856 tractor pulling

Nebraska1206

Wrapped up the tractor pulling season this weekend with our final pull of the year in Bancroft, NE this Saturday.  Brother made some changes to the 856 for the final pull, mainly installing these radial tires I had.  That made the 856 have to go on more of a diet to make weight, but the work paid off, it just barely made the 8700 lb weight class, and the 856 performed great.  Here's his winning pass in the 8700 lb class.

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, WESnIL said:

You mean the radials were enough more in weight to cause a problem?  What did you do to lose the extra weight?

Originally, we wanted to maintain the original 856 appearance as much as possible, so we still had the two 6 volt batteries on the sides.  Those were removed for a single, smaller 12 volt battery, as well as the original seat suspension & the LH seat support casting beside the hydraulic valves.

1 hour ago, ihrondiesel said:

Was this a farm stock speed limited pull, or just farm stock? Looked like a good pull and a good time!

For the particular class that the 856 is in, yes.  It's a non-turbo farm tractor class, 8700 & 9700 lbs, 9 mph speed limit.  Never seen anyone get close to the speed limit, 5 is pretty common, one 970 Case that's a powershift will shift from 1 to 3, he'll get about 6.5-7 mph, his is the fastest I've seen, otherwise 5 is common.

17 minutes ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Did the radials make a large improvement do you think?

Yes, they did.  The sidewalls flexed better, allowed for a better footprint.  Also, these radials have quite a bit more life left in them than the Super All Traction's that were on there, those tires are worn down quite a bit more.  Pretty much every other tractor we were competing against was running radials, it's just easier for the green ones to make weight.  It's a little harder for an 806/856.

1 minute ago, 1256pickett said:

A 56 series with clam shell fenders, I like it! 

That was something we really wanted when my brother was getting the 856 ready for pulling, we didn't want just a fender-delete.  It took some looking, and Dad was actually the one who found them nearby, with his older method of placing a want-ad in a local farm paper.

• Like 1

I like her "second lease on life" about 30' from the end.....about 15' after he pulled the stick.......just about stopped... dug her way to some traction and then the 407 torque curve took over.......cool end to the run!!!!!

• Like 2