Jump to content

Wedge Lock Wheels 1066 vs 1086


Recommended Posts

1066 and 1086 are not interchangeable 

A wedge lock cast center won't work for a clamp type and vice versa. Totally different shapes , no holes for the clamp bolts etc 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all....1086's have 3.5" axles. 1066's have 3.25" axles. Wheels from a 1086 will not fit a 1066 and vice versa.

Secondly, if your 1066 has clamp style wheels, the wedge lock wheels from a 1066 (or any tractor with 3.25" axles) will fit just fine.

....and the same is true of a 1086....although I'm pretty sure no 1086 came from the factory with clamp style wheels, but many things can and have been changed over the last 40+ years.

Travis

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good info.  Will the same Wedge Lock cast center for a 38” wheel from a 1086 work on a 1066?  Or does a Wedge Lock cast center have to be specific for a 3.25” axle or specific to a 3.5” axle?  My 1066 has light weight clamp on cast centers (probably off a 756?) & I would like to put heavy-original cast centers & all I can find at a reasonable price is 1086 Wedge Lock cast centers.  Thanks, Jonathan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ComancheStarFarms said:

Good info.  Will the same Wedge Lock cast center for a 38” wheel from a 1086 work on a 1066?  Or does a Wedge Lock cast center have to be specific for a 3.25” axle or specific to a 3.5” axle?  My 1066 has light weight clamp on cast centers (probably off a 756?) & I would like to put heavy-original cast centers & all I can find at a reasonable price is 1086 Wedge Lock cast centers.  Thanks, Jonathan 

They are size specific 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No...a cast center that fits a 1086 will no fit a 1066 because they have different size axles. 

If you want different cast centers for your 1066 you will have to find them off of a tractor that has the same 3.25" axle.  

318261146_IHaxlesizechart.thumb.jpg.940da973849ef525413becde9a44ff23.jpg

Travis

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Sparky said:

No...a cast center that fits a 1086 will no fit a 1066 because they have different size axles. 

If you want different cast centers for your 1066 you will have to find them off of a tractor that has the same 3.25" axle.  

318261146_IHaxlesizechart.thumb.jpg.940da973849ef525413becde9a44ff23.jpg

Travis

986 shares the axle diameter with 1066 and look like 1086 centers 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Sparky said:

No.

Travis

Sure you can. He said it wouldn't work well, which is true, but it can be done.

All you need to do is jam a 1/4" piece of steel between the axle and the wedges to take up the slack. Maybe even get fancy and beat it to shape so it fits the axle nice and round like... She'll have a bit of a "whoop-dee-doo" as you go down the road, especially if both wheels get together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

If one had access to wire EDM, you could burn both profiles and make a shim. Probably easier to just find the correct center.

I would be nervous of a shim on the hub to axle fitment and the wedges both. 1/8" needed everywhere to adapt. I have shimmed a wedge once 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, bitty said:

I would be nervous of a shim on the hub to axle fitment and the wedges both. 1/8" needed everywhere to adapt. I have shimmed a wedge once 

Bitty, that was mostly just a joke. It would be possible but way more work and expense than it would be worth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, bitty said:

I would be nervous of a shim on the hub to axle fitment and the wedges both. 1/8" needed everywhere to adapt. I have shimmed a wedge once 

No doubt it's not the "right" way to do it, or even a "good" way. This isn't even the sketchiest thing I've seen done.

The wedges on our 1066 are shimmed but only with a beer can or roof flashing. They were almost tight together before now they're out near the edge of the hub, but they STILL slide on the axle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Bitty, that was mostly just a joke. It would be possible but way more work and expense than it would be worth.

I would roll a piece of 1/8" to fit first 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The wheel I saw that was 'converted' used pieces of 3 inch pipe cut to make two shims for the wheel. It looked bad but actually worked. 

I recommend using the correct wheel.

Thx-Ace 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Farmers are creative.   I know a guy who had a farmall 300 with bad tires.  And had a MF combine with good drives.       He Cut the drive hubs off had a hole drilled in them to fit the axle and welded them on.   20+ years ago 

ps not sure on combine size

Edited by dannyredfan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a neighbor who made    A-dapt-her plates out of rusted 3/8 steel, with two sets of holes, completely cut to fit utilizing only a torch, to put a set of good 15.5-38 wheels onto a tractor where they were never meant to be. I know he use to go down the road with it, maybe 12mph tops, and they looked to be running pretty true. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...