ok dont u dare laugh:)

beachbumtroy

ok dont laugh but i know nothing about flathead motors, i have a 48 cub c-60 motor and im putting on new wires,cap,rotor,points and condensor, since i dont have a number 1 piston to

look at top dead center, can any of u (please in laymens terms) explain to me step by step how to get the rotor to point to number 1, so i can make sure the wires are going to

the corresponding plugs? and what is the right point gap? i was told 13 but not sure......and any other helpful hints u got.........just did a 6 volt to 12 volt conversion along with the above and im getting fire from the coil to the plug even thou its sounds like it wants to start, its not any help is appreciated, remember im no mechanic i just follw u guys and usaully get

thru it. thnx in advance

take number 1 plug out and have someone roll it over by hand

with your finger over spark plug hole you will feel the compression you can stop rotating when you feel the compression -then line up TDC line with pointer on front pulley 

if it wants to start I expect the wires are on right and you have something else to look at 

ok appreciate that info will try and i can do the compression part and i know where the line is on the pulley, but what do u mean "line up top dead

center line" with pointer on front pulley ? told u im new :)   i can see a line on the crank pulley but i havent seen any pointer yet thnx

I am not recently familiar with your Cub. you have it there take a good look . should be a pointer someplace to line up with the line on the pulley

I went out and looked at my 184 and its the same location as the I&T diagram

flathead engines are the same as any other engine except the valves are located in the engine block. if you are familiar with engines as you lead us to believe don't complicate your troubleshooting because its new to you

cubt.jpg

ok hillman,i told u not to laugh, i was looking on the fan pully for an arrow never even noticed mine lol,but yes im mechanically inclined with direction im not scared to try anything :

thnx for the photo and directions i found my pointer and will let u know what happens next

tdc1.jpg