Channels for Slotted Grates-1666 Combine

Red1566

I am installing slotted grates in my 1666 combine for soybeans this year. I’m curious of how many channels everyone installs on these grates for beans and if they install them on the inside or outside of the grate? 

I’m relatively new to combining so I don’t have a great feel for the thought process on how many to add.

Thanks in advance for any help!

38 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Better off with key stock grates for corn and soybeans.

I was going to use them for corn but I’ve been told by a couple guys that say slotted grates help prevent overloading the chaffer in soybeans . Is that not your experience?

Much better separation with key stock, smooth ones are for crops like wheat where you are trying to preserve the straw. The majority of the crop should be separated out in the concave, not much left to come out in the grate area.

2 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Much better separation with key stock, smooth ones are for crops like wheat where you are trying to preserve the straw. The majority of the crop should be separated out in the concave, not much left to come out in the grate area.

Ok thank you very much for the response, I’ll keep that in mind.

I don’t think you want slotted grates for beans. They are generally for small grains.