1460 hydro and motor

Royboy1066

I just had mine out and rebuilt this winter. Yes there is Sunstrand and Eaton, Eaton is in later model years. There is also differences in whether it is a 2 speed and whether it is RWA or not.  A crane or hoist to get above it is preferred. we did not remove side sheet metal, we used crane on service truck and boomed it out the top, it is tight but it will fit. Other unit dropped right out the bottom and slid out. Used a transmission jack. 

Its no fun , lots of sheet metal to remove plus all the steel lines and hoses make sure you change out the splined coupler on the drive end if it worn My 1460 uses  an eaton hydrostat system

1 minute ago, ChrisNY said:

I just had mine out and rebuilt this winter. Yes there is Sunstrand and Eaton, Eaton is in later model years. There is also differences in whether it is a 2 speed and whether it is RWA or not.  A crane or hoist to get above it is preferred. we did not remove side sheet metal, we used crane on service truck and boomed it out the top, it is tight but it will fit. Other unit dropped right out the bottom and slid out. Used a transmission jack. 

Maybe you can do it on a sunstand pump but No-way on an eaton to remove it too close to the side sheet

Did a hydro on a 2388 last Saturday, just threw a chain around the unloader tube and used a racheting chain hoist to lower it down. Didn't have to take off the side sheet which I didn't feel like doing any ways. It's a 7/16th bolt that goes in the center of the hydro to put a lifting eyelet on it.

9 minutes ago, ksfarmdude said:

Maybe you can do it on a sunstand pump but No-way on an eaton to remove it too close to the side sheet

I beg to differ. Mine is a Eaton. Just loosen the top and it slides out

58028BA0-508E-48BD-877C-7437D2BD934B.jpeg

570C8F01-A5B0-415D-B5BB-11558946F5D1.jpeg

• Like 2

Ok Thanks guys ,I have the sheetmetal off ,the one on mine is Eaton, I have a used sunshield to put on it ,both are for 4 wd  mine isn't 2 speed  ,somewhere I got the idea that 2 speed was only available on 1480 .Now my next problem, the motor to change rpm on my cylinder stopped working so I took it out and checked it and motor works good both direction ,so I check rocker switch in cab ,with key on engine  off ,power to switch but none coming out either direction, tried it with cylinder engage switch off and on but nothing running, am I proceeding correctly in diagnosis or do things need to be running, I hope I didn't make this confusing. Thanks again for the help!

Edited by Royboy1066
More info

34 minutes ago, Royboy1066 said:

I heard people use the auger to lift from ,that was my plan there ,you make it look easy maybe I should bring my machine there !

Still gotta get it to the ground sounds kind of redundant using the auger

4 hours ago, Royboy1066 said:

Ok Thanks guys ,I have the sheetmetal off ,the one on mine is Eaton, I have a used sunshield to put on it ,both are for 4 wd  mine isn't 2 speed  ,somewhere I got the idea that 2 speed was only available on 1480 .Now my next problem, the motor to change rpm on my cylinder stopped working so I took it out and checked it and motor works good both direction ,so I check rocker switch in cab ,with key on engine  off ,power to switch but none coming out either direction, tried it with cylinder engage switch off and on but nothing running, am I proceeding correctly in diagnosis or do things need to be running, I hope I didn't make this confusing. Thanks again for the help!

You need matching motor and pump makes. They made the pipes different to keep both types together. The general consensus is if pump needs work so does motor. I have replaced driveshafts in lots of pumps and left motor alone though. Again Eaton pump and motor  together or sundstrand units together. The motors mount at different angles if single speed to keep everything right.

5 hours ago, ChrisNY said:

I beg to differ. Mine is a Eaton. Just loosen the top and it slides out

58028BA0-508E-48BD-877C-7437D2BD934B.jpeg

570C8F01-A5B0-415D-B5BB-11558946F5D1.jpeg

Nice service truck Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Royboy1066 said:

Now my next problem, the motor to change rpm on my cylinder stopped working so I took it out and checked it and motor works good both direction ,so I check rocker switch in cab ,with key on engine  off ,power to switch but none coming out either direction, tried it with cylinder engage switch off and on but nothing running, am I proceeding correctly in diagnosis or do things need to be running, I hope I didn't make this confusing. Thanks again for the help!

Check the limit switches. They are located under the big chain sprocket that the adjuster motor drives. Not at all unusual for a wire to fall off. Had it happen this harvest on mine. 

• Like 1

Greaseable PTO bearing? the pto shaft bearing is internal and runs in hytran inside the gear case  Do you mean greaseable shaft coupler maybe? I replaced mine with the new style hub that has a grease zerk