Cub Chronology

vtfireman85

Not to step on the other thread, whats the chronology of cub sheet metal, seems to me it was the screen grill, like mine, then the stamped sheet metal one resembling a 100 series tractor.. sorta. Then square nose but still red? When did they become yellow? 
what are the years in question? Any notable changes to them? 

Original screen grille 1947-1954
Red 11-bar grille 1955-1956
White 11-bar grille 1957-1958
White 4-bar grille 1959-1963
All red square hood 1963-1964
Red body white square hood 1964 (only approx 300 made)
Yellow body white square hood 1964-1978
All red square hood 1979, though some as early as 1977 have the all red paint job, supposed to be factory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Matt,

interesting that  you mention red body white hood 1964.....Has anybody found production numbers and /or the reason they were produced in this colour scheme????? .... we have one here in NZ and would like to know the story behind this if possible.

Any info greatly appreciated,

thanks,

Heath, NZ

• Like 1

Heath,

It's something that comes up from time to time at the Farmall Cub forum. They have the details pretty well fleshed out now.

The first square hood Cubs were all red and 6V. IH switched them over to a 12V system in late 1964 and at the same time started putting white hoods on them. Serial range 224401-224703. I suspect the white hoods were because IH had already decided to paint them yellow and white the next year, were already prepping for 1965 production, and ran out of red hoods to finish out the 1964 production. In fact that is probably why they also got 12V electrical systems...

In 1965 they became known as "International" Cubs and had yellow bodies instead of red.

• Thanks 2

Matt,

Thanks very much for the information.....a while back I did look on the cub forum and briefly chatted with a couple guys on there, but I must go back and catch up.

our tractor has slightly different decals being an export machine but from memory it is labeled as a “McCormick International Farmall cub “  I’m away from home for about a week so I will confirm when I get home again .

From memory our serial is    224757J.....a little later than your range but definitely red body , white hood and 12V .

Thanks for all your input, much appreciated,

Heath , NZ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 4:18 PM, IHKIWI said:

Just remembered I had a couple pics on my phone IMG_1808.thumb.JPG.79f906446cb25e49345d078dd8822f2b.JPGIMG_1809.thumb.JPG.0e06ca5607e4ba9991c864bf0e46902f.JPG

I have this tractor [red/white] but it is a 1968.  Yes it does have yellow under the red but it came that way new.  They say it could have been ordered that way either for a dealer display or customer request.  Also have a 1950 white demo and a hood off another . Both of these are repainted red.  All this happened by accident as they were acquired to do work with not show or collect.

• Thanks 1

Very interesting, thanks for the information.

Which style of decals do you have ????.....Farmall or International???

would you mind sharing your serial number and maybe a picture or two?..

Id also Like to know if all of these red/white cubs had the low mount exhaust, or was that standard at that time for cub??

The previous owner of our tractor believed there were 3 like this that came to NZ but I’ve never seen the others so cannot confirm this 

Thanks for sharing,

Heath,NZ

• Like 1