1971 1210 Pickup

nepoweshiekfarmalls

On 9/27/2023 at 9:38 PM, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Did notice the inner fender liners where the hinges bolt on are really rotted out.

Since the inner fenders need to be repaired or replaced, you may want to pull the whole front clip. You might have some cowl vent box rot hiding under the outer fenders.

DSC01833.JPG

DSC01834.JPG

• Like 1

There’s a truck almost identical to yours Aaron, near me. Tried buying it several times, no go!! It was sold new in Waterloo Illinois from Liefer’s garage. Story was that it was ordered in the green with white roof. Sat on the lot for a year or two, so they painted it red, sold immediately 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TRAVELETTE said:

Since the inner fenders need to be repaired or replaced, you may want to pull the whole front clip. You might have some cowl vent box rot hiding under the outer fenders.

I think that will be necessary... The sheetmetal looks good on the outside. But fenderwell and cowl rot is very evident.  Can see clear through the cowl behind the glovebox door!  But, the battery tray is excellent.....

1 hour ago, Alan Dinan said:

There’s a truck almost identical to yours Aaron, near me. Tried buying it several times, no go!! It was sold new in Waterloo Illinois from Liefer’s garage. Story was that it was ordered in the green with white roof. Sat on the lot for a year or two, so they painted it red, sold immediately 

I don't hate the color, but I have my heart set on repainting it blue.  This truck is my inspiration....

20220624_153438.thumb.jpg.796c1f5560378fbc1ac1f83ce5efee6f.jpg

20220624_152622.thumb.jpg.9ace20c9347325b1a589e45b9d3a1e79.jpg

For now, get it back on the road, get the kinks out of it and enjoy it awhile.  Before I blow it apart for bodywork and paint.

• Like 2

Finally installed the new points this evening.   Hooked up a remote fuel system to the carburetor.  Needle and seat must have been stuck open, because fuel bubbled out the carburetor.   Tapped on the front cover until they closed and the flow stopped.  Could not get the carburetor to draw fuel, but the engine would run on carburetor cleaner.  Sounded nice to hear the old v8 bark to life!  It ran until the spray was gone, but I could not get from the key to the carburetor fast enough to keep it running.  Guess I need a remote start trigger!  Time  to clean the carburetor next.  Nice to know the 304 starts easily.  Progress!

• Like 1

I ordered a genuine Holley overhaul kit for the carburetor.   I received a wooden crate (smashed horribly) with an 11,000 pound winch!  As much as I want to keep it, better contact Amazon. Now I have to wait for another kit to be shipped....20231018_151053.thumb.jpg.e1782ea96d6fe57ccdde0c3bf4f02f41.jpg

20231018_151111.thumb.jpg.40163f6afcd62e9d9c7a1d24e57332eb.jpg