Super c pulling , total failure

So I pulled 2 times with the super c I got for Zekes first tractor, and talk about awful.  The first pull"on gravel" I pulled 52 feet and spun out , then next tractor was another super c and he went 150+ feet. Tried it again on another gravel track,  went 5 feet and spun out , I even was way throttled back to get it to not spin so much. After me another super c got 2nd place 100 and some odd feet. Had around 10psi in the tires . Any suggestions 20210730_190420.thumb.jpg.8c86e11f7373263bcd86eb2e8aec0961.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry if this is a stupid comment I don’t know anything about pulling. But I would thing the connection point would be critical. Height, distance from back axle. If your spinning you have the power but no traction. 

• Like 3

Ive   watch a lot of pull most guys use to much power thus spin out. and most run down the same spot in the track thus hitting the same hole move over. also dish your hubs in. this will help keep the differential turning both wheels.  one last thing make a hose to connect between both wheel  air valve stems  so both tire pressure are exactly the same.  connect them up and let sit and  the tire pressure equalize.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MarkG said:

Sorry if this is a stupid comment I don’t know anything about pulling. But I would thing the connection point would be critical. Height, distance from back axle. If your spinning you have the power but no traction. 

Mine had the same hitch and clevis and the other super c

17 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

what was different about the Cs that went down the track vs yours would be my first inclination for inspection 

Only thing I could see is they had 23 degree tires I had 45s and his wheels were spread out a little more

I'm another person who has never pulled competitively so this may or may not apply.  What gear were you pulling in?  I was taught, and have found that it actually helps, to go up at least one gear in low traction situations.  You reduce the amount of torque being applied to the rear wheels which lessens the chance of wheel spin, but are transmitting the same amount of power.  

• Like 1

Also,  adjust your hitch to whatever the maximum hitch height allowed. Walk the track before pulling,  pick the tightest and most level area to run in but don't weave all over.  If it's a mph class, pick a gear you can run almost wide open and not go over.  Soft track=less air pressure,  hard tight clay tracks, more air pressure. Adjust your governor to get all rpms out you are allowed (example 10% over stock). Be right at maximum weight.  If a class is 3500# with a 100 lb allowance,  be at 3600#. It's a fun game,  a C is a good puller. Keep at it and you will do great! Just have to figure it out 

• Like 1

Also,  compete in your  own mind against other tractors like yours and don't get discouraged if you aren't beating the guy with the stroker crank or combine engine.  I don't get many 1st places but I am competitive with an old M that can go back home and work all day wide open.  20210818_121133.thumb.jpg.55a1de7746508bc524ca77ee715d4888.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

Mine had the same hitch and clevis and the other super c

Including height?  1" lower hitch height can make a world of difference.  If it is the old factory drawbar most are bent.  A fixed clevis shimmed with washers can also keep the hook higher as the clevis does sag under load, the twisted clevis is also a advantage as it sits higher then a conventional clevis and that can be shimmed rigid with washers too.

I prefer cut steel plates that are adjustable by moving the bolt locations forward or back, off the drawbar depending on track conditions.

It seems like your drawbar was to low.  So either you need to raise it as much as the rule book allows or make a hitch that sits back farther that allows weigh transfer off the front end to the rear tires.

Scott

• Like 3

Getting beat bad is good . 
Can’t say much about gravel ,like pulling on ball bearings . But your competition is your teacher . 
Did you use a psi balence hose on the tires to balence pressure? Make one and start there . I have found even in like tires mfg. the Douro meter of rubber is different. I found one good year right side is about 3/4 of a pound less than the left why I don’t know but .it helps to keep a log book so you don’t repeat mistakes . 
what is the tire ply rating of your tires ? More plys the better. 
id say the majority of successful Farmalls c in northwest pa. Run Firestone , more lugs more traction. 
please show more pictures of your hitch. 
What are your wheel set at narrow the better. 
go to the recorders table and record the distances of your competitors. 
get a good low pressure moroso tire gage. 
I would find the center of gravity of the C . That way you can balence it to make a complete pull using sled pulling down force on rear axle. You have to keep the front end down to get maximum down force. 
Get rid of clevis, put a d ring quick hitch bolted tight to drawbar. As close center of rear axle as rules allow. 
Got any Oliver 60 or cockshutt s to compete against if not go find them , they seem to beat a c by 20 feet here. 

I ll say this forget about the engine till you have traction worked out . Waste of time and money if you don’t know gription.

pull at as many different track as you can and as many different competitions you can ,to learn how to make the c more competitive. 

• Like 2