W-9 transmission

Hello all ,    Done a transmission oil change in the W-9  .   Calls for 10 gallons in the owners manual .   Yet now when the oil level plug on the side of the transmission case is opened oil pours out like its too full  .  Is 10 gallons too much ?  Or why should  gear oil come out if thats the amount the manual calls for ?          

I can't say for certain, but there may be

1) trapped air taking up space when you're filling.

2) trapped oil that isn't draining. If this is the case, there won't be anything you can do about it.

Either way, I'd fill it to the mark, run it around for a bit, and then see if it takes any more.

There are 2 drain plugs , one under the tranny and one to the side of the rear differential  .  I let everything run out  ,  then I put in 10 gallons of recommended wt. oil  .  Its why is there too much at the side oil level plug now  ?   I dont think it will hurt to let the oil run out till its level at the side oil level check plug  .      Too much is not always good either . 

Maybe the tractor isn't quite level, maybe there's stuff settled in the case, maybe it didn't quite all drain.  My guess is 10 gallons is for a completely dry case w/ belt pulley.  If the trans sounds good, I wouldn't fret.  Just let it drain to the proper level and forget about it 

Have you moved it yet?  There is a partition between the trans and differential that hinders flow between them.  It takes some time to level out.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 7288cdn said:

Have you moved it yet?  There is a partition between the trans and differential that hinders flow between them.  It takes some time to level out.  

Depending on what sludge is in the bottom it can be a while

I always do oil changes on the level ground  .    There was no noticeable sludge when it was drained . It had gear oil with kerosene  in it .  ( Not my doing )  .   It was drained  , refilled w/10 gallons   , sat for a few days and pulled a harrow disk   .   Just happen to recheck the oil level plug and hummm ?   

had that problem on an I-6 NAVY TUG pulled the top cover and cleaned the sludge out and washed out with fuel oil

It's a job and half But best to get that crap out

3 minutes ago, m.c.farmerboy said:

had that problem on an I-6 NAVY TUG pulled the top cover and cleaned the sludge out and washed out with fuel oil

It's a job and half But best to get that crap out

I think that is behind the whole problem that I can not see  .      Another fall job .  

3 minutes ago, OLD 10-20 said:

I think that is behind the whole problem that I can not see  .      Another fall job .  

what ever you do don't get in there with an air hose , just drain the oil and clean out what you can with a putty knife then flush with fuel oil a parts cleaning brush will work well