Soften shutoff plunger

atha

Looks to me like someone has been buttering on that with a welder, if it wasn’t already damaged internally i would expect it is now, looks to me like a chicken and egg problem with the only solution being to pull the pump and send it out. 

• Like 1

It is time for a new cable, I see the outer part of the cable is not inside the bushing on the injection pump.
Is that a 3cyl D-179 German engine on a 454 or 464?

I believe the part number for the 454/464 cable is 529000R1 and if you google the part number you will find several options.

• Thanks 1

Your cable had problems before it broke. Remove what's left of it from pump. If spring can not move that lever forward to stop screw by its self. You do have pump problems. The spring loaded plunger for start position pushes in very hard if using just your fingers. Using the lever. Not so bad. Can do it with forefinger.

• Thanks 1

At the moment I have to get off the tractor and move the lever by hand to stop the engine. 

Maybe the old cable is brittle. Seems to be of hardened steel. Cant drill it out of the metal piece with the knob on. My idea was to put in an old wire. Im not paying 30 dollars for a new stop start cable maybe to have it break again.

If you google and explore the different links, you will find a $12.68 cable from an A & I dealer that is if you live in the USA.

If the shut off is that hard to move the issue is not the cable and replacing the cable won’t fix the problem. The shut off broke off for a reason a stiff cable is only going to make it difficult to use, not stress the shut off. IMO blaming the cable is like blaming a wrench because a nut is seized. 

59 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

If the shut off is that hard to move the issue is not the cable and replacing the cable won’t fix the problem. The shut off broke off for a reason a stiff cable is only going to make it difficult to use, not stress the shut off. IMO blaming the cable is like blaming a wrench because a nut is seized. 

I think we're on the same page but I think he is thinking the start position plunger is the problem. I see the lever not against the stop with nothing but the piece of wire to hold it. That's why I asked him to remove that  piece of wire. If the spring can't push that lever to the stop. The pump is indeed damaged.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, snoshoe said:

I think we're on the same page but I think he is thinking the start position plunger is the problem. I see the lever not against the stop with nothing but the piece of wire to hold it. That's why I asked him to remove that  piece of wire. If the spring can't push that lever to the stop. The pump is indeed damaged.

What are the odds that lever is correctly oriented? Are they keyed in some fashion? 

The lever has no problem going to shutoff position when the plunger isnt there. 

Dont know how to make the spring softer. Cant take the plunger apart. So maybe the solution is to adjust it a few mm backwards and put a mark on the knob where the start position is.

1 hour ago, atha said:

The lever has no problem going to shutoff position when the plunger isnt there. 

Dont know how to make the spring softer. Cant take the plunger apart. So maybe the solution is to adjust it a few mm backwards and put a mark on the knob where the start position is.

If the problem is really the plunger. The solution would be a new one. If you are going to mark cable. Then you don't need plunger at all.

• Thanks 1