Disappearing coolant! Sump oil increased 😕

Garth

Hi all.

long story short, got a 1988 ih 685 4x4. Brought cheap as a project. Starts sounds fine.

However haven’t driven it yet properly other than unloading using shuttle lever and parking up. So went to start my exciting project and checked fluids and found radiator dry and rusty, so put coolant and water etc in and came back 4 days later as was busy opened rad cap to find out it was bone dry again. But no leaks. Checked engine oil to find dipstick was over flowing with a watery oil. (Never started either since coolant so no pressure etc) it just sat there and managed to find its way into the sump?

removed radiator since to find the bloody thing is full of gunk. And I mean full as in a trickle of water wouldn’t even pass through. The tractor was used only for yard scraper for last ten years and maybe only used for that as he knew there was a problem etc.

and never used gears only shuttle, as gear linkage was seized which I have now un seized.

any thoughts??

I am not familiar with the engine used but some of the (depending on the engine) possibilities are , bad Oring on a sleeve, cracked sleeve, cracked block pinhole in a sleeve, bad oil cooler . My guess is that a head gasket wouldn't cause you to lose all the coolant unless it's running but if ram low in coolant it can ruin the gasket and other stuff

Hi, a 685 will have a German D-239 Diesel engine and in the past someone probably over heated it  and caused the O-rings on the sleeves to leak coolant into the crankcase.
Do as CIHTECH says, drop the oil pan and put water in it and look for drips. Unfortunately with 4x4 it is a bit more difficult to drop oil pan.
Do you have a service manual?

• Like 1

I would remove the oil pan, add water to the cooling system, pressurize it to a few PSI (not over 5-10 PSI) put some dry news paper under the engine and determine where it is leaking from.  That is a wet sleeve engine.  If previous owner was running tap water  for coolant there is probably major head and block corrosion.  We have been running a D179 engine since 2007, very reliable and fine running engine. We did a total engine overhaul in 2007, because of previous owner neglect.  If you could use  used sleeves with pistons, I believe I still have all 3 we removed from our engine, none of them were pitted or actually physically bad. If you are short of funds (free to you) they could help out.  D179 and D239 has the same sleeves so far as I remember. Good luck with your project.

• Like 2

Our D310 dropped the O-rings twice in our 686. The last time they forgot to put oil in it and cooked what was not wrecked before-And yes it was a large case-ih dealer that did it. Good luck; all what we did not do was change the coolant as often as we should have(every three years), it did have a conditioner on it but the sleeves still rotted away.

Edited by VacDaddyt
punctuation