86 Series Loader Questions

leeave96

What is the typical IH loader model number installed on an 86 series tractor, ie 886, 986, 1086?  Are these suitable for lifting around 4x5 round bales or sacks of fertilizer?  What is the typical lift capacity, height and bucket width?  How do the front ends hold up on the 86 series with a loader?  I assume the loader is plumbed-into the rear remotes?  Can you rig up a 3rd function?  Would these loaders be quick attach and if so, are they easy enough to remove and reattach?  How are the 86 series tractors as loader tractors, good or bad?

Any sage info is much appreciated!

2350/2450 IH Mount-O-Matic. 

Plenty of lift capacity for all of those tasks.

Mount-O matic are all quick attach.

Yes rear remotes.

My 186 and the 2350 it had when I got it. I have lifted up a 32' hemlock log . I am going to put rims on it and the tires will be dry then and I'll put lots of rear weights on then . I plan to add a joystick to it 

IMG_20210806_165120636.jpg

IMG_20210806_165125458.jpg

IMG_20210806_165115163.jpg

• Like 1

On my 5250 I have a joystick and then run the bale grabber off the remotes.  There are 3rd function kits out there but operating something like this off the remote lever works great for me.

If it's in the budget you may want to look into a new Westendorf loader rather than trying to deal with an old clapped out IH 2350/2450/2355/2455 loader.

How the tractor holds up to loader use depends entirely on what occupies the seat. You have to remember you are not driving a bulldozer, excavator, battle tank, demolition derby car, etc..

The 86 series with open center hydraulics are fairly easy to add "power beyond" to. Exact details are in other posts on this site but it involves pulling pressure from the "MCV supercharge line."

56 minutes ago, IHC5488 said:

2455 will fit as well.  Have to look in the book to see how high they can reach.

IMG_20190316_084300550_HDR.thumb.jpg.1c86c5ec508ba75ca7247f15f6a64766.jpg

2455 lift height is 16 ft 1 inch. Boy that tractor looks familiar. 😉

• Haha 1

I have the 2350 loader on my 1086….. plenty of lift with some to spare for the biggest round bales… the tractor handles it well and steers well when loaded .. works nicely for me..

11 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

2455 will fit as well.  Have to look in the book to see how high they can reach.

IMG_20190316_084300550_HDR.thumb.jpg.1c86c5ec508ba75ca7247f15f6a64766.jpg

Those 24 series loaders just look Sooooo HUGE.  How is the visibility with all of that steel up high like that?

8 hours ago, Mr. Plow said:

Those 24 series loaders just look Sooooo HUGE.  How is the visibility with all of that steel up high like that?

Here’s a pic from the seat.

7B62636D-0FFC-49E1-93F8-D071F0BD74CE.jpeg

• Like 5

You definitely know it's there.  If you have a need for the height it will get things up there!

Sharp looking rig BTW!!!!

• Like 1

Devils advocate.....  DON'T.   IMHO, the 86 series are the worst loader tractors in the world.   Already have a reputation for hard shifting, they are hard to see out of, a bit awkward.   Growing up we had a 1066 with a Westendorf WL-44 on it (wonderful loader, BTW).   Dad used it to feed cows every day, even dug out water lines (huge hole!) one time.  When we got the 1486 with nice A/C we decided to move the loader over.   Modified the brackets to work on the 86 (the loader has to sit 9-10" further forward to clear the cab).

Installed it.  Noticed right away that you couldn't see anything.   Bucket was almost invisible on the ground - between the dash, cab, loader posts.  (See picture attached above!)  Can't really say why, but it was much worse than the 66 with the Hiniker cab.     It was awkward to use, to shift back & forth, and those tiny hydraulic levers....   And almost impossible to scrap the manure w/o digging or riding over.   2 weeks, and the loader went back on the 1066.    Never went back on the 1486, except for a couple days when the 66 was down.

I've used loaders on many different tractors, from a old Allis WD, a 400 with trip bucket, Ford 800, Oliver, IH, up to my 9030 BiDi;  the 1486 was the worst.   I'm sure others would disagree.....but thats fine.   JME.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

Devils advocate.....  DON'T.   IMHO, the 86 series are the worst loader tractors in the world.   Already have a reputation for hard shifting, they are hard to see out of, a bit awkward.   Growing up we had a 1066 with a Westendorf WL-44 on it (wonderful loader, BTW).   Dad used it to feed cows every day, even dug out water lines (huge hole!) one time.  When we got the 1486 with nice A/C we decided to move the loader over.   Modified the brackets to work on the 86 (the loader has to sit 9-10" further forward to clear the cab).

Installed it.  Noticed right away that you couldn't see anything.   Bucket was almost invisible on the ground - between the dash, cab, loader posts.  (See picture attached above!)  Can't really say why, but it was much worse than the 66 with the Hiniker cab.     It was awkward to use, to shift back & forth, and those tiny hydraulic levers....   And almost impossible to scrap the manure w/o digging or riding over.   2 weeks, and the loader went back on the 1066.    Never went back on the 1486, except for a couple days when the 66 was down.

