Manual tire changers

12_Guy

Looking for advice on the cheap, manual tire changers. Reviews are mixed, not that I put a lot of faith in them. So I am asking you guys for real world user input. I don't have the space or need to buy a tire machine. It would see occasional use for trailer, wagon and front tractor tires with the occasional lawnmower tire for good measure. Thanks in advance. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304093727317?hash=item46cd660a55:g:HkgAAOSw4~1cXTr0  Bought oneof these several years ago. Not bad for breaking tire down and getting off the rim. I do not like tool for installing tire. I usually use tire irons to do that. Had a big ol kid working for me a few years ago and he bent the mounting bar just wasn't strong enough for him.

• Thanks 1

Can't say on anything current but I know years ago buddy's dad had a manual tire changer in his garage. We used it a lot and I don't recall bending or breaking anything. But it was probably heavier duty than some available now? 

I have a rim clamp machine now that works pretty good for tractor fronts as well as wagon tires and can change out and fix our car tired as well on aluminum wheels. I can do up to 20" rims. I have around a 1000 in it. My guess is you will need roughly the same working floor space wether it be a manual or powered machine.

• Thanks 1

I did buy a harbor freight one and it worked real well. I would recommend two things though! On the piece that presses on the bead would be to weld in a piece between the two strips that hold the piece that pushes the bead. The other is to make a stronger bar that installs the bead back on the rim. I changed out four tires in less than two hours. I mounted it on the center of the garage floor and remove it when not in use.

• Thanks 1

I was having a hard time wrapping my head around how that worked so I watched a video with some clown with a Russian accent. In this video in 11 minutes he changed a tire on an aluminum rim and absolutely destroyed the aluminum rim. If the harbor freight one is 40 bucks, and one from northern is 150, I would go buy the ken-tool one for a little more in hopes that they have sorted out some  of the crude manufacturing and design issues. Probably a wagon wheel wouldn’t matter, but of you found yourself working on your own vehicle or something decent the collateral damage would be enough to justify the extra cost. Also the one he had looked like larger center rims, like that of a full size  truck would pass right on over. A really annoying feature if half the tires you want to do don't work. 

i had one from Gemplers that i mounted in the middle of a 4x4 sheet of 3/4" plywood that had 2x10's nailed on the back side for added support, that way i could stand on it so it wouldn't move around but yet i was able to move out of the way when not in use.

mine was just like this but only gray in color.

61S3l1Vjn5L._AC_SL1296_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I Also the one he had looked like larger center rims, like that of a full size  truck would pass right on over. A really annoying feature if half the tires you want to do don't work. 

take an old car flywheel and lay that over the post first then put the rim on top of that to solve the oversize center hole problem

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

It would see occasional use for trailer, wagon and front tractor tires with the occasional lawnmower tire for good measure. 

Don't really need a tire changer for that compared to tackling frustrating tires.

I have one like pictured above. I find that the hardest part is breaking the bead. Mounting the replacement tire is a breeze. I might get a manual bead breaker to go along with it.

• Thanks 1