The smell of new-mown hay

Dave Downs

Neighbors field was cut 2 days ago and I’ve been enjoying the sweet smell of new mown hay.

My hay making days are over, mowed with the H, raked with the SC, then back to the H for baling. The last 10 years I was only doing 2-1/2 acres but that was enough to feed my donkey!

• Like 8

I'm hoping for that smell soon.  I have a substantial (for me) amount to cut.  The current weather window was a bust due to the fields being squish squish wet yet.  Shooting for next week at this point.  Was into southern Lancaster county yesterday.  Lots of hay mowed.  According to a guy I talked to they were on the edge of the hurricane remnants and got much less then us followed by half as much last week again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

Neighbors field was cut 2 days ago and I’ve been enjoying the sweet smell of new mown hay.

My hay making days are over, mowed with the H, raked with the SC, then back to the H for baling. The last 10 years I was only doing 2-1/2 acres but that was enough to feed my donkey!

What baler did you use with the H?  Engine or pto powered?  

I started the morning mowing today. Then my relief driver took over and I merged until 3:30 . We drove by many of the same fields on the church hayride tonight. It is a great smell 

IMG_20210912_181559661.jpg

IMG_20210912_181636587.jpg

• Like 7

I LOVE the smell of hay- fresh cut, slightly dried, dry enough to bale, everything. I used to love milking cows with the hay mow freshly filled. I’d stand under the chute where the breeze blew through catching the scent and just suck it in like a hippy down-wind from a fat doobie!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2