Farmall M transmission and eventually whole tractor rebuild.

My old M (1944) is in the shop. I finally found a bit of time to work on it. Before I rebuild the engine, I wanted to go through the transmission and rear. I have all the new bearings gathered up (expensive!). I pulled the cover off and pressure washed it out. No broken gears but some, like 4th and 5th are rounded from the years of use. All the bearings are worn. It has a ton of hours on it, judging by the original pedals being worn smooth (got good pedals on now, as originals were bent), but it was still working a full day when I pulled it apart. The seals all leak due to the tired bearings. I noticed tiny chips in the very top of the right bull gear teeth. I am going to mix and match some gears from a parts W6 my friend has for a lower 1st gear and add a new 4th and 5th slider, plus  a bull gear and pinion. Bottom shaft, one gear is able to move so a new shaft may be in order. Hopefully get it done quickly. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to use the gears from my friends w6 to gain a slightly slower 1st. The tractor was completely beat. Of course,  when I opened it up,  the gears were all pitted and rounded off. I don't think they knew what the clutch pedal was for.  So now I am on the hunt for at least a W6 first upper and lower gear plus reverse idler in good shape.  I think I can at least salvage the W6 countershaft to use, as my M one was loose, the gears rocked on it by hand. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 5:26 PM, Frank H said:

I traded the remains of the W6 for a set of really beautiful M gears. Back in business.  No lower 1st, but all in great shape!

Keep us posted!  :) 

• Like 1

Well, I had to do something to get in the "putting together" stage instead of the "taking apart" stage. I pressure washed the housing once more.  I took the nice reverse idler from the new gearset and slid it on my shaft. Fits perfectly.  No slop at all. I was going to get new bushings for it. but i don't see any reason to.  20211013_212418.thumb.jpg.6080bed1042268f0cb0abd3db4db0b1b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad to see you are going back together with it.   I certainly enjoy everyone's project threads!   I learn from the pictures for sure!

Frank I hope you cleaned out the reverse shaft oil passage .  i found all  plugged.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dell said:

Frank I hope you cleaned out the reverse shaft oil passage .  i found all  plugged.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Yeah I had this too on my WD9. Were barely visible anymore

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 2:23 AM, B.B. said:

Hard to believe that tractor is 77 years old.   

Yeah....you would think that those ""M"  tractors would last a bit longer.....:rolleyes:

..in reality, what Frank is doing...and as he is going about the 'overhaul'' ...the  proper way...that ""M"'  will last another  25 years.....In fact the 'deal '' that will kill off these old ''girls'   ...would be some decree concerning its age .....and tyrants  like Frank ( :))...continuing  to put the the planet at risk....because  he burns  feul  derived from the Earth's bowels....and probably owns a cow...another  black mark against him....:mellow:

..like the BS   going on in the Ports   of  California...in respect of vehicle emmisions.....

Mike

(its   all good, Frank..we have two old running "M's"     at home..)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frank H said:

I guess I will have to get custom pistons made, make my own alcohol and drill out the main jet to run 'er on high quality Pennsylvania corn squeezins if the greenies ban gasoline. 

Frank you must live down copperhead road lol 

Except I think they burnt it in a a big black dodge not a red farmall lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/17/2021 at 8:14 AM, B.B. said:

Frank you must live down copperhead road lol 

Except I think they burnt it in a a big black dodge not a red farmall lol 

I may not agree with Steve Earle politically but he made some great music!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Frank H said:

I may not agree with Steve Earle politically but he made some great music!

LOL   I have no idea what his politics were, but I do enjoy copperhead road :)

• Like 1

I have a 1941 H and it had some either aluminum or pot metal seal holders on the counter shaft and input shaft.

Those seal holders had expanded to the point that a new seal would not stay in them.

I ended up finding the cast iron ones at a junk yard and replacing them both.

Those worked fine.

Has anyone else had this problem?