I've used loaders on many different tractors, from a old Allis WD, a 400 with trip bucket, Ford 800, Oliver, IH, up to my 9030 BiDi;  the 1486 was the worst.   I'm sure others would disagree.....but thats fine.   JME.

I haven't run an 86 with a loader, but I don't think I'd ever want to for the exact reasons you said. Maybe in a pinch, but not consistently. I actually tend to like a Deere synchro range trans for loader work (not considering more modern shuttle shift tractors)... I know... burn me at the stake. lol.

I personally would take an 86 loader tractor over a 66 seven days a week and twice on Sunday. I never had any issues shifting any of the 1586 we had . We have a 1066 hydro and I have my own 186 and I like it. We used to have two 5140 maxxums mfd and loaders and I guarantee that only the MFD is nicer on the maxxum . The 186 never gives me a blinking dash code while not wanting to move .....

• Like 2

Have a couple dual 3100s on 1086s and they are great loaders. One is hooked into the remotes and one uses the loader valve that came with the loader. 

I personally love the 86 series on a loader.  You can shift and run the hydraulics at the same time which is super handy. I handle thousands of round bales a year with them and every other loader tractor I use feels awkward. With the short hood I feel visibility is much better than a 66 series and the left hand shifting and vastly better cab is icing on the cake. 

I wish the hydraulics were as snappy as my 88s at low rpm but every other aspect is way better about the 86 for loader work. 

5E557F8F-3B80-4ABC-832F-4C5F880226BB.thumb.jpeg.28792c950f0a9225a51b0739837bedc9.jpegAF7512D0-F168-4823-AF96-24352FA62A9B.thumb.jpeg.ba7d13cbd71a7c79cdbdc132614fbbc5.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ZG6E said:

Have a couple dual 3100s on 1086s and they are great loaders. One is hooked into the remotes and one uses the loader valve that came with the loader. 

I personally love the 86 series on a loader.  You can shift and run the hydraulics at the same time which is super handy. I handle thousands of round bales a year with them and every other loader tractor I use feels awkward. With the short hood I feel visibility is much better than a 66 series and the left hand shifting and vastly better cab is icing on the cake. 

THis is good to hear. 

I also took the 3100 that was on my 1486 when I bought it. 

Never put it on cuz I didn't need it. 

I also likes the way the 86 shifts. Just like running the tractor period. 

May have to get the DuAl put on.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sandhiller said:

THis is good to hear. 

I also took the 3100 that was on my 1486 when I bought it. 

Never put it on cuz I didn't need it. 

I also likes the way the 86 shifts. Just like running the tractor period. 

May have to get the DuAl put on.

I got a DuAL3100 on smaller Hydro 70,its been a great loader,it will lift far more then my skidloader which lifts more then its own 2300lb rated lift.Just gotta be careful because it's for a large frame tractor,it came off a H186.I think it would be great on a bigger tractor 

• Like 1

We run a 2350 on our 966. Plenty of lifting power and the tractor handles the load well.

We run a 2350 loader on a 1981 986 with the factory fwa axle. There is a trick to getting them to shift well that was talked about before that makes a world of difference. We also found out that changing out the hi-lo shift arm that goes through the transmission cover with a upgraded one from a&i helps a lot also. We use our 986 to pack silage with so fwa is a must. As far as seeing the bucket it isn't to bad. The biggest issue is the turning radius as our 2+2s will turn sharper.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 12:03 PM, ZG6E said:

I wish the hydraulics were as snappy as my 88s at low rpm but every other aspect is way better about the 86 for loader work. 

5E557F8F-3B80-4ABC-832F-4C5F880226BB.thumb.jpeg.28792c950f0a9225a51b0739837bedc9.jpegAF7512D0-F168-4823-AF96-24352FA62A9B.thumb.jpeg.ba7d13cbd71a7c79cdbdc132614fbbc5.jpeg

Nice looking loader tractors there! Dad put the 17 gpm pump in the 1486 within a year of buying it. The loader cycles pretty quick like that. Big difference over the 12. 

I'll take the 86 over a 66 or older for a loader tractor too any day. We got a 2350 on the 1486 and hydro 100 and an allied on the 766. I think visibility is better from the 86. When we would load semis with round bales we always loaded with 2. Dad was in the 1486 and I was in the 766. Bales were set out on each side, same on both sides. I would always be 4 bales behind him at the end. Didn't matter if we switched tractors, the 1486 always was faster. And I don't find that the shifting is terrible and wears things out sooner. We just replaced all the linkages and updated the hi-lo shift lever this year. It only had 14000 hours on that stuff. And about 6000 on the clutch and pressure plate so far. That tractor has round baled every year for 15 years now here, with no kicker so backing up every bale, and it was the main loader tractor till few years ago. Lots of clutching and shifting. It probably loaded 1500-2000 bales a year then fed them out every day all winter.

So, I guess you could say I have no problem with a 86 series tractor wearing a loader lol

• Like 1