. It never failed, somebody would fall for it every year.

Another one was back when we still filled upright silos. There was one guy working there that didn't know much about farming and would believe anything you told him. I was unloading wagons into the blower and he came by wondering what to do. I pointed to the harvestore and said we were filling that silo next but all the bolts around the bottom needed to be checked to make sure they were tight. I even went as far to say that the way the silo was engineered if one bolt was even just a little bit loose it would affect the stability of the silo. He went to the shop, grabbed a wrench, I stopped him when he got about a quarter of the way around the silo.

• Haha 4

I always carry a tape measure in my trucks, 16 or 25 footer. years ago i had one get damaged so i cut it off  nice and square and reattatched the little hook thing to the end, The result was the tape started at 7 ft 8 in  instead of zero, very unhandy, but i did have a lot of fun with it. Had a farmer neighbor that  went to many farm auctions with me. On more than a few times a disk, cultivator, etc was measured and i always made sure he had the end that you read the tape on, i held the end with the hook . Many times i heard "that disk sure don't look that big".  Then 1 time i let him hold the wrong end of the tape, no more fun with it.😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Zip tie around drive shaft so it hits floor of pickup.

Harmonica behind engine fan.

Back in the golden olden days, a wire from the coil and under driver seat cover.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

10 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

What's a practical joke that you can always pull over on some poor unsuspecting individual. Please feel free to share them here.

Green food coloring in black coffee… they usually have no idea as long as the cup isn't white

• Like 3

My dad asked my mom to go out and wash the windows on the Case 830 tractor. After getting a bucket with water, rag and towel she got out to the shed and realized the tractor that we have owned since the mid 60s is cabless.  She hasn't lived that one down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Bottle of trans fluid strapped to the frame of car with vacuum hose in it then run up to the carb. Huge white smoke poured out of exhaust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Eat a bunch of asparagus the night before you have to go into the Dr & know you have to give a urinalysis. It will look like an alien peed in the cup (green) & the smell is just awful.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Sandhiller, the zip tie trick sure brings back some memories. One particularly "playful" summer, the guys at the shop I work at were doing that and other pranks nearly daily. 

Pipe dope on the truck door handles was common. 

The best was a younger guy who drug a 15-20 foot tree limb to town. Leaves, branches and all. He jumped out of the truck and said "Something is wrong with my truck. It is making a funny noise ". It had to be a funny sight to see a tree sticking out of the back of his truck going through town.  To this day I don't know if he snagged it while driving over it on the jobsite or someone hooked it up on purpose. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Wi Ih said:

Running a wire from left turn signal to horn 

I did that wiring in someones CB. When he came back to pick up his car, I told him that something wasn't quite right with the radio as it wasn't powering up & bring it back tomorrow after work. He agreed & left. The car got a couple houses away & he turned the blinker on to make a right turn. All I heard was..... PSHHHH PSHHHH PSHHHH & the a holler of, "That rotten such-n-so!". :vD

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Back in high school auto shop, the assistant principal brought his little S10 pickup in for a set of tires.

Just before the beads got seated, each tire got about a 1/2 quart of water added.... This is central MN in late fall/early winter.

It was 2-3 weeks before ol' Kenny came back to the shop.... just couldn't figure it. Some mornings, the tires shook the truck like crazy, other mornings, they're just fine.... seems to be happening more now that it's colder.... drive a couple miles and it goes away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Years ago I worked for a electrician, one summer we had this nerdy high school kid as a helper. He was really into electronic stuff but really knew little about the electrical trade or electricity in general but thought he did.

We used to tell him to go to the truck and get a "wire stretcher" or a "conduit straightener" . Used to tell him that extension cords always had to be completely stretched out because the electricity would not get through if it was still all coiled up. He always believed that and would stretch out a 100' cord to go 10 feet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomH said:

" . Used to tell him that extension cords always had to be completely stretched out because the electricity would not get through if it was still all coiled up. He always believed that and would stretch out a 100' cord to go 10 feet.

Not complete foolery. We have a Miller 211 welder running on 110v at work. Fabricated a nice cart with places to wrap the cord/cables. You have to completely take the power cord off the cart or it will trip the breakers... the cord wrapped in a coil on the steel cart creates a magnetic field that increases the load just enough to exceed the circuit's rating.

I thought they were kidding, but it's a repeatable issue and the explanation makes sense. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

Pipe dope on the truck door handles was common. 

I've heard of that one with everything from grease and anti-seize being used to pull it off.

• Like 1

For the longest time amongst my circle of friends there was a whistler tip that always got stuffed in the exhaust of the poor unsuspecting individual. It was usually at a wedding or some other large gathering where everybody would get a big laugh out of it.

• Like 1

Had a new guy in the shop at work. Convinced him that when he used a can of brake clean he had to return the empty can to the parts department because there was a core charge on the cans. The other techs thought it was hilarious, parts guys thought it was hilarious, new guy didn't think it was that funny. Went on for about 6 weeks

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

my uncle owned the Chevrolet dealership in town in the 60's. His son Bobby would fall for anything. One day the shop foreman sent him out for a "gallon of compression" then he called the parts house and they would send him to the next one and the next one. Same happened when he sent him out for a thermostat for a Corvair, Then he sent him out for some "sky hooks" Same thing. Bobby eventually became a science teacher and got his doctors degree and then got lung cancer and never smoked. He went up on Gold Camp Road in Colorado Springs and killed himself one night

• Sad 2

Creep up to someone pumping a tyre up and shout BANG!

In their ear.

My nine year old was pumping up my bike tyre earlier.

Hilarious 😂 😃 😄 🤣🤣🤣

My  7 year she was weak 🤣🤣

The eldest was not amused.

I'm  gonna pay for it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Asked a trainee emt if they been shown how to start the truck with a crank handle.

Explained because  they emergency  vehicles they have to have a hand crank.

10 mins they were looking for the handle

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Years ago I tied a dead coon to the bumper of a friends truck.  Glued a can of Alpo with a spoon handle sticking out on the bumper as well.

He drove off, bout 20 minutes later he comes tires screeching into the parking lot.  All red faced, he was mad and laughing at the same time.

He couldn't understand why all the people were honking and pointing and gasping as he drove by.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guy would come into the local Deere dealer and steal a doughnut one of the techs would give the secretary money to get at break time. Went on for a while, than one day the tech got a blank doughnut and filled it with gun grease. Guy bit it to it and than made a big commotion. Mechanics said buy your own doughnut you cheap sob.     

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Also remember hearing about packing peanuts dipped in chocolate.   Back in the late 60's early 70's when voltswagon bugs and cbs were all the rage, if you had the cb set to a certain channel and held in the button for the mic it would kill the bugs Dead on the water.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 756puller said:

Guy would come into the local Deere dealer and steal a doughnut one of the techs would give the secretary money to get at break time. Went on for a while, than one day the tech got a blank doughnut and filled it with gun grease. Guy bit it to it and than made a big commotion. Mechanics said buy your own doughnut you cheap sob.     

That might be the funniest thing I’ve ever heard. If it’s not, it’s darn close. 

• Like 1