R12

Southernman13

How did you put the R134 in if it has R12 in it? It should have had R12 fittings. If it had 134 fittings, then I’m sure it has 134 already. R12 was too expensive here to replace 15 years ago. I don’t have any R12 systems left and haven’t had one for over a decade. 

Well there’s a tag on compressor that says R12 but of course I don’t read directions lol. But anyways the low side plugged right onto the fitting. Th high side wasn’t same size as my gauge fitting  though. Also both high and low side ports are directly on the back of the compressor not in the hoses 

Yea sir. Put it on yesterday and she working good now! Speed sensor isn’t working. I checked it out and the wires coming out of it had been but connected and one side was loose. Reconnected it and still not working but the wires look like they may be damaged. There wasn’t a support there and the wires were just hanging 

• Like 1

Looks like it was converted to me, I have similar adapters on a couple of converted systems. I only have one R12 rig left, one I got from my dad that he never had a reason to convert. I did have to add a can this year, it works way better now. I think I’m down to only 1 or 2 cans of R 12 left in my stash. It used to be worth a fortune, but now not so much because everything has been converted.

So how do you convert a system to R134a? I’m thinking this one has been since it has an adapter. I’ve got to get an adapter for the high side but these ports are so close together I’m not sure I can hook up the hi and low side gauges at the same time. The quick connects are pretty big in diameter 

I think they used to sell a different dryer for some systems depending on what refrigerant you used. I don’t think there is anything you need to do these days other than flush the system and vacuum it down real good. The last time I priced a filling a tractor with R12 was 14 years ago and just the refrigerant was going to be almost $900 then. I haven’t even thought about R12 in years. 

i converted several systems. Put the converter ends on. Pumped out with a vacumn pump tthen added 134. Every system works well that i did. Easy to do .Get the ends online or Napa. A set of gauges is a must

Tenfo. Yeah I got the adaptor for the high side this morning at Napa. Haven’t tried to connect gauges yet but it’s gonna be tight if they both fit on at same time. May have to come up with a smaller outside diameter coupler for the gauge side. But we’ll see shortly 

3 hours ago, Southernman13 said:

Tenfo. Yeah I got the adaptor for the high side this morning at Napa. Haven’t tried to connect gauges yet but it’s gonna be tight if they both fit on at same time. May have to come up with a smaller outside diameter coupler for the gauge side. But we’ll see shortly 

They make angled ones just for that reason.

Haven’t looked into the angled fittings I did see them online. Question is the straight fitting adapter for the high side I have also has a schrader valve in it. Do I need to remove the schrader valve in the original r12 high side  outlet on the compressor befor I screw the adapter on there? Makes sense but the only way I see to do that is vacuum  the system down or I will loose all the refrigerant. Is that correct?

Yes you will lose refrigerant but I never suck it back down after 50 psi  or less you can easily screw them on and recharge it