175B Early Style Track Adjuster

JoelG

Hello everyone, new guy here. I picked up a IH 175B S/N 9930 for work around the farm, I'm rebuilding the right front idler assembly and track adjuster. It looks like I have an early type of adjuster (604 307 C91)  and it seems that seals are not available. Would any one know if the updated adjuster piston (629 256 C1) will fit in the early style cylinder? Or have any dimensions of the piston to machine? Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  

21 hours ago, JoelG said:

Hello everyone, new guy here. I picked up a IH 175B S/N 9930 for work around the farm, I'm rebuilding the right front idler assembly and track adjuster. It looks like I have an early type of adjuster (604 307 C91)  and it seems that seals are not available. Would any one know if the updated adjuster piston (629 256 C1) will fit in the early style cylinder? Or have any dimensions of the piston to machine? Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  

Did you try a hydraulic shop and try matching something up? If this fails, might consider making a slug that takes a readily obtainable seal , and shorten the piston to accommodate the width of the slug.

My neighbor used to convert all his old screw style adjusters with a homemade hydraulic tensioner, sorry didn’t think to take a pic, sorry can’t answer your specific question but if NLA you can probably come up with something else, have you tried FP Smith?

You can fit a common seal to your piston if you can accurately measure the one you have. At worst it may require a little machining. Parker is one of the biggest in hyd.seals, they have tons of info free online, look up Parker seal design handbook PDF. A hydraulic seal shop that sells seals and makes hoses is your best bet or online sales is good.   A shop that does tear down and repairs often does not carry a big line of seals they get them from a seal distributor. We have a excellent seal store in Kansas City called Swan Engineering I go to often, I'm sure they ship also or you may find one near you. Polypak is a trade name but that is the type you would wand in a hyd. track tensioner. That is the seal I use for 10'000 psi cylanders, very tough.

Good luck

Thanks for your replies, I think I'll purchase the more available seal kits and turn down a new piston based on the dimensions of the seals themselves. Hopefully I will get the ID dimension right without it being too loose and leaking. I would hate to redo it once its together, splitting the track was a real bear. Joel

The seals them self will have .010-.015 squeeze per side and the piston should have about .002" clearance per side. Diameters have two sides to a cross section.  If the piston is not made of bearing material like bronze or aluminum it will need wear bands also called bearings to keep it from contacting the cylinder walls. Stick to book specs on the gland sizes ( groove ) for the seals.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:33 AM, just Dave said:

The seals them self will have .010-.015 squeeze per side and the piston should have about .002" clearance per side. Diameters have two sides to a cross section.  If the piston is not made of bearing material like bronze or aluminum it will need wear bands also called bearings to keep it from contacting the cylinder walls. Stick to book specs on the gland sizes ( groove ) for the seals.

That's the info I'm looking for. Thanks!

• Thanks 1