Aftermarket Muffler Options.

Wisconsin Ron

Got four German powered 686's on the farm. Two with original IH/Canada oval mufflers and two with Stanley oval replacements. The Stanley's rattle like crazy like the insides are all loose. Got a Stanley oval on a 966 that doesn't rattle and vibrate like that. Is there other aftermarket choices out there? I have thought about maybe trying a round one if I find one that'll match up. Nothing can compare to the original. 

if it rattles like crazy and you can hear it, sounds like you are sensitive to noise so you are wanting something quiet. 

You could also work with your local muffler shop, they know what lasts the longest from their suppliers and what is quiet - that would be my first option and they could extend/weld on what you need to make it fit right. 

You could also with an automotive company/muffler supplier, yes you will likely pay more but have a better muffler. I called flowmaster and talked to an engineer and he set me up with the proper size/type muffler to fit my skidsteer do get the muffler out of the belly to open up space for cooling and get heat away from hoses/fuel pump, im satisfied with the results. 

They might not have an EXACT fit with the extended height you need but that is an easy remedy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wisconsin Ron said:

Got four German powered 686's on the farm. Two with original IH/Canada oval mufflers and two with Stanley oval replacements. The Stanley's rattle like crazy like the insides are all loose. Got a Stanley oval on a 966 that doesn't rattle and vibrate like that. Is there other aftermarket choices out there? I have thought about maybe trying a round one if I find one that'll match up. Nothing can compare to the original. 

I am not exactly sure what you mean by the Canadian oval muffler, but we got an OEM from our CIH dealer for the B275, it is rounded at the top and the bottom is dished up so in effect the water would drip off the big part of the muffler onto the hood rather than run down the pipe to the manifold. It wasn't wildly more expensive than an aftermarket, and IMO it is a very good quality and a better design than the Stanley style. Point being a dealer muffler is worth the money. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FarmallFan said:

According to CNH's parts lookup site this is the correct muffler for the D-310. https://www.hoober.com/cas-530588r4-muffler

WOW!!  a $400 muffler?   I'm trying to remember what we put on 686/H86 for a factory muffler.  Think it was a taller oval muffler,  black high temp paint, and baffled inside.

Not a fan of Stanley mufflers,  got two stuffed in the corner of the shop I can't even get to right now, one from SH, one from M.

17 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

WOW!!  a $400 muffler?   I'm trying to remember what we put on 686/H86 for a factory muffler.  Think it was a taller oval muffler,  black high temp paint, and baffled inside.

My 686 with the 312 has the factory oval muffler on it. Tall with about a 6” extension to get exhaust up over the canopy.  Didn’t buy it new but the muffler is the original one anyhow. Not a specific pic of muffler but shows in this picture for reference. 

12 hours ago, mmi said:

dave thomure  use to be a member

$$$ but last one you need

Last one I ordered from him was a Stanley. Only reason I ordered from him was to get a good muffler and not a Stanley. Be sure and ask first. Good guy to deal with for sure and knows his product. image.thumb.jpeg.4acfc57868af2e60fc9e0b5944c498bc.jpeg

There's an interesting TV show on Motor Trend TV, we get it via Direct TV, ENGINE MASTERS,  three guys doing parts comparisons on ONE part at a time on a Super-Flo dyno to see what makes HP and what doesn't.  They just did a show, "1000 HP Muffler Showdown" They buy all their stuff from Summit, they had one longer round stainless muffler that should quiet a 70 hp tractor,  think it was $145.  And they've done several other exhaust tests, single vs dual,  how much a tailpipe increases hp from open headers.

I was always a fan of the FARMALL 460 muffler on an H, SH, 300,350.  The '39 H got repainted about late summer 1964, the old dented M muffler was replaced with a VHT White painted 460 muffler.  That muffler got swapped onto the SH May of '68, still looking good, and not sure what exactly happened but it was sitting in the 2-stall tractor garage with the bottom busted out of it about mid-1980's, and a Stanley muffler on the tractor.  It's got a 304 Stainless tubing straight pipe now since about 1995.  The Stanley was too tall to get in/out the 7 ft high shop door, the straight pipe fits.

I didn't think the barn doors were all that tall back on the farm,  the mounted picker had to sit outside, the wagon elevator was too tall for the doors anywhere.  But the 4010 had the full length extension on the stock muffler with the Deere rain cap, and it fit everywhere, and the 450 had a 2 ft extension on the stock IH M/SM/400/450 muffler, no rain cap, but needed the extension with the Kahne tractor cab.