Has anyone used a IH 4186 4wd tractor and what did ya like about that model?

U-C

There is a used International 4186 4WD tractor for sale at the local auction next month and was wondering if anyone had any exp on them the good and bad? I haven't looked at it in person yet but will do that one of the next view days.  

I don't have any experience with one but they are certainly unique. Not many around here for sure

If I found one cheap enough I would consider buying one.  They couldn't have made very many of them.  I don't know if they made fewer 4156s or 4186s.  That tractor went about two series too long.  I guess they did have the advantage of a PTO over their articulated cousins.  

44 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

don't theyb have crab steering

Yes crab steer just like a 4100 ,4156 ,4166+ 4186 

The dealership I worked at sold quite a few of the 4166 &4186, even a few 4100's before I worked there. Never really ran one to much. I did demo a 4186 with a 710 six bottom plow and it seemed to handle it good. Customer eventually bought tractor and plow. Only troubles seem to be steering related, after using crab steering they would not go back to normal steering without dogtracking a little. Seem to be a very fine adjustment. Think they had a DT436 if I remember right. Often wondered if anyone ever put a TA in one, especially with the heavy duty ones that are offered now. They came with TA delete just like a 1486 could be order without. Over all I would rate them as a good to very good tractor for small horse power four wheel drive😁

• Like 2

The 41XX IH models technically did not have "crab" steer. I think the term crab steering actually is when both front and rear axles turn the same direction that is both turn to the left or the right at the same time.  Case 1200 series did that. The 41XX have what IH called coordinated 4 wheel steering. Front and rear axles turned opposite directions.  Could really turn tight.  Operator could select front axle steering only or 4wheel coordinated. And yes the linkage was a weak point and could bend and not return to straight ahead position.  Rollie

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rollie said:

The 41XX IH models technically did not have "crab" steer. I think the term crab steering actually is when both front and rear axles turn the same direction that is both turn to the left or the right at the same time.  Case 1200 series did that. The 41XX have what IH called coordinated 4 wheel steering. Front and rear axles turned opposite directions.  Could really turn tight.  Operator could select front axle steering only or 4wheel coordinated. And yes the linkage was a weak point and could bend and not return to straight ahead position.  Rollie

Rollie hit the nail on the head!   They have four wheel steering.   It can be switched to two wheel steering where only the front turn.   We have one,   Haven’t used it much lately.    Needs an MCV pump at the moment.  

A477DE15-76B9-4DC8-8E17-3A13907ADCC1.jpeg

DF669571-21D2-4490-A54A-5630176076C9.jpeg

F49DFCC2-F322-4DE7-AAF3-12077628195D.jpeg

• Like 4

Spent many hours in a 4166. What are you wanting to do with it?

The Pro's: Good in the mud, Available with PTO, Good power(DT436)

The Cons: Probably the most uncomfortable roughest riding tractors ever built, parts availability is limited, drop box parts were unavailable 25+ years ago(and that is a common problem in these),  cab and operator layout is crude at best, steering problems are common if you want to use the coordinated steering(we always just left ours in front steer)

If you want one for collection or plow days or something they are cool, if you want to run one every day I would not recommend it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, U-C said:

There is a used International 4186 4WD tractor for sale at the local auction next month and was wondering if anyone had any exp on them the good and bad? I haven't looked at it in person yet but will do that one of the next view days.  

I'll probably make a lot of people mad here but from what I saw around where I live quite a few got parked due to issues including engine problems.  As someone else said they would be OK for a show or an event but I would not recommend one to do much farm work.  By the way at least the 66 and 86 could be outfitted with PTO.  A one time neighbor used a 4166 to pull a liquid manure spreader. 

Used to be a 4186 in the area here. Was the exact same as our 4166 except it had a/c. Like other's have said the rear steering can be troublesome. Ours has gone through a couple of the linkages. In 4 wheel it follows perfect but 2 wheel I can't get get it to return to center. For all we do with it we live with it. One thing I found is to run it in 2 wheel steer till the oil warms up. Seems like in the cold weather is when we would have troubles if trying to use 4 wheel steer from start up. We have blade on ours for pushing snow, and that it does awesome. I like that little tractor. We pulled our 28 foot air seeder with it for a few years and it handled it just fine. Now it just does what it needs to throughout the year and pushes snow and skids logs all winter. I wouldn't want to farm with one as my main 4wd but I also wouldn't be without it. Such a handy tractor and will go anywhere when it is wet. It seems to just float and still pull. I think it seems to do better in the wet ground than our 9130. I think it is balanced just right

2 hours ago, db1486 said:

Used to be a 4186 in the area here. Was the exact same as our 4166 except it had a/c. Like other's have said the rear steering can be troublesome. Ours has gone through a couple of the linkages. In 4 wheel it follows perfect but 2 wheel I can't get get it to return to center. For all we do with it we live with it. One thing I found is to run it in 2 wheel steer till the oil warms up. Seems like in the cold weather is when we would have troubles if trying to use 4 wheel steer from start up. We have blade on ours for pushing snow, and that it does awesome. I like that little tractor. We pulled our 28 foot air seeder with it for a few years and it handled it just fine. Now it just does what it needs to throughout the year and pushes snow and skids logs all winter. I wouldn't want to farm with one as my main 4wd but I also wouldn't be without it. Such a handy tractor and will go anywhere when it is wet. It seems to just float and still pull. I think it seems to do better in the wet ground than our 9130. I think it is balanced just right

They are great mudders!

1 hour ago, ChrisNY said:

They are great mudders!

They guy we bought it from had it for that reason. He said he would go till he got stuck with the 4630 jd then go home and get the 4166 and pull everything out himself then keep going on the jd. He said he wouldn't run the 4166 all day cause no a/c but I think he just did that for entertainment lol