986 power

ky966boy

Well I’m not really pleased with the power of the 986 . It did fine in hay but I put the batwing on it and it sure ain’t a 14 I may twist the screw a little or start looking for turbo. I’m probably just spoiled by 1486.We used to have a 3688 and I thought it was powerful aren’t they the same tractor.

I picked up a 986 this year and have been thoroughly impressed with its lugging/power ability.  Its not completely fair to compare it to a 14 as a 14 is about 50% more power.  No wonder there is a noticeable difference.  

Put a turbo on the 9 and you will essentially have a 14.  Same engine in both (don't know about piston oil cooler jets.)  Be careful you don't tear up everything else after the engine on the 9 though.

take it to a dealer on put it on the dyno. if its down on power find out why if its where it should be turn it up no more than 10% and leave it 

just my 2 cents

1 hour ago, Siefring Red Farmer said:

I picked up a 986 this year and have been thoroughly impressed with its lugging/power ability.  Its not completely fair to compare it to a 14 as a 14 is about 50% more power.  No wonder there is a noticeable difference.  

Put a turbo on the 9 and you will essentially have a 14.  Same engine in both (don't know about piston oil cooler jets.)  Be careful you don't tear up everything else after the engine on the 9 though.

5 hours ago, Tmtbob said:

986 is about 10 horse less than a 3688. Wouldn’t think 10hp would make much difference 

How did the 3688 gain the hp ,pump setting?

1 hour ago, Siefring Red Farmer said:

Your probably right I didn’t really think about it being 50% less .She should feel weak compared to a 14 . 

Fixed up our 986 a few years back. Got the shifters right which is why I like it. Decided to paint it, the Rops roof was rusted out and couldn't stop there lol. Rake and bale with it, enough power for that it's a '76. 

20210916_175140.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, IHRedDrive said:

Fixed up our 986 a few years back. Got the shifters right which is why I like it. Decided to paint it, the Rops roof was rusted out and couldn't stop there lol. Rake and bale with it, enough power for that it's a '76. 

20210916_175140.jpg

My roof is rusty I thought I could just paint it but I’ll be like you and can’t stop .I doubt if mine will look as good as yours.

C81F3EF9-D113-44DA-B2C7-F2497E1B93A9.jpeg

• Like 3

Put a turbo on 986 a few years for dad but it only sees the chisel maybe once a year for 5 acres and the disc to touch up fields and the grain cart in the fall.  He was complaining this summer not enough fuel (it was fine) but I turned it up one turn and told him no more.

0B689431-3902-49D1-BFAF-FB61D2C1A15B.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ky966boy said:

My roof is rusty I thought I could just paint it but I’ll be like you and can’t stop .I doubt if mine will look as good as yours.

C81F3EF9-D113-44DA-B2C7-F2497E1B93A9.jpeg

Sweet 986 right there. Those roofs took some weather and you've  got a bank full of front weights. Ahead of me already!

Here is my 986 hooked to the planter this past spring.  I ran this planter with an 885 previously.  That tractor was struggling with it the entire time.  The 9 was a nice update to say the least

986 Planting.jpg

• Like 5

pump specs are nearly identical between the 986 and the 3688. Not sure how the hp went from 105 to 110, unless most 9's actually put out 110? Many times factory ratings are just that, a rating, and most diesel tractors I've been around on dynos (especially turbocharged) slightly exceed the factory rating, or Neb test result. 

• Thanks 2

I was never impressed with a 986's power seems they are only good for light work baling , planting, drilling things of that nature

5 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

I was never impressed with a 986's power seems they are only good for light work baling , planting, drilling things of that nature

That maybe the case that’s all I do anyway. I maybe spoiled by the 14 it’s a demon wish I had a couple more.

• Like 1

There are plenty of turbo manifolds-complete setups in wrecking yards around the country.    Set the fuel at 125 horse, You will not be disappointed with the results. And that is very safe power for the 986.    P.S.  I have seen 966s and 986s run reliably in the field at 140-150 hp for years. 

There are differents heads  between a non turboed and a turboed engine as well . High and Low swirl heads .

We use to have a bunch of 986s had one with a m&w turbo setup hand a couple more with 10/1486 turbo setups and yes they ran better than the stock setups we had running side by side to me it was worth the money and work but that's just me, I may have enough stuff to get a setup started laying around here

• 2 weeks later...

If you think a 986 seems anemic you should drive a 3388 for a day. They may have 130hp but they dump it to the ground so fast, needless to say we like our three 3588s better they are pushing 190hp now but even the stock one was still better than the 3388 at the time.

On 9/19/2021 at 3:06 AM, welkerfarmsfan said:

is that one of like 80 red power IH tractors made for the red power days in i think the seventies 

This is an original Red Power version.  I purchased it this spring off the original owner.

I'd be interested to know what it would dyno at. My 986 seemed anemic compared to my 1086 and used alot more fuel doing the same job it seemed. Last year I noticed my 1486 had trouble pulling my baler up large hills in road gear. Finally the head of pump started leaking and I sent it off. They sent it back 10% over stock, and man it woke it up. Funny how we run something every day and I'm guessing it was down 30-40% on power before I noticed it.  I'd say your 14 spoiled you. 

• Like 1

I plan to put a turbo set up on my 986.  A 1486 will run circles around a stock 9.    

986 was my bucket list tractor so I love mine but it's getting the turbo setup and pump from a 1586 so it will have a little more power.